5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you kidding me Ram!?

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
1664639298972.png

How does the PCM plug break and how do I get the PCM disconnected to install this Pulsar?

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That sucks for sure. But isn't the Tazer module installed inside, just near the OBDII connector?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with mine. Have installed and removed my Pulsar a few times. But that probably helps keep the lever free.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The short answer is that it's plastic and someone applied too much force. Now that it's loose, it should pull straight out. I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one of these connector hoods, so don't know how hard it might be to find and perform. How good is your relationship with the dealer's parts people?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You have to wiggle the connector as you pull up on the lever. Especially if you've never taken them off before. And realize that it shouldn't take much force to pulled the connector off

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
The short answer is that it's plastic and someone applied too much force. Now that it's loose, it should pull straight out. I haven't had the pleasure of replacing one of these connector hoods, so don't know how hard it might be to find and perform. How good is your relationship with the dealer's parts people?
It's not loose though and didn't move. The other one came off easy.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I could have chosen a better word than loose. You've opened the bail, so the only thing holding it together is the combined friction of a zillion electrical pins and sockets inside it. Unless it has gotten water inside and corroded those connections together. From your photos, it looks like some of that may be possible. So you may have to rock it back and forth and up and down and see if you can get it to break free one side at a time. It may require considerable pull, but at the same time you don't want to break it any worse. And it looks like the back side of the bail maybe isn't broken (yet). You may be able to use it as a fulcrum by applying enough force just to hold it in place while pulling and wiggling the front. Any trick in the book.

397STROKER

Reaction score
If that broke and didn't fully open the bail it could be difficult to try and pull it off. I had latch come off the pin, not break, before and the bail was not fully open I had to work the latch back into place and carefully rotate to fully open the bail. this was on one of my challengers. Real pain when you don't have the easy access like you do on the ram.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I guess I could have chosen a better word than loose. You've opened the bail, so the only thing holding it together is the combined friction of a zillion electrical pins and sockets inside it. Unless it has gotten water inside and corroded those connections together. From your photos, it looks like some of that may be possible. So you may have to rock it back and forth and up and down and see if you can get it to break free one side at a time. It may require considerable pull, but at the same time you don't want to break it any worse. And it looks like the back side of the bail maybe isn't broken (yet). You may be able to use it as a fulcrum by applying enough force just to hold it in place while pulling and wiggling the front. Any trick in the book.

The first plug came off with no effort, but the second plug broke as soon as I started unlatching it. I tried wiggling and pulling for about a hour being careful to not damage the plug with no luck. I think it was a faulty plug from the factory.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The first plug came off with no effort, but the second plug broke as soon as I started unlatching it. I tried wiggling and pulling for about a hour being careful to not damage the plug with no luck. I think it was a faulty plug from the factory.
If you still want to DIY, what you are probably going to have to do is make a hole in side of connector, insert a bolt or pin of some sort to hold the latch pivot, and try to work it lose. The cam inside connector isn't releasing without the lever moving it

Psifer

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I had the same thing happen to me when I was converting my Rebel back to stock. I had to press the red lever inwards, toward the PCM so the plastic gears would engage the sliders to unlock. That only worked so much so I needed to use a flathead to help force the sliders all the way down to completely unlock the plug from the PCM.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I had the same thing happen to me when I was converting my Rebel back to stock. I had to press the red lever inwards, toward the PCM so the plastic gears would engage the sliders to unlock. That only worked so much so I needed to use a flathead to help force the sliders all the way down to completely unlock the plug from the PCM.

OMG YOU BROKE THE PLUG ON YOUR PCM YOU MUST BE A IDIOT AND NEED TO DRIVE A SCOOTER ...... AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

-sincerely the trolls on this post

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
OMG YOU BROKE THE PLUG ON YOUR PCM YOU MUST BE A IDIOT AND NEED TO DRIVE A SCOOTER ...... AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

-sincerely the trolls on this post
Or maybe don't pull on the latch, and just unlatch it and pull on the plug?
Crazy concept I know.

1697817972497.jpeg
Do I blame Ram for making the oil filter tight so I needed to use the power of the Omnissiah to take it off? Yeah.
Is that an actual problem? No

Users who are viewing this thread