5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these upgrades possibe?

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i dont even have my truck yet but thinking i want these upgrades at some point
1. 12 inch screen i had it my build sheet but my wife said do you really need that big of a screen? and the sales man agreed and said it was over kill. it was 2k$
2. OME power side steps, was not a option for the big horn (i don't want after market)
3. OME wireless charging station, was not a option for the big horn
I also want a aftermarket exhaust but don't want to void my warranty. does it really void it?

Also with these upgrades do you have to the dealer program your truck so they work and function?

Attachments

• 20200628_114949.jpg
    20200628_114949.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 41

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
2 of the 3 can be done for sure. I know there are threads covering the upgrade from 8.4 to 12" screen. You'll have to hunt. There's also a thread showing how the wireless charger was installed in a truck that didn't come with it. Power running boards i suspect are possible, but I have no knowledge even secondhand of what's involved.

The search box up above is your friend. Happy hunting.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can upgrade your 8.4 to 12 inch. It's an easy swap. Watch the video that's about halfway down the page in this link...

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Every item you listed can be done afterwards. You will need AlfaOBD to set up the integration for the power steps. They will work with door open and close, but you won't have the option menus, soft key, or cluster notifications until activated in AlfaOBD or pay the dealership to do it.
You'll also need AlfaOBD for the 12" screen setup.
The wireless charging dock once wired up just works.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 of the 3 can be done for sure. I know there are threads covering the upgrade from 8.4 to 12" screen. You'll have to hunt. There's also a thread showing how the wireless charger was installed in a truck that didn't come with it. Power running boards i suspect are possible, but I have no knowledge even secondhand of what's involved.

Thanks

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I am hoping after a year or so i might be able to find these in a salvage yard for pennies on the dollar
Happy hunting. I wish you luck on your wish list but given the value of the models that have those options I think it'll be more than a year before they start showing up in a scrapyard.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best bet on the OEM power running boards is to try to find them at a local dealer thats running a special or discount. The box is HUGE and will cost a couple hundred bucks to ship. Also, there's no way a salvage yard is going to remove the wiring harnesses necessary so getting those would be problematic. I installed myself and with AlfaOBD the programming was simple. I LOVE them.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best bet on the OEM power running boards is to try to find them at a local dealer thats running a special or discount. The box is HUGE and will cost a couple hundred bucks to ship. Also, there's no way a salvage yard is going to remove the wiring harnesses necessary so getting those would be problematic. I installed myself and with AlfaOBD the programming was simple. I LOVE them.
I have a few junk yards around me were you pull you own parts. So i was hoping to do that. The parts are normally really cheap

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a few junk yards around me were you pull you own parts. So i was hoping to do that. The parts are normally really cheap
I don't know about the self-serve junkyards near you, but the ones in my area never have anything newer than 10 years old. All the newer vehicles go to the local salvage yards (non self serve). And prices range from 50 to 75 percent of what the same part new would cost.

Jsavoie

Reaction score
Power boards are only possible on a 2019, 2020/2021 will not function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That and the yards are charging almost new prices for used items. It's ridiculous!
I was looking for OEM LED headlights last year. I called the huge salvage yard where’d I’d gotten parts before. They wanted $485 a piece for lights with broken tabs. I said you realize I can get brand new ones online for less than $50 more than that? They didn’t care.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking for OEM LED headlights last year. I called the huge salvage yard where’d I’d gotten parts before. They wanted $485 a piece for lights with broken tabs. I said you realize I can get brand new ones online for less than $50 more than that? They didn’t care.
wow, good thing i ordered mine on the build. i am getting older and don't see as well at night. i don't think i will be adding much for the first few years. maybe some window tint, its illegal here in pa but i qualify for an exception. i still can get pulled over for it

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Power boards are only possible on a 2019, 2020/2021 will not function

Not correct....MOPAR part number 82215287AD (for crew cab) Found here on Mopar's website https://store.mopar.com/v-2021-ram-1500--laramie--5-7l-v8-gas/accessories-exterior--assist-step

And as far as salvage parts...do it! Just make sure you get all the wiring harnesses and the control box...IIRC there are two main harnesses, one for power and one to control motors on both sides. The control box *should* be mounted high up and to the left on the firewall in the driver's footwell. There are wires going to the CAN blocks as well. It's a relatively simple system, but it's a bit of work.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not correct....MOPAR part number 82215287AD (for crew cab) Found here on Mopar's website https://store.mopar.com/v-2021-ram-1500--laramie--5-7l-v8-gas/accessories-exterior--assist-step

And as far as salvage parts...do it! Just make sure you get all the wiring harnesses and the control box...IIRC there are two main harnesses, one for power and one to control motors on both sides. The control box *should* be mounted high up and to the left on the firewall in the driver's footwell. There are wires going to the CAN blocks as well. It's a relatively simple system, but it's a bit of work.
thanks for the info!

Jsavoie

Reaction score

I work at a dealer that tried to add power boards to a 2021 and they did not fold in or out, even talked to tech support and their information said those boards are for 2019 only. So unless they have addressed that issue... they will not work

Users who are viewing this thread