5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto rear braking and towing question

vtcats

Reaction score
I have a 2024 Limited. I was hoping to definitively clarify what “feature” activated to auto brake while backing up and it thinks you are about to hit something so it automatically apply the brakes. I was towing a small tender/dingy. While backing up and maneuvering the boat and trailer down the launch the truck braked on me a few times. I’ve had this happen just backing into my garage if moving to fast to close to objects. Moving slow typically keeps this from happening. In the case of launching the dingy, I just went into my setting and turned off just about every safety feature there was (forward collision, rear park sense brake assist, etc). It solved the issue but I wasn’t entirely sure what did it. I’m thinking it was the rear park sense brake assist. Additionally I realized, in the future I should toggle off the park sense buttons (at least the rear button).
Thoughts?

dajogejr

Reaction score
anytime I towed with my 15 or my current 23 limited, turning off rear park sense is first.
Once in a while, if I park in a parking lot with grass/high weeds close to a parking block, the park assist kicks in because the greenery trips it up.
I think.. a read up on a digital owners manual (which, is on their app as well) to clearly define what all the safety features do is the best first step.
there are a gazillion options in the setup on the screen, but the most common things you’ll need are a button to push away.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Ive read numerous times on this forum about this auto brake feature while backing up. I have a tight garage entry necessitating my backing up very close to a fence and large tree. Ive done this every day since bringing this truck home, so 5 months now, and its never activated this feature.
I have not disabled anything, and wondered if it is perhaps speed related ?
I keep waiting for it, as its apparently a violent action !

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disabled the rear braking on both my trucks. Step drive along with tall grass would set it off.

vtcats

Reaction score
I have read the manual a few times and it wasn’t clear. under settings and safety there are auto braking and collision braking options, but I now believe it’s none of those. I believe it’s “rear braking assist” and I also believe yes, it is speed related as well. I’ve had this go off in my own very narrow garage, but was going a little quicker than normal. When going very slow it’s never gone off. It startling as first but it’s not a big deal.
I’m wondering if turning the toggle switch for the REAR PARKING SENSORS (below the radio, not in the menu settings), if turning that off would also prevent the rear brake assist from going off. I assume not. But I wish it would because it’s easier and faster having a hard toggle button than having to dive into the vehicle setting screen.
I actually like this feature as it’s saved me a few times from hitting my garbage I had moved directly behind the truck an forgot about it. But again, hard toggle switch’s are MUCH easier to remember and use when I need this feature off.

I also feel that when a trailer is hooked up, this should automatically be turned off…

Ramfancy

Reaction score
The toggle under the screen that turns off rear sensors should be all you need to turn off. When I hook a trailer to my truck it automatically disables it.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what worked for me.
View attachment 184245

That's the lane assist system that has nothing to do with automatic braking. It was just a coincidence that the auto brakes didn't apply when you pushed that button; it wasn't what prevented them from applying.

The rear park sense button below the radio also disengages automatic braking when backing up.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The toggle under the screen that turns off rear sensors should be all you need to turn off. When I hook a trailer to my truck it automatically disables it.
Oh yea, you are correct. That top button allows me to dodge pot holes.
Bottom toggle is it. IMG_3093.jpeg

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I don't understand why it doesn't disable it when a trailer is attached. You are smart enough to know there is a trailer and how long it is, but dumb enough to think I am going to hit something when it is there.
Is there a setting that I am missing in the settings screen?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand why it doesn't disable it when a trailer is attached. You are smart enough to know there is a trailer and how long it is, but dumb enough to think I am going to hit something when it is there.

Just push the button. Not everything in life is automatic.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Well it automatically dims the lights, turns the radio up when you go faster, knows you have a trailer and how long it is, automatic power steps, automatic braking and gas with ACC. Is this too much to ask? LOL!!!!

vtcats

Reaction score
That's the lane assist system that has nothing to do with automatic braking. It was just a coincidence that the auto brakes didn't apply when you pushed that button; it wasn't what prevented them from applying.

The rear park sense button below the radio also disengages automatic braking when backing up.
THIS (REAR PARK SENSE button) will be very helpful if true. Hopefully you are correct. That way I don’t have to dig in the settings menu!
Of course the auto feature when a trailer attached would be even better. Ha.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it automatically dims the lights, turns the radio up when you go faster, knows you have a trailer and how long it is, automatic power steps, automatic braking and gas with ACC. Is this too much to ask? LOL!!!!

Yes, it's asking too much because some people may not want it automatically disabled. I've found my autobraking does not activate when backing a trailer unless the trailer is ****ed at a pretty extreme angle.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Mine does with my 7 pin connector. Maybe it doesn’t with the 4 pin?

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned mine off the first time it tried to break my neck and haven't turned it on since. I do leave the front one on in case I have to nose up close to something though.

Users who are viewing this thread