5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At the Glass Doctor again...

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my 2nd windshield in 2 years. I drove a 1998 Trans AM for 20 years without a scratch on the windshield. Aerodynamics!

Would a weather tech bug and stone deflector help?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
If the bug deflector lays flat against the hood, as many do these days, it will not be very effective keeping rocks off the windshield.
It will, however, keep the front of your hood from getting paint chips and dents.
A nice, thick vertical sheet of plexiglass in front of the windshield would work.
But that's illegal.

Steve

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They did a great job for the 2nd time. Mopar glass again.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my 2nd windshield in 2 years. I drove a 1998 Trans AM for 20 years without a scratch on the windshield. Aerodynamics!

Agreed I have gotten 2 chips in less than 6 months and has ZERO on any prior vehicle including my 2020 Rebel.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I stopped counting the rock chips after the 6th one.
Will have it replaced if the cops give me a repair order due to a vertical crack on the drivers side.

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Rock chips in Idaho are considered part of the paint job. No matter how far back of the trucks someone manages to kick up a rock. Even with snow on the ground they manage to find my window. Safe Lite to the rescue.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must be lucky with this Ram. Currently at 65K without so much as a chip on the factory windshield. I had a Titan that had three windshields in the same time frame.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The problem is, the roads not being taken care of, and trucks dropping stuff. Debris everywhere these days.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both times it spread faster than I could get it scheduled for repair. Replaced both times.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have 2 repaired chips. Northern VA is one giant road construction zone.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm back to the Glass Doctor today for a dime size repair. This is my 3rd OEM windshield and now it has a ding.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Just luck when it comes to windshields. My F150 before got rock chips that converted to long cracks two years in a row. Lots of little nicks too, very frustrating.

My RAM after 4 years, zero rock chips and only one tiny little nick the size of a pin head far from my field of view. I do my best to drive only on the fast lane, less rocks on the road than the slow lanes. Almost all my big windshield hits has been in the first two right lanes.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a dime size and they fixed it but it's not entirely invisible. It will not spread and that was the ultimate goal.

Just FYI The tech said sometimes it doesn't completely disappear. I really did not know that as I have never had just a repair. Always full replacement. It's in the passenger top corner area so I don't even know it exists.

Users who are viewing this thread