5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio Advice / Help Needed: Rear Headliner Speakers

Rawyzf

Reaction score
Howdy!

So, a few months back I replaced the 3 Dash Speakers, 2 Rear Door Speakers, and 2 Rear Headliner / Roof Speaker with Kick CS.

The sound is great, but my 10yr old son made a valid point to me yesterday on the drive home. He kept saying he can't hear me talk, even when I only have the volume @ 8 or 10 (OCD only do Even Numbers :p). So, when I got home, I sat in back and played with the radio and volume and settings, and damn...he is right. The Rood/Headliner speaker seem pretty damn loud compared to the doors, even when faded to the front some.

I'm thinking maybe I need to replace them again with something that has a higher ohm, to bring the sound down a little. Is that that the right idea, or am I going about that wrong?

Another thing, it seems the HK Sub has gained more power with my speaker swap. Is it possible that the new speakers are drawing less power and leaving more for the sub? I was told HK was 4ohm, and the Kickers I put in are 4ohm, so I am not sure this is valid (or I could just be crazy and the added bass is from the door speakers).

Anywho, looking to see what you guys might think. I was also considering unplugging the Sub to see if that is it, but I need to research on how to shut that off.

Scr8pin

Reaction score
Howdy!

So, a few months back I replaced the 3 Dash Speakers, 2 Rear Door Speakers, and 2 Rear Headliner / Roof Speaker with Kick CS.

The sound is great, but my 10yr old son made a valid point to me yesterday on the drive home. He kept saying he can't hear me talk, even when I only have the volume @ 8 or 10 (OCD only do Even Numbers :p). So, when I got home, I sat in back and played with the radio and volume and settings, and damn...he is right. The Rood/Headliner speaker seem pretty damn loud compared to the doors, even when faded to the front some.

I'm thinking maybe I need to replace them again with something that has a higher ohm, to bring the sound down a little. Is that that the right idea, or am I going about that wrong?

Another thing, it seems the HK Sub has gained more power with my speaker swap. Is it possible that the new speakers are drawing less power and leaving more for the sub? I was told HK was 4ohm, and the Kickers I put in are 4ohm, so I am not sure this is valid (or I could just be crazy and the added bass is from the door speakers).

Anywho, looking to see what you guys might think. I was also considering unplugging the Sub to see if that is it, but I need to research on how to shut that off.
Howdy!

I only have the 6 speAker system but when I started changing up all the speakers and adding subs the anc wreaked havoc with my install. If you can, I would try to bypass the anc ( pop the +ve pins out of the connector under the seat) and see if it corrects your issue, I found it felt like the anc was changing volumes of certain speakers and messing with the balance and fade. It was impossible to figure out so I just disconnected it and now everything works like a charm.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Howdy!

Now I wanna know what exact speakers you used in your headliner

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could do higher ohm, or less efficient speakers in terms of power handling. The sub shouldn't be getting any more power, but who knows. The amplifier/tuning for the subwoofer is GARBAGE. If you want anything to sound decent, just unplug the sub. The 6x9s do just fine on their own with the bass +'d up a few.

Rawyzf

Reaction score
You could do higher ohm, or less efficient speakers in terms of power handling. The sub shouldn't be getting any more power, but who knows. The amplifier/tuning for the subwoofer is GARBAGE. If you want anything to sound decent, just unplug the sub. The 6x9s do just fine on their own with the bass +'d up a few.
Can I unplug.the sub without removing the seat?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can I unplug.the sub without removing the seat?
If you have reclining seats, easily. You just recline the seats fully, drop the center console, and look/reach behind each seat for a small pull loop - will release the seat back from the wall and let you fold it forward a bit. From there, remove a few plastic push pins and pull the rear wall carpet out a bit. Look down the wall and see the sub. Small white connector that you squeeze to unclip.

You may be able to shimmy your hand around/under the carpet underneath the seats, but you'd be completely blind and have to go by feel. I don't think it'd be possible having not seen/done it the other way first. If you don't have reclining seats, you could also remove the sub wiring pins from the large connector at the amplifier underneath the driver seat. This is slightly tedious, but also fairly easy. You'd have to look at the amp wiring diagram as well.

Rawyzf

Reaction score
If you have reclining seats, easily. You just recline the seats fully, drop the center console, and look/reach behind each seat for a small pull loop - will release the seat back from the wall and let you fold it forward a bit. From there, remove a few plastic push pins and pull the rear wall carpet out a bit. Look down the wall and see the sub. Small white connector that you squeeze to unclip.

You may be able to shimmy your hand around/under the carpet underneath the seats, but you'd be completely blind and have to go by feel. I don't think it'd be possible having not seen/done it the other way first. If you don't have reclining seats, you could also remove the sub wiring pins from the large connector at the amplifier underneath the driver seat. This is slightly tedious, but also fairly easy. You'd have to look at the amp wiring diagram as well.
Thanks! I do have reclining, so I'll give that a shot.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
They will kill imaging, so I deleted the center and upper headliner speakers. I have components front and rear that sound great.

Rawyzf

Reaction score

Where is the clip, is it on the bottom side of the Sub? Thanks for your help, I was able to get the seat moved tilted forward and pull the back carpet away from the wall a little, but not much as it is under the side pillar. I couldn't see the clip from my limited view, but if I have an idea of where you're talking, I might be able to go at that blindly.

Rawyzf

Reaction score

So, I took out the Kickers form the headliner, and that helps not deafen the rear passengers. Just for fun, I put the OEM HK back in on one side, and holy crap....that speaker screams at you. It's louder than the Kickers, but sounds like garbage comparison wise. Just like a kid screaming in your ear. No clarity or substance to the sound. So, the Kickers are definitely an improvement in back...and I'd keep them in if I didn't have passengers frequently. I might just leave no speakers in that space for now.

Rawyzf

Reaction score

Found this thread to be helpful!

Rawyzf

Reaction score
I did unplug the sub, played around with sound setting, etc..... I wasn't happy with it unplugged, the rest of the speakers didn't cover the deep bass that I'm used to. So I plugged it right back in, and just turned the bass setting down in the headunit. I think that should be good for now.

Next step is probably to replace the front door speakers and tweeters, since that is all that is left that is HK besides the sub.

PillowPants69

Reaction score
Howdy!

I can seem to find references on how to access the rear headliner speakers. Did you have to drop the entire headliner or were you able to remove the speaker/grill assembly by pulling really hard?

I've tried pulling at mine, but the grills flex and I feel like I'm going to break them.

Chakobe

Reaction score
on the subject of the rear headliner speakers, are they wired in series with the rear door speakers? like the front doors are wired with the dash corner, i was curious if i could just buy 2 sets of component speakers for my truck

Users who are viewing this thread