5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australians Are Not Ripped Off

Daninaus

Reaction score
As a 2022 RAM Ltd owner here in Australia I get many comments on how we are ripped off for our trucks compared to our American friends.
I have done my best to debunk this opinion but to no avail.
I'd like please thoughts from the USA to agree or disagree on this issue.
My truck was $158'000 Australian (approx $109'000 USD) delivered to my front door. Now....
Our trucks arrive in Australia in left hand drive configuration and are stripped and converted to right hand drive and to factory specifications with full factory backed warranty.
They have to be shipped from the USA, converted, delivered to the customer. (Me) so there's a big cost first up.
I've watched many videos where it seems anything in the states for these trucks are optional extras or packages even down to tow hooks.
To the best of my knowledge and after extensive research our Ltd's are FULLY loaded.
If it's available in the states it's fitted as standard equipment here.
Mine is the 2022 Ltd night edition with the 5.7 Etorque and EVERY OPTION.
What would a comparable truck cost you guys delivered to your door be in the US?

If your unsure if my truck has something please ask.

Best Regards
Dan

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Makes sense to me, especially since some people don't actually do the Aussie to US Dollar conversion properly.

It's impressive what they have to do to convert to RHD. It's not like a cheap extension conversion of the past, it's properly engineered. I saw videos of the facility in action in Australia that does the conversion.

Considering the growing population of RAMs and similar large trucks in the Aussie market, it clearly shows people think they are worth it.

Daninaus

Reaction score
Makes sense to me, especially since some people don't actually do the Aussie to US Dollar conversion properly.

It's impressive what they have to do to convert to RHD. It's not like a cheap extension conversion of the past, it's properly engineered. I saw videos of the facility in action in Australia that does the conversion.

Considering the growing population of RAMs and similar large trucks in the Aussie market, it clearly shows people think they are worth it.
Hi,
Did you watch this.?
The Same company who do the Ram also do the Camaro and Silverado.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first time you posted i was like wow thats crazy but once you think about it makes sense to me. Now i wouldn't be able to afford that my self or would want a vehicle that expensive. 60-65k is my max confort zone
Delivery, conversion, probably import taxes/duty.
Probably no incentives available to you.
If its fully loaded i think probably its a 85k in the US market

Daninaus

Reaction score
The first time you posted i was like wow thats crazy but once you think about it makes sense to me. Now i wouldn't be able to afford that my self or would want a vehicle that expensive. 60-65k is my max confort zone
Delivery, conversion, probably import taxes/duty.
Probably no incentives available to you.
If its fully loaded i think probably its a 85k in the US market
Is that driveaway or plus taxes.?
I got caught out in the states on my last visit buying stuff thinking "oh wow, this is cheap" only to get to the checkout and have a load of fee's and taxes applied.
It's crazy you have a price advertised on the shelf only to get to pay and find out if isn't that cheap at all.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol that was my youngest brother on his 1st time back into the US and using his own spending money. The sales tax caught him by surprise and was very disappointed.
Based on some listing I have seen plus somebody in the forum posting his build sheet and price recently 85-90k out the door.
There will always be somebody that will get a better deal or a worst deal. And you are at a disadvantage market wise. I sure hope you don't think too much into it and enjoy your truck

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know the prices have come up since I bought the '21 Limited I used to own. That was as fully loaded as I could make it. I'm attaching the window sticker from that truck in case you're interested in a not quite apples to apples comparison. My price out the door, including tax and licensing was a little over $65k USD, but I did pretty well with incentives. Does your truck have all the options my truck had (rambox, MFT, sunroof, tech group, Level 1 equipment group)?

Attachments

• 2021 Limited window sticker.JPG
    2021 Limited window sticker.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 24

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
All Limited trucks are fully loaded, thats how the trims work as you go higher more features become standard.

My MSRP before increases was 79k (was 82k when I went to get it)
I paid around 64.5k USD.

The only thing I don't have is the trailer brake controller and trailer surround view, I have all other possible options.

1675982714901.png

If we look at the current conversion rate of USD to AUD myt 64.5k would be around 94k AUD.
So yes 158k AUD is very expensive for a fully loaded Limited no matter how you look at it.

But with that said, it's your money and I have no idea what the options are for a country that is an island that you can't just drive to another country buy it and come back home (not being on a freight ship).

To put it in perspective for the price you pay for your 1500 Limited, us in America can get a fully loaded TRX (even slightly less I believe they are around 100-105k USD fully loaded after discounts).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All Limited trucks are fully loaded, thats how the trims work as you go higher more features become standard.

I paid around 64.5k USD.

The only thing I don't have is the trailer brake controller and trailer surround view, I have all other possible options.

View attachment 151226

If we look at the current conversion rate of USD to AUD myt 64.5k would be around 94k AUD.
So yes 158k AUD is very expensive for a fully loaded Limited no matter how you look at it.

But with that said, it's your money and I have no idea what the options are for a country that is an island that you can't just drive to another country buy it and come back home (not being on a freight ship).

To put it in perspective for the price you pay for your 1500 Limited, us in America can get a fully loaded TRX (even slightly less I believe they are around 100-105k USD fully loaded after discounts).
Not all Limited trucks are "fully loaded" as evident by your window sticker showing all the "optional" equipment that was added to your truck above the "standard" equipment.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not all Limited trucks are "fully loaded" as evident by your window sticker showing all the "optional" equipment that was added to your truck above the "standard" equipment.
I suppose fully is the incorrect word.
All Limiteds are loaded, but by definition fully loaded is every single option.

The prices I listed are still correct nonetheless.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I paid around 64.5k USD.

View attachment 151226

lets do some assumptions based on your window stickers plus updated price
82 k - no incentives
7 k - state sales tax and fee - assuming somebody has to pay or unless truck its exempt since it will be exported
2 k - added crap (door guard, clear coat, wheel locks)
27 k - Australia 33% luxury car import taxes - OP can confirm if this is true
4 k - transportation fee taken from google - 2.5k for a compact car

that's already $122k and not even putting the $ for making it right hand drive - yea that's a lot of money but maybe he did get a bargain or fair price for his market.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
lets do some assumptions based on your window stickers plus updated price
82 k - no incentives
7 k - state sales tax and fee - assuming somebody has to pay or unless truck its exempt since it will be exported
2 k - added crap (door guard, clear coat, wheel locks)
27 k - Australia 33% luxury car import taxes - OP can confirm if this is true
4 k - transportation fee taken from google - 2.5k for a compact car

that's already $122k and not even putting the $ for making it right hand drive - yea that's a lot of money but maybe he did get a bargain or fair price for his market.
OP explicitly asked what the price would be for someone in the USA to get a truck to door in the USA.
You should never play MSRP for any car\truck.

Importing it to Australia makes it crazy expensive.

Getting a Limited that is 82k MSRP in the states means you pay under 82k MSRP.

Getting that same truck to Australia is way more, so much more in the states you can get a much more expensive car\truck.

This is not a problem in America, as who needs to import a car\truck? No one because the market is so big here stuff gets sold here anyways, in fact there is a transport charge on all new cars\trucks and it even lists it on the website, I think it's $2000-2500, and it's included in the MSRP

I can get a near fully loaded (for all regular features) TRX for 103k MSRP. for example Koons offers this
The group buy pricing is for factory orders only and will be plus tax, tags and 899 processing
MSRP 98 - 104,999 = 11k off MSRP
YOU ARE 100% PRICE PROTECTED ONCE THE ORDER IS PLACED
So that $103,370 is actually $92,370 for a fully loaded TRX, but I can bet would be a ton more fun in Australia haha.

Retrofitting trucks is an expensive thing to do.
I did work for a company that does police and military retrofits. They would get in brand new large SUVs direct from the manufacturer that cost MSRP 100k, by the time they left the shop the customer was paying $200k for what once was a 100k truck. They are doing a LOT more improvements then just right side side conversations like bullet proof glass, gun racks, reinforced metal plating, lights, speakers, etc.

So yes I do believe Australians are getting ripped off when it comes to price, but if they don't have any other options what can they do? It's not like you can just go to a Ram dealership and buy one off the lot down there it would seem. Maybe they can convert it them selfs after renting a cargo boat to carry a truck in. Might even be illegal, beats me.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a 2022 RAM Ltd owner here in Australia I get many comments on how we are ripped off for our trucks compared to our American friends.
I have done my best to debunk this opinion but to no avail.
I'd like please thoughts from the USA to agree or disagree on this issue.
My truck was $158'000 Australian (approx $109'000 USD) delivered to my front door. Now....
Our trucks arrive in Australia in left hand drive configuration and are stripped and converted to right hand drive and to factory specifications with full factory backed warranty.
They have to be shipped from the USA, converted, delivered to the customer. (Me) so there's a big cost first up.
I've watched many videos where it seems anything in the states for these trucks are optional extras or packages even down to tow hooks.
To the best of my knowledge and after extensive research our Ltd's are FULLY loaded.
If it's available in the states it's fitted as standard equipment here.
Mine is the 2022 Ltd night edition with the 5.7 Etorque and EVERY OPTION.
What would a comparable truck cost you guys delivered to your door be in the US?

If your unsure if my truck has something please ask.

Best Regards
Dan
I think the only option on my 19 was the sun roof, and it was about 60 back then, so al in all I don't think at todays prices you are about right with the taxes, shipping, and changeover.

6of36

Reaction score
Right now my 23 is in assembly. Darksteel is wrong, he doesn't have off road pkg, trailer tow group, or trailer mirrors . My sticker is 83,500. I ordered everything but block heater, night pkg, body color bumpers, and 22 wheels. I hate the look of those. Also I have e-lock axle instead of ls. Ordering every option, the sticker could near 90,000 for a Limited.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Right now my 23 is in assembly. Darksteel is wrong, he doesn't have off road pkg, trailer tow group, or trailer mirrors . My sticker is 83,500. I ordered everything but block heater, night pkg, body color bumpers, and 22 wheels. I hate the look of those. Also I have e-lock axle instead of ls. Ordering every option, the sticker could near 90,000 for a Limited.
There is no off road package on a 2022 1500 limited.
2023s are different and have different options. You can't make a limited hit 90k msrp. You're just digging.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
2023s are different and have different options. You can't make a limited hit 90k msrp. You're just digging.
Unless you wanted the Night Edition, you could in fact get the ORG on a 2022 1500 Limited.

6of36

Reaction score
Actually as I was waiting for the website to change to 23, since I wanted the digital cluster, I did a build and price for a 22. ORG was available.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually as I was waiting for the website to change to 23, since I wanted the digital cluster, I did a build and price for a 22. ORG was available.
Org was not available when I ordered.
You can't just go by what the website shows. It shows items that you can't add a lot of the time and doesn't show stuff you can. It's common knowledge the website doesn't give you the up to date valid information.

I tried to get the protection group and that was not offered on a Limited or Laramie either.
Per Mark Dodge.
Currently, the Tech Package is only available on the Limited and Longhorn. The Protection Group and 3.92 are not available at this time as well.

This is the same reason I didn't get a Laramie as you can't get the GT package and the advanced technology package with the HUD on a Laramie on a 2022 despite that exact build being shown off at shows and existing on the website as a valid configuration.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Org was not available when I ordered.
You can't just go by what the website shows. It shows items that you can't add a lot of the time and doesn't show stuff you can. It's common knowledge the website doesn't give you the up to date valid information.

I tried to get the protection group and that was not offered on a Limited or Laramie either.
Per Mark Dodge.
Currently, the Tech Package is only available on the Limited and Longhorn. The Protection Group and 3.92 are not available at this time as well.

This is the same reason I didn't get a Laramie as you can't get the GT package and the advanced technology package with the HUD on a Laramie on a 2022 despite that exact build being shown off at shows and existing on the website as a valid configuration.
Were you also trying to order it with the Night Edition package? You can't get both the ORG and the Night Edition packages on the Limited. But you could get the ORG on a 2022 Limited. The wife and I had one configured at our dealership last year before we decided to go a different direction with our vehicles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Were you also trying to order it with the Night Edition package? You can't get both the ORG and the Night Edition packages on the Limited. But you could get the ORG on a 2022 Limited. The wife and I had one configured at our dealership last year before we decided to go a different direction with our vehicles.
Yes I was. I wanted the entire truck to be black, not have random chrome on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online