5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Dimming High Beams

jason6695

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie since new, and auto high beams have never worked for me. I did mention it in the dealership a couple times over the years and they said they didn't see any codes for it and it should be fine but its never has worked for me.

My window sticker says I should have it, I see the option on the menu in the radio and its turned on, but I don't see anything about it on the evic when I turn high beams on and they don't dim when vehicles approach. Is there something else I need to do to make it work?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie since new, and auto high beams have never worked for me. I did mention it in the dealership a couple times over the years and they said they didn't see any codes for it and it should be fine but its never has worked for me.

My window sticker says I should have it, I see the option on the menu in the radio and its turned on, but I don't see anything about it on the evic when I turn high beams on and they don't dim when vehicles approach. Is there something else I need to do to make it work?
Two steps, one, you turn it on in Uconnect and two, you push the stalk forward to turn them on. Nothing else to do. If it isn't working, something is wrong with the system.

n8zcc

Reaction score
This ^^^^ but remember there is a speed limitation on auto high beams, the vehicle has to be moving at (if I remember correctly) 25 MPH or faster for the system to engage.

Now the question is why are your high beams not turning off when a vehicle is approaching, well, I don't know. On my truck, they dim on false positives like reflections from road signs and low-hanging tree branches.

If I were in your shoes, I would pull the build sheet for your truck and verify it was built with this option. If so, go back to the dealer. On my build sheet, the auto-high beams are listed as "Auto High Beam Headlamp Control".

jason6695

Reaction score
In my research on this issue I found the "Customer Satisfaction Notification VF2 Auto High Beam Headlamp Control " for the 2020 MY. Given the resolution for this issue was rebuilding the bcm config I thought my issue might have been software related. Since I have Alfaobd I downloaded my configuration and compared it to the bcm settings in the how to post for adding ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers since that is the feature group I had from factory.

My truck had the setting:

Auto High Beam Module Location: CRVMM

When it should have had:

Auto High Beam Module Location: IRCM

Once I made the change I now get the message saying they've been enabled when I'm in auto and move the high beam switch forward. I havn't been out yet to test that it works but now that I'm getting the message is promising.

vincentw56

Reaction score
In my research on this issue I found the "Customer Satisfaction Notification VF2 Auto High Beam Headlamp Control " for the 2020 MY. Given the resolution for this issue was rebuilding the bcm config I thought my issue might have been software related. Since I have Alfaobd I downloaded my configuration and compared it to the bcm settings in the how to post for adding ACC, FCW, Lane Assist, Auto High Beam headlights and rain-sensitive wipers since that is the feature group I had from factory.

My truck had the setting:

When it should have had:

Once I made the change I now get the message saying they've been enabled when I'm in auto and move the high beam switch forward. I havn't been out yet to test that it works but now that I'm getting the message is promising.

Do you have ACC, FCW, LKAS, etc?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yes I do.
Oh, then that is why. That other setting is if you have auto high beams, but no ACC, etc. Someone screwed up the setting from the factory I guess, unless you added ACC, etc yourself.

6of36

Reaction score
This ^^^^ but remember there is a speed limitation on auto high beams, the vehicle has to be moving at (if I remember correctly) 25 MPH or faster for the system to engage.

Now the question is why are your high beams not turning off when a vehicle is approaching, well, I don't know. On my truck, they dim on false positives like reflections from road signs and low-hanging tree branches.

If I were in your shoes, I would pull the build sheet for your truck and verify it was built with this option. If so, go back to the dealer. On my build sheet, the auto-high beams are listed as "Auto High Beam Headlamp Control".
My 2020 was like that, dimming from reflections, but my 24 works flawlessly. I even made a comment on a thread, where someone wanted to add the feature. Every vehicle before this one, even my 21 Durango, reflections from street signs, dimmed them. Now I use them all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread