5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto dimming mirror stuck on

GasTank87

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with their auto dimming mirror being dim when it shouldnt be? I'm going to take it in but it's pretty intermittent and I'm sure they "wont be able to replicate" so I was wondering if this was maybe a known issue. I searched the site but didnt see anything.

Sometimes when i get in my truck in the morning when it's cold, I'll notice my side mirror and sometimes rear view is already dark. I live in the boonies where its pitch black in the morning so theres nothing that should be making it come on. It did it again tonight to me in my driveway. It's also happened during the day though. I got in my truck in the afternoon and they were dim. Took about 5 minutes of driving for them to go back to normal.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Teamcook

Reaction score
Yes! I've noticed the same thing, a few times, and thought I was going crazy, but similar circumstances, and yes, about 5 minutes for it to clear up - seemed to be when it was cold enough to need the defroster, and running the defroster brightened it up after about 5 minutes (fixed interior, too, so may be related to the interior warming up, rather than the defroster running, but simply reporting as observed).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GasTank87

Reaction score
Yes! I've noticed the same thing, a few times, and thought I was going crazy, but similar circumstances, and yes, about 5 minutes for it to clear up - seemed to be when it was cold enough to need the defroster, and running the defroster brightened it up after about 5 minutes (fixed interior, too, so may be related to the interior warming up, rather than the defroster running, but simply reporting as observed).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly! I turned the mirror defroster on and it helped to clear it up. Rearview went away as the truck warmed up. Only had the truck about a month and I'm wondering if I'm going to have this more frequently now as the temps get colder.

GasTank87

Reaction score
I dont know what temperature would have to do with it though. I'm thinking that's just a coincidence. The way auto dimming mirrors work should be totally independent of temperature. It takes an electrical charge to make them darker. Im wondering if it's a glitch with the sensors but then why both mirrors at the same time? Unless both mirrors respond to one sensor and they arent independent of each other.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
Yeah, my drivers side mirror was going dark also, even in 110* heat. The rear view works fine, but the drivers side will go full green and I couldn't see verywell at night. I dont think the passenger side has auto dim, right? Anyway, I have tinted windows so I just tuned the feature off. Its unfortunate because I'd like it to work. The dealer just told me that's how it supposed to work lol... yeah ok.

GasTank87

Reaction score
Yeah, my drivers side mirror was going dark also, even in 110* heat. The rear view works fine, but the drivers side will go full green and I couldn't see verywell at night. I dont think the passenger side has auto dim, right? Anyway, I have tinted windows so I just tuned the feature off. Its unfortunate because I'd like it to work. The dealer just told me that's how it supposed to work lol... yeah ok.
That's exactly the response I expect when I take it in. Lol. "My mirrors are dimming at night."

"...yeah, they're supposed to."

93Renegade

Reaction score
My driver side is on permanently. Happened last week @ - 15 and has been on since. Taking it in for 1st oil change and will see how the battle goes.

Mopar-Rock

Reaction score
My driver side is on permanently. Happened last week @ - 15 and has been on since. Taking it in for 1st oil change and will see how the battle goes.
how did you make out? My drivers side mirror shows outline of anti-glare and at times I see the green hue...comes and goes, frustrating

Users who are viewing this thread