5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arghhh another flat

reapur

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
In 40 years of driving, I've had exactly two flat tires. Both have happened within the last 7 months since I bought this 2022 1500 limited night edition with the Pirelli verde scorpions.

These tires obviously have to go, we're tired of worrying about the next flat, all the tools and blankets are still in the bed.
On my 2015 limited I had the Michelin LTX m+s and they were just about perfect for colorado winters and quied highway driving.
I do feel, however, that for these 22's with such a tiny sidewall, that I probably should get an AT tire for a little more toughness.
I do plan to keep the 22" wheels.

From these forums I've gathered the following tires:
Toyo AT3
Continental Terrain Contact A/T
Falken wildpeak at3w
Nitto Recon Grappler

My scenario is that I work from home, use the truck on the weekend to get around and it's mostly parked in the garage. We do take a couple of 1800 mile+ road trips per year. The tires above all seem to be well suited for our winters so it really comes down to a quiet highway ride at this point. Not sure how much the tire weight factors into the fuel economy.

Any thoughts on this decision?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What do you mean
These tires obviously have to go, we're tired of worrying about the next flat, all the tools and blankets are still in the bed.
The Pirelli Scrops are great tires.

Are you taking the truck offroad or into construction sites? What is causing the flat tire? Nails, rocks, contact with curbs?

The 22s are a big problem when it comes to sidewalls and besides getting very large and heavy tires not much you can do with the OEM rims. i'm in the same boat as you wanting to keep my 22s but make them more "durable".
AT tires are not going to give you as good of a ride as all-seasons, and depending on the AT tire may or may not even give you more sidewall

reapur

Reaction score
I should have added more context.
First flat was on I25. never figured out what caused it, a big hole the size of a #2 pencil eraser was left in the tire, it took about 8 seconds to deflate. The second incident on I70 they found a piece of metal, not sure what it was also in the thick part of the tread.
It's interesting everyone tells me the scorpions are great tires and compare the LTX's. Sadly that has not been my experience. Maybe just bad luck.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Some treads just pick up more than others.

It's pretty hard to beat the Michelins for highway driving. I have the LTX's on my 2019 and will be getting another set when I roll over 100K miles. I went with 305's to get a little more bulge on the sidewall to protect the rims from scuffs.

IMG_5707.JPG

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I should have added more context.
First flat was on I25. never figured out what caused it, a big hole the size of a #2 pencil eraser was left in the tire, it took about 8 seconds to deflate. The second incident on I70 they found a piece of metal, not sure what it was also in the thick part of the tread.
It's interesting everyone tells me the scorpions are great tires and compare the LTX's. Sadly that has not been my experience. Maybe just bad luck.
"great" can be subjective. When I think of a "great" tire I think of how long the tread lasts, and it's traction on regular environments like paved roads during dry, wet, and snowy and icy conditions.

I wonder if you had differnet tires if it would of actually prevented a piece of metal going through the thickest part of the tread.
Keep in mind that generally the softer the tire the better the traction, and in theory the least puncture resistant regardless of all season vs all terrain tires.

jeep12joe

Reaction score
I put a set of Terrain Contacts on mine last summer. They are quiet and wet traction is pretty incredible. Overall, I have been very happy with them. The only issue I have is that I've got around 22,000 miles on them and I'm not quite sure how much longer they are going to last. The first two pics are from when they were new, the third is now. It's really hard to tell in the pics but I'd guess they have about half the tread they did when new.

IMG_0042.jpg IMG_9983.jpg IMG_1963.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put a set of Terrain Contacts on mine last summer. They are quiet and wet traction is pretty incredible. Overall, I have been very happy with them. The only issue I have is that I've got around 22,000 miles on them and I'm not quite sure how much longer they are going to last. The first two pics are from when they were new, the third is now. It's really hard to tell in the pics but I'd guess they have about half the tread they did when new.

View attachment 156449 View attachment 156450 View attachment 156451
Like you said, it's hard to tell from the pics how much tread you have left. But it looks like you have a lot more than half the tread left. Only way to know for sure is to measure tread depth and compare that to what it had when new. Tread depth varies depending on tire size, so you'll need to look that up based on your tire size.

reapur

Reaction score
it just occurred to me that I forgot to place the air suspension in jack mode. I don't remember it fighting me.

GrumpyOleMan

Reaction score
About 2 weeks after purchasing my truck (used) I replaced the tires with Falken AT3W's. Not sure what the old tires were but they were definitely not AT's. I did not notice any degradation in ride or noise. very happy with them so far (only a couple thousand miles on them).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
About 2 weeks after purchasing my truck (used) I replaced the tires with Falken AT3W's. Not sure what the old tires were but they were definitely not AT's. I did not notice any degradation in ride or noise. very happy with them so far (only a couple thousand miles on them).
It's been my experience that if you stick with the stock size and ride height there's very little difference in ride comfort between all season tires and A/T tires on these trucks.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

View attachment 156449 View attachment 156450 View attachment 156451
Those look like they still have a lot of life left in them to me. If you drive more highway miles then in town miles on those, I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t make it to through the warranted mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread