5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T Hotspot stopped working

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Good day to you all - I am casting a wide net to try to see if I am alone on this topic.

I purchased a new 2021 RAM 1500 in late 2020 and have been using the AT&T hotspot in the pickup ever since with the unlimited data plan. Roughly November 8th, 2021, the hotspot no longer passes traffic to the internet. At times the hotspot is enabled in the UConnect 12" display but the wifi icon didn't show up on the display and devices could not connect to it. After all the basic troubleshooting with UConnect support and AT&T support, I can confirm that I can still remote start and stop the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, pull information about the vehicle from the UConnct app so the service TO and FROM the pickup works but the internal mobile hotspot has stopped working.

No software/firmware updates are available for the UConnect system on my vehicle (I am up to date) and I don't recall seeing any OTA updates since July 2021 so how this randomly quit working is frustrating me a lot.

I am told by many support AT&T staff I have worked with that this is a hot issue currently with all Chrysler, Dodge, RAM and Jeep vehicles with UConnect and AT&T mobile hotspots.

I have been directed by AT&T to seek my dealer for them to 'reset the head unit and try again'.
If this is such a wide spread issue with this line of vehicles, what is there not a more straight forward fix for the problem?

Is there another thread on this topic already? I have searched many times and didn't find one specific to this sort of issue.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Long shot, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes? Sometimes they need a kick in the a$$. Just be warned, that you might not see all options like nav or heated seats for a couple hours after you reconnect the battery.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Long shot, but have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes? Sometimes they need a kick in the a$$. Just be warned, that you might not see all options like nav or heated seats for a couple hours after you reconnect the battery.
I haven't tried that yet and it is worth a shot before going to the dealer! : ) I have video/captured all my settings so I should be alright there. You'd think there is a fuse to pull instead.... :) Thanks for the suggestion.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
??????

I read that too but it was for the 2022's based on the TSB that was shown in that thread so that doesn't fit me. In that new 2022 update I hear that the pickup can be programmed to use your HOME WIFI for the OTA updates which is super awesome! Way better than LTE service! : )

aussie_ram

Reaction score
Can't help as my hotspot works fine (not the greatest speeds but sufficient), but before I activated mine I do remember reading on here that some people did have issues with whatever controls the hotspot, where it basically died. For that reason, I didn't sign a contract with AT&T and just pay month to month in case mine dies.

tom318

Reaction score
I've had mine go out a handful of times and a Uconnect reset has always worked for me. (Press and hold the Power and browse/enter knobs down together for 20sec and release, the system will reset)

U

User_3336

The trial was only for 1GB. You would have needed to supply a credit card number then for additional service afterwards.

Maxx

Reaction score
Mine stopped working and after doing the AT&T dance & I also was told to go to dealer. As I was traveling & no time for a dealer I pulled the fuse that controls Uconnect & radio for a few minutes and it fixed the Wi-Fi. I think the fuse is F44 20amp On right side of internal fuse box.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Can't help as my hotspot works fine (not the greatest speeds but sufficient), but before I activated mine I do remember reading on here that some people did have issues with whatever controls the hotspot, where it basically died. For that reason, I didn't sign a contract with AT&T and just pay month to month in case mine dies.
I am month to month at $15 for unlimited for that same sort of thinking. It was great and often better than my VZW hotspot on the iPhone. I like having the ability to use either but I try to take full advantage of the $15 for sure! : )

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Mine stopped working and after doing the AT&T dance & I also was told to go to dealer. As I was traveling & no time for a dealer I pulled the fuse that controls Uconnect & radio for a few minutes and it fixed the Wi-Fi. I think the fuse is F44 20amp On right side of internal fuse box.
This. this makes me happy! :) I will do that in the morning and report back!

JDGRN77

Reaction score
The trial was only for 1GB. You would have needed to supply a credit card number then for additional service afterwards.
Much appreciated but totally not relevant. I have been using this for 12 months. I have a subscription. Thank you anyway.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
I've had mine go out a handful of times and a Uconnect reset has always worked for me. (Press and hold the Power and browse/enter knobs down together for 20sec and release, the system will reset)
I will try this as well as a fuse pull... I will try this first as a 'least evasive' attempt. Much appreciated. I will report back!

JDGRN77

Reaction score
The soft reset did reboot the head unit but did not correct the hotspot issue. the good news is I learned something I didn't know before! Thank you for that!

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Good day to you all - I am casting a wide net to try to see if I am alone on this topic.

I purchased a new 2021 RAM 1500 in late 2020 and have been using the AT&T hotspot in the pickup ever since with the unlimited data plan. Roughly November 8th, 2021, the hotspot no longer passes traffic to the internet. At times the hotspot is enabled in the UConnect 12" display but the wifi icon didn't show up on the display and devices could not connect to it. After all the basic troubleshooting with UConnect support and AT&T support, I can confirm that I can still remote start and stop the vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, pull information about the vehicle from the UConnct app so the service TO and FROM the pickup works but the internal mobile hotspot has stopped working.

No software/firmware updates are available for the UConnect system on my vehicle (I am up to date) and I don't recall seeing any OTA updates since July 2021 so how this randomly quit working is frustrating me a lot.

I am told by many support AT&T staff I have worked with that this is a hot issue currently with all Chrysler, Dodge, RAM and Jeep vehicles with UConnect and AT&T mobile hotspots.

I have been directed by AT&T to seek my dealer for them to 'reset the head unit and try again'.
If this is such a wide spread issue with this line of vehicles, what is there not a more straight forward fix for the problem?

Is there another thread on this topic already? I have searched many times and didn't find one specific to this sort of issue.
It was interesting that I posted this same rant on an AT&T support page and it was up for about 8-12 hours before being marked as 'private' so their support could interact with me directly and be more helpful.... https://forums.att.com/conversation...-att-mobile-hotspot-no-longer-passing-traffic (Will show a 404 error since it is hidden by them for now)
We will see if they can act on my existing case with them.
Part of me feels like they hid that thread because they know there is a problem and they are burying the exposure. : )

Happy Friday peeps!

JDGRN77

Reaction score
PULLING THE FUSE WORKED!
I removed the two 7mm bolts form the panel under the steering wheel and pulled that out enough to get my puller in there. F44 on the right was the 'Radio' fuse as indicated in the Owners manual. I pulled it out for 200 seconds (no reason for that number other than it w as about 3 minutes), popped the fuse back in and started the truck.
Now, the hotspot, the traffic is flowing and I pull a proper public IP that is AT&T owned and the speed tests work now where they never connected before when it was busticated! : )

The ONLY thing to note that I had never seen before is that on the starting of the pickup, the radio turned RED and proclaimed it was LOCKED.
I backed the pickup out into the driveway and fiddled with the radio and settings to check them all out and then did a soft reset (Power and ENTER knob buttons for 20 seconds) and it rebooted and returned to normal operational mode. It is possible that on the next start of the truck it would have returned too.

Summary - pulled internal F44 20A fuse for 200 seconds and replaced. Started the pickup and tested hotspot functionality. Soft reset the radio.

Attachments

• Pic1_ATT.png
    Pic1_ATT.png
    225 KB · Views: 40
  • Pic2_ATT.png
    Pic2_ATT.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Pic3_ATT.png
    Pic3_ATT.png
    280.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

stronbl

Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but is the Uconnect reset you mention the same as turning off the vehicle and walk away from it with the fob for about 5 minutes and then restart the truck? The reason I ask is my AT&T hotspot wifi went out once and I did the shut the truck off and walk away example. When I came back and started the truck again, all was fine. My truck is a 2020 Ram Limited.

PS - didn't know about the Uconnect reset trick either - thanks for sharing.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My thread is here. For a paid service, I was pretty unhappy with how poorly this went down and I to had it fixed by just unplugging the battery for a day. The dealer said they couldn't trouble shoot it. AT&T thanked me for my $200 12 month payment and said they recommend I go to a dealer so if your hotspot stops working..you're 100% on your own and there's no one out there who can help you.

So yep, unplug the battery for 24 hours and it's worked ever since.

JDGRN77

Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but is the Uconnect reset you mention the same as turning off the vehicle and walk away from it with the fob for about 5 minutes and then restart the truck? The reason I ask is my AT&T hotspot wifi went out once and I did the shut the truck off and walk away example. When I came back and started the truck again, all was fine. My truck is a 2020 Ram Limited.

PS - didn't know about the Uconnect reset trick either - thanks for sharing.
It is possible. I am impatient sometimes. : ) I like instant results! : )

Users who are viewing this thread