5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio install troubleshooting request - rear speakers have no sound

whelmed

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the process of adding a sub and new speakers to my RAM. It's a uconnect 12 inch that I upgraded too and I had the base speakers in it. In terms of what happened, I installed the 2x10 sub and it's running fine using the anc bypass. When I was swapping out the 6 speakers and after doing sub I started with the front and dash speakers (so 4/6 speakers). I wanted to take a cheeky peak at hearing how different the new fronts vs old backs were. When I turned the tunes on, there was no sound at all from the back. If I ran 100% to the back on the fad/balancer option there was just a small amount of volume out of the fronts but 0 from the back. When I go back to center and I can hear the front 4 just fine. Figured maybe there's some sort of ohm mis-match going on or something so I continue. I've put the new back speakers into the door and still no sound coming out of them.

Pretty down that after all the hard work that I now need to troubleshoot. The problem occurred either during when I was running the power cable for the amp from the battery down to the channels at the side, or at some point when I was swapping out the front 4 speakers. In terms of trouble shooting, I've tried with the ANC bypass / amp and without and it's still just 4/6 speakers (i.e. testing if it was the bypass harness and subs doing the short out). Any audio folks able to chime in on how to troubleshoot this? You'd make my day if you had any advice.

whelmed

Reaction score
Figured I'd post a follow-up in case anyone comes back from google looking to fix. Turns out there must have been some sort of safety kill on the rears possibly due to difference in impedance. I tried resetting the radio last night too and it didn't do anything.

So when I got up this morning and turned on the truck, voila, they were kicking. Thank god, I wasn't looking forward to taking apart the doors / dash again and measuring impedance to see if there was a break and then tapping all along the speaker wires to see if I could find roughly where it was. Very stoked.

Users who are viewing this thread