5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Headlights Too Sensitive

Tommy R

Reaction score
Hi all,

The auto headlights on my ‘19 are so sensitive and come on when it’s barely overcast. The problem is my dash then gets super dim and I can hardly read anything. Then I increase the brightness of the dash only to later be blinded when the headlights come on at night. I’ve looked, but haven’t found a way to adjust this sensitivity. And unfortunately I am traveling and don’t have my manual. Can anyone help shed some light on this one?

Thanks!

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Hi all,

The auto headlights on my ‘19 are so sensitive and come on when it’s barely overcast. The problem is my dash then gets super dim and I can hardly read anything. Then I increase the brightness of the dash only to later be blinded when the headlights come on at night. I’ve looked, but haven’t found a way to adjust this sensitivity. And unfortunately I am traveling and don’t have my manual. Can anyone help shed some light on this one?

Thanks!
Here's a link to the manual, don't know how much help it's gonna be though as I'm fairly sure there isn't a way to adjust it.

https://5thgenrams.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2019-RAM-1500_All_New-OM-3rd_R2.pdf

Chris

Reaction score
Best thing to do on those days is to switch from "Auto" to "Off" in the headlight buttons/knob, then switch back to "Auto" at night to turn them back on.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surely that isn't standard behavior.

I mean sometimes shadows get cast onto the sensor and headlights might turn on "early" but... the next logic level should be to leave dash/radio brightness at daytime levels. Then after a deeper darkness is sensed, the dash/radio should dim to nighttime levels. This is how my 2018 Durango works to blend the transition from day to dusk to night.

Try turning the incab dimmer switch up. If not fixed, you may have a glitch that needs dealer attention.

Chris

Reaction score
Surely that isn't standard behavior.

I mean sometimes shadows get cast onto the sensor and headlights might turn on "early" but... the next logic level should be to leave dash/radio brightness at daytime levels. Then after a deeper darkness is sensed, the dash/radio should dim to nighttime levels. This is how my 2018 Durango works to blend the transition from day to dusk to night.

Try turning the incab dimmer switch up. If not fixed, you may have a glitch that needs dealer attention.
OP is turning the in-cab dimmer switch up; that's the problem, when it is up it is then too bright for night and OP needs to turn it back down again, which is then too dim for overcast conditions.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I think its just the way it was designed. My wifes Jeep does the same thing.

I almost think the headlights are tied into the clock. On the way to work this morning at 6:30 the headlights were on. It was very light and I would not have even thought about turning on headlights. Several times through out the trip the lights came on and went off.

gmab

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!

THIS.
Probably my biggest gripe with the vehicle. Wish the knob went from 0-100% rather than 0-40% + 100%(detent)

RPeezy

Reaction score
Yep, I have the same complaint. It's pretty minor, in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't bother me too much. I just adjust the dimmer knob. I do find it mildly annoying though.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread as I’m curious if this has been updated since the last post.

It can be 9:00am in the morning with the Florida sun shining and if I hit the shadow of the tree my screen goes into night mode. My 2019 had the 8.4” screen, but I assume the sensor was the same and it never had this issue.

Any idea here on how to adjust this? Thanks!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually have the opposite problem.., my headlights are slow to come on during transitions to darkness. For example, on the way to work I drive through a couple of tunnels. Every car‘s auto headlights behind me come on right when they enter the tunnel... My auto headlights don’t come on until 8-10 seconds later as I’m about to exit the tunnel. Which makes them pointless as they’re off most of the time in the tunnel.

I would actually love to turn UP the sensitivity! Don’t think there is a way though.

I also hate when the headlights cycle on/off during early morning or late evening when they can’t decide whether to be on or off. I think they wear out quicker when they constantly cycle like that.. so I do run the switch in Off until I think I need them On.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really. It's a light sensor on your dash. They are not very sophisticated. The ones on buildings and streetlights are primitive.

It's just a mass produced pickup truck you won't find the same level of tech as a ship being sent to explore other planets.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I can adjust the light sensor sensitivity in my much cheaper Subaru.

It really should be a standard feature on all modern vehicles.

But no there isn’t a solution for the ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread