5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto dim rearview mirror

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a setting or something to get the rearview mirror to dim at night? Mine has it (I am 99% sure) but the lights from cars behind me are very bright at night.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's on the same screen as the heated seats. If the icon is red, then the dimming function is active.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Used-2020-Ram-1500-BigHornLoneStar-ID4806351517-aHR0cDovL2ltYWdlcy51bml0c2ludmVudG9yeS5jb20vdXBsb2Fkcy9waG90b3MvMC8yMDIxLTA4LTA3LzIwLTU0OTc2NjUtNjEwZThiOTgzNDllMi5qcGc=

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s on, auto dimming Mirrors suck, I hate everyone I’ve had.

They never react fast enough and there is always a line around them that doesn’t dim. Thinking your back glass helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, got it. It wasn't red.

Will it auto dim only at night or does that setting dim it all the time?

vincentw56

Reaction score

It dims at night. There is a sensor on the front of the rear view mirror facing out the windshield that checks the light level. It will dim a certain amount depending on the light level. Full darkness, it will be fully dimmed.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Mine does not work consistently. The setting is turned on, but it doesn't actually work every time. Usually if I just cycle it off and on, it works again, but usually at least once a week it doesn't work without cycling.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

It will dim once it senses light behind you. Which means you still get a quick bright reflection from the car behind you before it does dim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500DFW

Reaction score
Is the sensor that checks for light behind you in the rear view mirror glass? I have very dark tinted windows, which I think blocks light from hitting the sensor sometimes. My mirrors do dim, and when they do they work well, but there’s no rhyme or reason to when they dim and when they don’t. Having the dark tint takes care of most of the glare so it’s not a huge deal. I just wish they’d work consistently.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the sensor that checks for light behind you in the rear view mirror glass? I have very dark tinted windows, which I think blocks light from hitting the sensor sometimes. My mirrors do dim, and when they do they work well, but there’s no rhyme or reason to when they dim and when they don’t. Having the dark tint takes care of most of the glare so it’s not a huge deal. I just wish they’d work consistently.
same boat like you, i have 5% on top of factory rear windows so it rarely working for me.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Yup, I had dark tint on my rear window and the auto-dim function rarely came on. The dimming function on the exterior mirrors must be tied to that same sensor, because they rarely dimmed too. My rear window was replaced due to the cracked and leaking rear window surround issue. I have not re-tinted the rear glass and now my mirrors (all 3) function as intended.

Users who are viewing this thread