5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-park disable

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Hi all,

How would I disable the auto-park feature? It is very annoying. I would like to decide when the truck shifts to park, not the computer.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How would I disable the auto-park feature? It is very annoying. I would like to decide when the truck shifts to park, not the computer.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!
You can't keep the truck in gear with the engine off, that is the auto-park feature where it goes into park when you turn the engine off.

Are you talking about something different?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Auto Park is the result of wrongful death lawsuits for not having the feature so I'm pretty sure they will not allow it to be disabled. If you remove your seatbelt and open the door it will slam it into park so you don't run over yourself like Anton Yelchin did in the story below.

Star Trek Actor's Parents File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against FCA

Below are the 3 conditions listed in the manual that drives AutoPark

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver turns off the
engine, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and an 8-speed
transmission
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
 Ignition is switched from ON/RUN to ACC

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the vehicle
with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and an 8-speed
transmission
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
 Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
 Driver’s door is ajar
 Brake pedal is not pressed
The message “AutoPark Engaged Shift To P Then Shift To
Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.

If the driver shifts into PARK while moving, the vehicle may
AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage ONLY when vehicle speed is 1.2 mph
(1.9 km/h) or less.
The message “Vehicle Speed Is Too High To Shift to P” will
be displayed in the instrument cluster if vehicle speed is
above 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h).

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Auto Park is the result of wrongful death lawsuits for not having the feature so I'm pretty sure they will not allow it to be disabled. If you remove your seatbelt and open the door it will slam it into park so you don't run over yourself like Anton Yelchin did in the story below.

Star Trek Actor's Parents File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against FCA
Nothing will stop it from happening.
Do you think trucks get towed without being in neutral while the engine is off?
"Yelchin’s vehicle, a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee equipped with the confusing shifter, was found in neutral with the engine running after it rolled backwards and pinned him against a brick gatepost."

The dude was an idiot, he left his car in neutral, with the engine on, then went downhill from it.
Can't fix stupid.
You can keep the ram in neutral by pulling the lever on the left, but I don't believe this is what OP is talking about, I bet he talking about how you need to put the truck into tow mode to bypass it from letting you hit the gas with the door open while inside the truck.

If the truck is going 0 mph and the fob leaves while the engine is on, the truck should go into park by itself, I think that is fair. Would even prevent some of the carjackings.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the truck is going 0 mph and the fob leaves while the engine is on, the truck should go into park by itself, I think that is fair. Would even prevent some of the carjackings.

All the carjacker would need to do is close the door, put it in gear and drive away. They don't even need the keyfob to be in the vehicle.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
All the carjacker would need to do is close the door, put it in gear and drive away. They don't even need the keyfob to be in the vehicle.
Correct that's what i'm saying.
The autopark feature should not allow it to be in anything besides park if the engine is on and fob is not detected.

The stuff you linked above is from Ram and not 100% accurate ie in ways to bypass.
For example if you put it in neutral and stay in the truck it will roll wherever you want.
Tow\Haul mode also bypasses some of those conditions and allows me to maneuver the truck while the door is open with no seat-belt on while standing on the side steps.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The autopark feature should not allow it to be in anything besides park if the engine is on and fob is not detected.

Agreed and I don't know why they didn't design it that way.

I recently watched an amusing YouTube police video where a car thief got pissed at a cop for shutting off his stolen jeep because he didn't have the fob and could not restart it. I couldn't believe it was possible to drive away without the keyfob being in the vehicle so I went out and stated my truck then got out and placed the keyfob on my deck. I then proceeded to drive the truck around my small town. Except for a message on the cluster that said the key fob had left the vehicle, everything worked fine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed and I don't know why they didn't design it that way.

I recently watched an amusing YouTube police video where a car thief got pissed at a cop for shutting off his stolen jeep because he didn't have the fob and could not restart it. I couldn't believe it was possible to drive away without the keyfob being in the vehicle so I went out and stated my truck then got out and placed the keyfob on my deck. I then proceeded to drive the truck around my small town. Except for a message on the cluster that said the key fob had left the vehicle, everything worked fine.
Yep...
Same with TRX too.
I think Ram doesn't care if it gets stolen as insurance pays and then you buy another new one so they get a sale.

There are still over companies with much higher theft rate then Ram so they stay out of the light for the most part.

There are lots of software\hardways ways to have keyless\passive entry and still be secure not even counting how people can just program new fobs without the owners or original one. Think that would be locked down to dealerships only and require a connected to the internet device to receive authorization from Ram to allow a new one to be made, not just some random who bought a tool from Aliexpress.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Tow\Haul mode also bypasses some of those conditions and allows me to maneuver the truck while the door is open with no seat-belt on while standing on the side steps.
Yes, this is exactly what annoys me! I can't have the door open when maneuvering with a trailer/parking. Thanks for the tip! I'll put it in tow/haul mode when doing this next time and see if it works. Appreciate it!

I have had this truck for about 4 months now and it is definitely one of the most comfortable, powerful trucks I've ever owned. But the bells, and alerts, and auto-parks, and reminders are almost too much for me. I'm not one of those people that need an idiot-proof truck, I've done pretty good so far on my own.

Cort’s20

Reaction score
Also, I turned off the traction control and went to go play in the snow today and while I'm feeding it the onions, I see the traction control light flash and the power seemed to reduce...does the traction control OFF mode not really do anything?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also, I turned off the traction control and went to go play in the snow today and while I'm feeding it the onions, I see the traction control light flash and the power seemed to reduce...does the traction control OFF mode not really do anything?
Pretty much
In 4HI you can do a complete disable but now in auto or 2wd.
In 4HI you hold down the button and a message will popup on the driver's screen for a moment.

W Six

Reaction score
Yes, this is exactly what annoys me! I can't have the door open when maneuvering with a trailer/parking. Thanks for the tip! I'll put it in tow/haul mode when doing this next time and see if it works. Appreciate it!

I have had this truck for about 4 months now and it is definitely one of the most comfortable, powerful trucks I've ever owned. But the bells, and alerts, and auto-parks, and reminders are almost too much for me. I'm not one of those people that need an idiot-proof truck, I've done pretty good so far on my own.
I'm right there with you!

Cort’s20

Reaction score
So back to the traction control: I found out from a friend that if you continue to hold the button down for a few more seconds, it chimes and totally turns it off. Nice right? Only now it chimes every 30 seconds to make sure I know it’s off. Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread