5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Dim mirror on/off question

79 300

Reaction score
The auto dimming rearview mirror on/off setting is found under the controls page, along with the heated seats, steering wheel and back-up camera controls. When you press the dim mirror icon it switches from white to red. Which one is on and which one is off? I can't see any difference in the mirror tint either way. The online owners manual says pressing the icon will switch it on and off, but doesn't say which is which (red or white)

By the way, the heated steering wheel is on when it shows red, but that might not matter. thanks.

grinch72

Reaction score
The auto dimming rearview mirror on/off setting is found under the controls page, along with the heated seats, steering wheel and back-up camera controls. When you press the dim mirror icon it switches from white to red. Which one is on and which one is off? I can't see any difference in the mirror tint either way. The online owners manual says pressing the icon will switch it on and off, but doesn't say which is which (red or white)

By the way, the heated steering wheel is on when it shows red, but that might not matter. thanks.
It’s on when it’s red. You will notice it working more at night but you have to give it a few minutes to change after you enable it.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ditto... the function is activated when red... this also applies to a lot of other functions in Uconnect.

TxsRam

Reaction score
It’s on when it’s red. You will notice it working more at night but you have to give it a few minutes to change after you enable it.
Good to know (y). I've been pressing that mirror dimmer icon several times now but I don't see an changes. I will definitely need leave it on for a few minutes and see if it actually works.

grinch72

Reaction score
Good to know (y). I've been pressing that mirror dimmer icon several times now but I don't see an changes. I will definitely need leave it on for a few minutes and see if it actually works.
Watch the outer edges of your side view mirrors. They will stay lighter while the main middle section gets visibly darker! You can easily see the difference then.

79 300

Reaction score
I tried it this morning and did see it get dim with the icon red. Thanks for the help.

I shut the truck off then restarted it, and it stayed red, so it saves the setting.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a change in the rearview mirror itself, but I have on the driver side mirror. Is that a normal thing as well?

79 300

Reaction score
The change is very slight. I have the Bighorn so only the driver's side outside mirror and the inside mirror dim. The passenger's outside does not. I have the standard mirrors, not the tow mirrors if that matters.
Compared to the old flip-type day/night mirror I had in my previous truck, this new auto dim mirror isn't very dim at all.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a change in the rearview mirror itself, but I have on the driver side mirror. Is that a normal thing as well?

The dimming is only for the rearview mirror... not driver side (which is a small annoyance when I switch from the wife's Forester to the truck)

Autoplay

Reaction score
Dimming on my truck works on all three mirrors...so how it’s equipped might play a part in what mirror dims,and doesn’t dim.

As you have the tow mirrors Gondul,maybe your side mirrors were excluded?

Reactions: Vic

Denny Crane

Reaction score
Dims only rear view mirror on mine. I only see it change things at night time, and it is very quick to change.

I leave it on all the time, like all my other vehicles do from the factory.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish the side mirrors could be controlled. Mine dim at night and the Uconnect setting seems to only affect the rear view mirror. My tinted windows combined with auto-dim side mirrors makes for very poor visibility at night.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I noticed my drivers side mirror and the rearview mirror change this morning on my way to work. First time I have really noticed the rearview but I probably wasn't paying close enough attention.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dimming on my truck works on all three mirrors...so how it’s equipped might play a part in what mirror dims,and doesn’t dim.

As you have the tow mirrors Gondul,maybe your side mirrors were excluded?

Very likely... but really just a small annoyance as far as I'm concerned.

deanfx

Reaction score
Exactly the info I was looking for. Thought my dimmer app was broke because it just turned red and also thought my mirror was f'd up. Thanks to all.

Matt_T

Reaction score

Does anyone know which Fuze the dimming mirror is. The Manuel is hot garbage in detailing such things.
Does anyone know the details of this function? My big horn had the driver and rear mirror with this and it seems to have stopped working. I tried looking for a fuse but there is none and manuel has only a few sentences devoted to it.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Turn on auto dimming mirror. Shine your cell phone flashlight into the light sensor on the top of the rearview mirror. It will dim instantly.

Warthog39

Reaction score
The dimming is only for the rearview mirror... not driver side (which is a small annoyance when I switch from the wife's Forester to the truck)
I have a 2018 Power Wagon. When I first purchased the truck 6/2019, it was new. It worked fine. Now it doesn't work at all. I took my truck in for normal maintenance, oil etc. I asked them to check the fuse. After I received the truck, i asked if he had checked. I was told the technician was not qualified to check a fuse. My right eye now hurts. All the fuses are under the hood, after watching videos and getting the parts store guy to come help me. Still can't figure out which one it is. The sticker on the lid of the box is pretty useless. Everything I found online was different from my box layout. Really don't want to pay Ram to figure it out. Just turned 40k miles, so I am sure it's going to cost me. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open.

Users who are viewing this thread