5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you kidding me Ram!?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 169620
Do I blame Ram for making the oil filter tight so I needed to use the power of the Omnissiah to take it off? Yeah.
Is that an actual problem? No
And they make it from sheet metal as thin as possible, so anything you try to use for a wrench just crushes it. Like those stupid water bottles you can't get the cap off of. I've been known to drive a Phillips screwdriver through a filter to create a handle with enough leverage to break it loose. Not on the current vehicle, so far.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And they make it from sheet metal as thin as possible, so anything you try to use for a wrench just crushes it. Like those stupid water bottles you can't get the cap off of. I've been known to drive a Phillips screwdriver through a filter to create a handle with enough leverage to break it loose. Not on the current vehicle, so far.
I just had a problem with the first one from the factory.
An oil filter wrench or the strap style work fine for me now (I secure the filter with an oil filter wrench so more then hand tight too)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rubber strap wrench. Won't crush the filter, and grips good enough to get it off

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes lol. Tightened by the resident Silverback Gorilla at the factory, was a fun one to get off.
I use the SRT filters now which don't fit very well because I have a 4wd ram.
I honestly think they put them on dry.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rubber strap wrench. Won't crush the filter, and grips good enough to get it off

Better than ChannelLok but still crushes the same way as the metal strap oil filter wrenches. The advantages are that the rubber strap is more adjustable, and you can attach it inline without needing to go around an end. I have one, I think, unless I tossed it in the trash out of disgust the last time I tried to use it. 🗑️ Looked like a good idea, but I have *never* had any success with it. Always end up needing something else anyway. (n)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Better than ChannelLok but still crushes the same way as the metal strap oil filter wrenches. The advantages are that the rubber strap is more adjustable, and you can attach it inline without needing to go around an end. I have one, I think, unless I tossed it in the trash out of disgust the last time I tried to use it. 🗑️ Looked like a good idea, but I have *never* had any success with it. Always end up needing something else anyway. (n)
I love mine. Just gotta know how to use them. And it won't crush the filter.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never worried about crushing the filter; I'm working on it to remove and discard the thing. I tend to use a big channel locks myself, if the filter metal strap wrench slips too much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never worried about crushing the filter; I'm working on it to remove and discard the thing. I tend to use a big channel locks myself, if the filter metal strap wrench slips too much.
I've basically ripped a filter in half trying to remove it with channel locks or screwdriver before. Then it gets really hard to remove as you lose anything to really grab onto. If never crushed a filter with a rubber strap wrench. They grip the filter better, as long as it's not covered in oil, and that even pressure around the entire filter keeps it from collapsing

Users who are viewing this thread