5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assist and SOS buttons keep saying activate services (FIX)

Capt Joe

Reaction score
I bought my new ram at the beginning of the month and immediately signed up for all of the Sirius / XM / Guardian services. I felt confident in the process because I'm on my 3rd FCA car with Uconnect and had no problems with the process with the Challenger or the Pacifica. About a week into owning the RAM, I pushed the Assist button just to check it out and I got a screen prompting me to create and account....hmmm.... I aleady had a working account and could already start and stop the car from the app, but OK, I went through the SLOW sign in process that I entered my email address and my First and Last Name then I got a screen that said Account Not Active. Alright, I call xm/guardian and an hour later they say I have to take it in to the dealership to have them look at it. OK, I'm rolling with it, I already had an appointment for the Pedal Recall so I would just add it to the list. Pedal recall goes great but not so much on the Assist and SOS button not working. The dealership was stumped and put in a call to FCA and wanted to keep the car overnight because FCA is slow to get back to dealership requests. The next day, a STAR case was opened, and they got some guidance from FCA but to no avail, they couldn't figure it out. I took the RAM back and figured I could research this on my own. Every day I would try the Assist button and every day I got the same Account not active screens from both the Assist and SOS buttons.

20190216_133935.jpg 20190216_134251.jpg

Dam....no luck, my thinking is that Sirius / XM would eventually work itself out and someday it would just start to work.....WRONG. Anyway I get an offer in the mail for some free sirius/XM app music because of the free trial and I went to my android play store to download the app. I plug in Sirius XM and I see an app there called SXM Guardian. Looks like this

Screenshot_20190227-083104_Google Play Store.jpg Screenshot_20190227-083023_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Well, damn! That's new to me because I had been using the blue Uconnect app that I always used with my Challenger and Pacifica and the Ram was there in that app and did all the unlock / start / send and go features. The Uconnect app that I was using looked like this. Screenshot_20190227-084712_Samsung Experience Home.jpg Anyway, I sign in using the new SXM Guardian app with my Username and password and after saying Yes to the EULA my new RAM was there with the same looking Start / Stop / Unlock ...etc app features. So Now, I had to go try the truck again and BINGO assist button works and SOS button Works! So it wasn't the account but the App and what was stopping it from working was the EULA. Once I signed into the SXM Guardian app the car now knows and now when I push the Assist button I get this!

20190226_235647.jpg FIXED....

I hope this can help folks that run into this issue. Go to the play store and download the SXM Guardian app (not the Uconnect - which will work) and sign in there!

JM

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my new ram at the beginning of the month and immediately signed up for all of the Sirius / XM / Guardian services. I felt confident in the process because I'm on my 3rd FCA car with Uconnect and had no problems with the process with the Challenger or the Pacifica. About a week into owning the RAM, I pushed the Assist button just to check it out and I got a screen prompting me to create and account....hmmm.... I aleady had a working account and could already start and stop the car from the app, but OK, I went through the SLOW sign in process that I entered my email address and my First and Last Name then I got a screen that said Account Not Active. Alright, I call xm/guardian and an hour later they say I have to take it in to the dealership to have them look at it. OK, I'm rolling with it, I already had an appointment for the Pedal Recall so I would just add it to the list. Pedal recall goes great but not so much on the Assist and SOS button not working. The dealership was stumped and put in a call to FCA and wanted to keep the car overnight because FCA is slow to get back to dealership requests. The next day, a STAR case was opened, and they got some guidance from FCA but to no avail, they couldn't figure it out. I took the RAM back and figured I could research this on my own. Every day I would try the Assist button and every day I got the same Account not active screens from both the Assist and SOS buttons.

View attachment 17299 View attachment 17300

Dam....no luck, my thinking is that Sirius / XM would eventually work itself out and someday it would just start to work.....WRONG. Anyway I get an offer in the mail for some free sirius/XM app music because of the free trial and I went to my android play store to download the app. I plug in Sirius XM and I see an app there called SXM Guardian. Looks like this

View attachment 17301 View attachment 17302

Well, ****! That's new to me because I had been using the blue Uconnect app that I always used with my Challenger and Pacifica and the Ram was there in that app and did all the unlock / start / send and go features. The Uconnect app that I was using looked like this. View attachment 17303 Anyway, I sign in using the new SXM Guardian app with my Username and password and after saying Yes to the EULA my new RAM was there with the same looking Start / Stop / Unlock ...etc app features. So Now, I had to go try the truck again and BINGO assist button works and SOS button Works! So it wasn't the account but the App and what was stopping it from working was the EULA. Once I signed into the SXM Guardian app the car now knows and now when I push the Assist button I get this!

View attachment 17304 FIXED....

I hope this can help folks that run into this issue. Go to the play store and download the SXM Guardian app (not the Uconnect - which will work) and sign in there!

JM
I just started having g this issue a few days ago. First I lost my remote commands then I did a clear personal data and got them back but list my sos/assist functions. Do you suggest I try the Guardian app? I was told multiple times that they were phasing that app out and we need to use the blue Uconnect app.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just started having g this issue a few days ago. First I lost my remote commands then I did a clear personal data and got them back but list my sos/assist functions. Do you suggest I try the Guardian app? I was told multiple times that they were phasing that app out and we need to use the blue Uconnect app.
Update: After multiple calls to Sirius about the wacky behavior of the Sirius/Guardian services over the past few days and after disregarding the advice of last night's Sirius supervisor who told me all of my issues are hardware related and not on the Sirius end so I need to go to the dealer, I can finally say I got everything working again this morning. I played with the SOS and Assist issue for a few hours and it came down to an activation issue on the Sirius side. No wonder. They are all morons and have no clue what they are saying or doing. My persistence paid off.

Bubba8769

Reaction score
Update: After multiple calls to Sirius about the wacky behavior of the Sirius/Guardian services over the past few days and after disregarding the advice of last night's Sirius supervisor who told me all of my issues are hardware related and not on the Sirius end so I need to go to the dealer, I can finally say I got everything working again this morning. I played with the SOS and Assist issue for a few hours and it came down to an activation issue on the Sirius side. No wonder. They are all morons and have no clue what they are saying or doing. My persistence paid off.

So what did they end up having to correct/fix? Was it something you did or did SiriusXM do on their end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what did they end up having to correct/fix? Was it something you did or did SiriusXM do on their end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I just kept trying both repeatedly every few hours and eventually I got a prompt to activate the services. Bizarre to say the least but after entering my info on the screen and hitting activate both buttons worked. Of course this was after numerous calls to Sirius but they didn’t do anything on their end. In fact, all they did was say it’s hardware and to take it to the dealer. It sort of corrected itself over the 3 week period. Crazy.

MercDog

Reaction score
Had the exact same issue with my 2021 Jeep Wrangler. After 2 weeks of research and support calls, I think I stumbled upon the issue (at least for me).

So, Assist and SOS and Vehicle History Report were not working...but Remote Functions were. SiriusXM Guardian said my account was active and nothing else to do. Told me to take the vehicle to the dealership.

Read on another forum that once people signed up to the Free Trial WiFi Hot Spot that everything started working. Someone also said that once they Reset Personal Data that it started working. Here's what I did...not sure which actually solved the problem...but I'll tell you my theory.

- Started vehicle.
- Signed up for WiFi Hot Spot Trial. Made sure it was working. Assist and SOS still not working.
- Reset Personal Data. Assist and SOS still not working; however, Assist asked me to sign up for SiriusXM Guardian Trail which I did...but got message that there was an issue and I had to call support.
- Stopped vehicle.
- Started vehicle.
- Assist and SOS button started working. Vehicle History Report still not working.
- 12 Hrs later...Vehicle History Report started working. Got an email from AT&T with the new phone number assigned to my Vehicle.
- Everything is working!

So, I think the underlying issue is that my SIM Card wasn't assigned a phone number...and the Assist and SOS button probably work off of cellular and not radio. The Remote Functions (start, lock, horn, locate) might work off of radio.

I'm not sure how one is to get a phone number assigned to their SIM Card without subscribing to something such as WiFi Hot Spot. Also, if this is the underlying issue, I would like to know where it is documented that one has to do this. Is this something that should be done by the Dealership? If so, is the Dealership aware of it?

And...if your system was working but is now failing, I would suspect the SIM Card might need replaced.

Hopefully someone else who is having the same issue can report back if the above works for them.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 17301 View attachment 17302

Well, damn! That's new to me because I had been using the blue Uconnect app that I always used with my Challenger and Pacifica and the Ram was there in that app and did all the unlock / start / send and go features. The Uconnect app that I was using looked like this. View attachment 17303 Anyway, I sign in using the new SXM Guardian app with my Username and password and after saying Yes to the EULA my new RAM was there with the same looking Start / Stop / Unlock ...etc app features. So Now, I had to go try the truck again and BINGO assist button works and SOS button Works! So it wasn't the account but the App and what was stopping it from working was the EULA. Once I signed into the SXM Guardian app the car now knows and now when I push the Assist button I get this!

FIXED....

JM
Interesting, that app is not available for my Galaxy S21, I'm using the older Uconnect app.

Users who are viewing this thread