5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto eBrake disengagement!

ClancyO

Reaction score
I learned something new today, I searched the forum, couldn’t find a related thread so I thought I’d share...

My last truck (Nissan Titan) had a crap eBrake. I never used it as I’d found it was mostly a one-time-use-only thing (shoes would delaminate easily). So long story longer, I don’t use the eBrake on any automatic transmission car. But my new house/driveway is on a steep incline, and I don’t like hanging the transmission on park, so I’ve started applying the eBrake every time I park. And the other day I noticed it disengaged itself when I shifted into drive, but it didn’t do it consistently and I couldn’t figure out why. Sometimes shifting from park to drive to park to drive would do it, but again, definitely kludgy. Today I figured it out. Step on brake to start the truck (doh!) BUT, and this is the important part, do not release the brake. Keep your foot on the brake and shift into drive. Viola, brake disengages.

Surely it’s in the manual somewhere I just didn’t look.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wierd part is that you can feel the actual brake depress which is new to me.

Like other folks, always has either a separate petal or center console stick for the ebrake. Never had the push button one..which feels completely different. Even my 16 charger has the 3rd pedal for the ebrake. Is this just a 5th gen thing, or has other model, companies do the same?

On a side note, thank God my wife jeep wrangler still has the center ebrake stick, and actually 4wd shifter. Wish I had that on my ram.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

bkp

Reaction score
I learned something new today, I searched the forum, couldn’t find a related thread so I thought I’d share...

My last truck (Nissan Titan) had a crap eBrake. I never used it as I’d found it was mostly a one-time-use-only thing (shoes would delaminate easily). So long story longer, I don’t use the eBrake on any automatic transmission car. But my new house/driveway is on a steep incline, and I don’t like hanging the transmission on park, so I’ve started applying the eBrake every time I park. And the other day I noticed it disengaged itself when I shifted into drive, but it didn’t do it consistently and I couldn’t figure out why. Sometimes shifting from park to drive to park to drive would do it, but again, definitely kludgy. Today I figured it out. Step on brake to start the truck (doh!) BUT, and this is the important part, do not release the brake. Keep your foot on the brake and shift into drive. Viola, brake disengages.

Thanks for this info, I too was trying to figure it out, now I don't have too!

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Same situation, i don't want hanging the transmission on park so eBrake is a must, another tip is apply eBrake before put your car in Park, you may know that already.

njt07

Reaction score
I actually turned my auto ebrake off cause of trying to do a 3 point turn and I‘m still not used to the knob gear selector. Accidentally put it in park instead of drive, so I then rotated to drive and the Ebrake was still on... My kid learned a couple new swear words that day

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the brake is set to Auto, you must have your seatbelt buckled before you move shifter out of park for it to auto disengage. If you shift out of park prior to buckling seatbelt, brake remains engaged.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same situation, i don't want hanging the transmission on park so eBrake is a must, another tip is apply eBrake before put your car in Park, you may know that already.
As long as you keep foot on brake it won't matter which you do first.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brake works fine, if it’s set to auto, it will not disengage if you do not put your seatbelt on before coming out of park. Unless you give it a lot of throttle, then it will release, but truck lurches due to the throttle being applied.
sounds to me like your talking about manually releasing the brake, that works no matter what my seatbelt configuration is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread