5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto dim high beams

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've noticed that the auto-dimming headlights on my Limited work a lot better than the ones I had on the 2020 Laramie I used to own. Those would dim from every road sign and even some roadside reflectors. They worked terrible. I almost didn't even try them on my new truck because I figured they would be the same. Glad I gave them a chance.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed that the auto-dimming headlights on my Limited work a lot better than the ones I had on the 2020 Laramie I used to own. Those would dim from every road sign and even some roadside reflectors. They worked terrible. I almost didn't even try them on my new truck because I figured they would be the same. Glad I gave them a chance.
Yeah, they're awesome. I almost never have them off. As far as tech features that I've never had till this vehicle go, auto hi's are my favorite.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They do work great. Much better than the new Subaru system which kicks off half the time when it sees a street sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rizman22

Reaction score
2021 ram rebel here has anyone figured out how to have the side mirrors automatically fold when I tuen the engine off. I’m looking for the setting in alpha obd with no luck. Mine are powered but would love it if they can automatic.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 ram rebel here has anyone figured out how to have the side mirrors automatically fold when I tuen the engine off. I’m looking for the setting in alpha obd with no luck. Mine are powered but would love it if they can automatic.
Need a Tazer for that. It's a "live feature" so the Tazer needs to stay plugged in.

rizman22

Reaction score
As far as the auto high beams, can I enable lane sense without the 12” screen that’s missing the button? I wonder if it uses the same camera for the auto high beams. I know I will have to change the abs and hcu units to get ACC but if I get a new screen with lane sense will that work on its own?

ar2186

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the auto dimming mirror that has the auto headlight built into it? I don’t have the DASM (Built to Serve Edition Bighorn), so need the rear view with it. I have enabled it with AlfaOBD, so I see the option now, but clearly mine didn’t come from the factory with it

Thanks in advance

ljinnc

Reaction score
I have a lower level (base with console and buckets only) Laramie without auto high beams, is it possible to activate that feature using AlphaObd or will I need additional hardware? I do have a sensor of some sort in the rearview mirror that's visible from the front

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I believe if you have forward collision warning with active braking then the hardware is there. You will have a very sizable ‘box’ against the windshield behind the rearview mirror that contains the camera(s).

n8zcc

Reaction score
Same here but my first introduction to the auto high beams was with my 2013 Laramie and like you, everything triggered them off so I quit using them.

On my 2022, much better but they still have the same on feature I hate, you need to be traveling around 25 MPH or faster for the high beams to come on. Well, that sucks when you live rural and deep in the dirt road country where travel speeds are often limited to speeds under 25 MPH. I don't know why RAM thinks you need to be moving at a certain speed to have high beams but they do for some reason.

Undaground

Reaction score
Base model bighorn here. ( apparently 😔😔) and wanted auto dim high beams since I live in the woods. What hardware would I need to get it going. I do have the bubble sensor on the dash. Not sure if I have one behind the mirror plastic but I do have the big bulky plastic behind the auto dimming mirror. No other sensors on the front bumper, no foward collision sensors either. I do have alpha obd, obdlink mx+ and the bypass cable though. Not sure if I should attempt to mess with it if I need hardware. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231015_174741_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231015_174741_Drive.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 6

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Base model bighorn here. ( apparently 😔😔) and wanted auto dim high beams since I live in the woods. What hardware would I need to get it going. I do have the bubble sensor on the dash. Not sure if I have one behind the mirror plastic but I do have the big bulky plastic behind the auto dimming mirror. No other sensors on the front bumper, no foward collision sensors either. I do have alpha obd, obdlink mx+ and the bypass cable though. Not sure if I should attempt to mess with it if I need hardware. Thanks.
You have auto dimming mirror, you need to get a mirror 68312206AA. Then turn on auto high beam. I found the mirror at a mirror in a local salvage yard for $100, ebay around $150.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interested in doing this as well. Not sure if I have the hardware or not. How can I tell? I can enable in jscan and see if it works I guess. Not sure what the settings are

Last edited:

Undaground

Reaction score
You have auto dimming mirror, you need to get a mirror 68312206AA. Then turn on auto high beam. I found the mirror at a mirror in a local salvage yard for $100, ebay around $150.
Hey thanks for that, I found a mirror on ebay with that part number. Definitely looks diffrent than mine almost looks like it has a camera or sensor on the side that faces the windshield. My mirror part number is 68453788AA also my plastic housing has the cut out but I'm missing the sensor there. I ended up buying it. Should be here within a few days. When you mean to turn on auto high beam, you mean in alphaobd? If so can you please explain where that function is in the program? I'm sure it's not just plug and play right? Thanks and sorry extreme noob here.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I found out I don’t have the hardware. Good luck with yours

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, that's all it takes? I may have try this.

Users who are viewing this thread