5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are tire chains allowed on my vehicle?

bgrigg722

Reaction score
Hello all,

Owner of a 2019 Ram Laramie 1500. Tire size 285/45/22.

No where in my owner's manual does it state anything about installing chains on my vehicle. Does anyone know if it's allowed or not due to clearance/brake components etc? I even brought my truck to a pep boys /Firestone and received varying answers. I'm surprised this info isn't in the owners manual even if it isn't allowed..it should state that.

Any help would be much appreciated. I leave for a snow trip in a couple of weekends.

Thanks. Brian

19 North

Reaction score
07ADB51B-DE92-4848-9972-1AB3DDCA114D.png From my owners manual 19 bighorn. There should be something in yours even if it says not to use them.

bgrigg722

Reaction score
View attachment 78557 From my owners manual 19 bighorn. There should be something in yours even if it says not to use them.

Thanks 19 North.

bgrigg722

Reaction score
Just a follow up on this. I reached out to RAM and they stated tire chains are not recommended given my tire size and respective model/trim level. Just additional info for everyone.

*** RAM's response ***

Tire Chains (Traction Devices)

Use of traction devices require sufficient tire-to-body clearance. Follow these recommendations to guard against damage.

- Use “Class S” chains, or other traction aids that meet SAE Type “S” specifications.
- Traction device must be of proper size for the tire, as recommended by the traction device manufacturer.
- On 4x2 and 4x4 1500 model trucks, the use of class “S” snow chains is permitted on the rear wheels only of trucks equipped with 275/65R18 or 275/55R20 tires.

NOTE: DO NOT use tire chains on the rear wheels of 1500 model trucks equipped with 285/45R22 tires. There may not be adequate clearance for the chains and you are risking structural or body damage to your vehicle.

Thanks,
Brian

Reaction score
Thanks. This helps. The Dealer I bought my 2021 Ram 4X4 from in CA asked me to sign a statement that I could not use snow chains on my truck. When I asked to see the reason why, they said oh sorry we thought you had the 22” rims.

ben b

Reaction score
Just a follow up on this. I reached out to RAM and they stated tire chains are not recommended given my tire size and respective model/trim level. Just additional info for everyone.

*** RAM's response ***

Tire Chains (Traction Devices)

Use of traction devices require sufficient tire-to-body clearance. Follow these recommendations to guard against damage.

- Use “Class S” chains, or other traction aids that meet SAE Type “S” specifications.
- Traction device must be of proper size for the tire, as recommended by the traction device manufacturer.
- On 4x2 and 4x4 1500 model trucks, the use of class “S” snow chains is permitted on the rear wheels only of trucks equipped with 275/65R18 or 275/55R20 tires.

NOTE: DO NOT use tire chains on the rear wheels of 1500 model trucks equipped with 285/45R22 tires. There may not be adequate clearance for the chains and you are risking structural or body damage to your vehicle.

Thanks,
Brian
Thanks -- this is great info. Seems like there are some roads in Oregon (maybe other states too?) where even 4WD vehicles with snow tires are required to carry chains, even if they aren't required to install them. Or they can have studded tires installed. Good to know beforehand that they only go on back wheels.

FREEDOM RAMer

Reaction score
Thanks -- this is great info. Seems like there are some roads in Oregon (maybe other states too?) where even 4WD vehicles with snow tires are required to carry chains, even if they aren't required to install them. Or they can have studded tires installed. Good to know beforehand that they only go on back wheels.

A lot of roads in western US and Canada require you to carry snow chains. Of course the assumption with such a rule is they they fit and you know how to install them! (If you never have - please go out and try it in your driveway first, don’t wait until you are stuck to try and figure em’ out!)

I know ID, UT, MT, CA, OR and big chunks of Alberta and BC- off the top of my head - all have somewhat major roads that require them in the winter.

For those who have had clearance issues- what was rubbing? Wheelwell? Brake lines?

Amazing93

Reaction score
A lot of roads in western US and Canada require you to carry snow chains. Of course the assumption with such a rule is they they fit and you know how to install them! (If you never have - please go out and try it in your driveway first, don’t wait until you are stuck to try and figure em’ out!)

I know ID, UT, MT, CA, OR and big chunks of Alberta and BC- off the top of my head - all have somewhat major roads that require them in the winter.

For those who have had clearance issues- what was rubbing? Wheelwell? Brake lines?
WA state does too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If they say to only use them on the rear, which is generally only place you would use them in a RWD truck, not sure why the 22" wheels would be an issue, other than finding chains to fit, and the low profile tires and chains possibly hitting wheels.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I experimented with various tire chains and cables only to find that stock Rams are unsuitable for chains, plus the "chain rears only" was unacceptable. I solved the tire chain problems with Wildpeak snow rated tires and carry Autosocks in lieu of chains

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I experimented with various tire chains and cables only to find that stock Rams are unsuitable for chains, plus the "chain rears only" was unacceptable. I solved the tire chain problems with Wildpeak snow rated tires and carry Autosocks in lieu of chains
I'd be surprised if those would pass in places where they have chain requirements.

And unless you are driving off-road in deep snow, not sure why there would ever be a need to put chains on all four tires.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if those would pass in places where they have chain requirements.

And unless you are driving off-road in deep snow, not sure why there would ever be a need to put chains on all four tires.
They are legally qualified, and even tested to work as good, as long as you remove them as soon as you are not on snow anymore.

They are even able to be used in California, where basically nothing is allowed.

John Jensen

Reaction score
mine states I can use "S" class, have not but that is what it states
View attachment 154668
Class S are cable type chains. I have a set for my Eco. They do fit with abput an inch or less clearance from the brake line. If the chain were to break, which happens frequently, I'm afraid it would take out the brakes. Thus my S type are on Craigs List and I have the Autosocks.

John Jensen

Reaction score

Apparently, you did not read about them on the link I posted.

Apparently, you haven't been on any icy roads where if you didn't have the fronts chained you had no control. If I have to "chain up" I want all the security/control I can get.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, you did not read about them on the link I posted.

Apparently, you haven't been on any icy roads where if you didn't have the fronts chained you had no control. If I have to "chain up" I want all the security/control I can get.
Apparently, you don't know me.

No, I didn't read every bit of information about them. I saw what they were and didn't think places like Cali would let them pass for areas where chains were required.

As far as conditions I have driven in. If you are going fast enough, and/or have crappy enough tires on your vehicle, that chains, on your front tires, would make the difference in being able to control your vehicle, you may want to rethink your tires or how you drive.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine states I can use "S" class, have not but that is what it states
View attachment 154668
I would like to point out an interesting fact that this page of the manual says the rebel is not chainable. Their tire size is one very small hint of a size bigger, so ??? I agree that anything metallic being that close to a 22" aluminum rim may scratch. Another thread had considered moving the offending front brake line union (or was it the ABS wire?) mount away from the tire, altho I wonder how close the UCA may be if it has to be changed over a 2" lift.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Apparently, you don't know me.

No, I didn't read every bit of information about them. I saw what they were and didn't think places like Cali would let them pass for areas where chains were required.

As far as conditions I have driven in. If you are going fast enough, and/or have crappy enough tires on your vehicle, that chains, on your front tires, would make the difference in being able to control your vehicle, you may want to rethink your tires or how you drive.
Here's what you missed about where they are approved Autosocks approvals.

WRONG, don't need your lecture! I don't need to rethink my tires or how I drive. Been driving for 75 years, never had snow, icy or wet conditions mishap. I am very safety conscious and always have appropriate tires and go slower than conditions will allow. I've seen ice conditions where 18 wheelers were stopped in a line but sliding into one another. I was 4 wheel chained and able to creep and had steering control. If I have to chain up I'll always chain all four.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread