5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the led healights worth the $1,000 upgrade cost?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just spend some time in the Exterior section of the forum and you'll see threads filled with all kinds of posts where people either want to or have upgraded from the halogen lights. And lots of people saying they wished they had gotten the LED upgrade. The other thing you get is LED tail lights, which a lot of people are also wanting to upgrade.

The main concern I would have is what happens when one burns out. With the halogen housings you just replace the bulb. With the LED housing you replace the entire headlight assembly. So replacement cost is a definite consideration.

Agreed with cost; but I don't get your first argument, otherwise you should be unhappy with your 3.21 since I can find posts where people want to upgrade to 3.92.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed with cost; but I don't get your first argument, otherwise you should be unhappy with your 3.21 since I can find posts where people want to upgrade to 3.92.
I can't think of one thread where anyone complained that they wanted to swap their LED's for halogen's, but it's possible they exist. And I'm sure there are people who would do that swap (I'm assuming you're one of them). But I don't talk absolutes here. By far, the vast majority of people would prefer the LED's to the halogen's.

Just as an FYI, I'm very happy with the gearing my truck has. I don't own anything that needs towing, and don't plan to get anything anytime soon. My truck is a cruiser, and I enjoy the 17.5+ combined mpg's I'm seeing with it.

silver billet

Reaction score
I can't think of one thread where anyone complained that they wanted to swap their LED's for halogen's, but it's possible they exist. And I'm sure there are people who would do that swap (I'm assuming you're one of them). But I don't talk absolutes here. By far, the vast majority of people would prefer the LED's to the halogen's.

Just as an FYI, I'm very happy with the gearing my truck has. I don't own anything that needs towing, and don't plan to get anything anytime soon. My truck is a cruiser, and I enjoy the 17.5+ combined mpg's I'm seeing with it.

I'm sure the vast majority simply don't care (LED vs Halogen) in terms of looks/style. Us on the forums is in no way representative of the majority of Ram owners. Judging by the huge amount of Halogens I see running around where I live in Tradesman/BigHorn trims, it's obvious that most either don't care or don't want to pay extra for the "fancy lights".

I didn't swap LED's; I factory ordered my truck down to the last spec, and specifically ordered halogens because I cannot find the LEDs attractive visually, and as far as light output goes in the dark, well we used Halogens for 30+ years just fine and though the LEDs are brighter, I simply don't find the halogens lacking either, that's what high beams are for. 🤷‍♂️

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm sure the vast majority simply don't care (LED vs Halogen) in terms of looks/style. Us on the forums is in no way representative of the majority of Ram owners. Judging by the huge amount of Halogens I see running around where I live in Tradesman/BigHorn trims, it's obvious that most either don't care or don't want to pay extra for the "fancy lights".

I didn't swap LED's; I factory ordered my truck down to the last spec, and specifically ordered halogens because I cannot find the LEDs attractive visually, and as far as light output goes in the dark, well we used Halogens for 30+ years just fine and though the LEDs are brighter, I simply don't find the halogens lacking either, that's what high beams are for. 🤷‍♂️
Lets just agree to disagree and move on. The OP asked for opinions on the LED lights, and we've both given more than our fair share.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you keep the halogens, you'll want to upgrade to aftermarket LED bulbs for the headlights, fog lights, and taillights. That will cost you around $400-$500 for quality replacements, plus your time in changing them out (not sure how difficult changing bulbs is on these Rams, my F150 you had to remove the tire and wheel well liner so an almost two hour job for the fronts alone). High beams and low beams are about $125-150 for each pair, fog lights and tail lights $70-100 each pair (would you replace the white tails?). Then there is the looks factor, and the factory LED housings look much nicer. IMO well worth the $1000 add on. You can get blind spot for another $595 MSRP, IMO another must-have (it is why I went Limited with my order instead of Laramie). I am pretty sure you can get blind spot/cross path still in a Big Horn since it isn't a popular option for that trim.

Note that if you're ordering vs buying a lot truck you're looking at a 2022 model year with as of now unknown pricing.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you keep the halogens, you'll want to upgrade to aftermarket LED bulbs for the headlights, fog lights, and taillights. That will cost you around $400 for quality replacements, plus your time in changing them out (not sure how difficult changing bulbs is on these Rams, my F150 you had to remove the tire and wheel well liner so an almost two hour job for the fronts alone). Then there is the looks factor, and the factory LED housings look much nicer. IMO well worth the $1000 add on. You can get blind spot for another $595 MSRP, IMO another must-have (it is why I went Limited with my order instead of Laramie). I am pretty sure you can get blind spot/cross path still in a Big Horn since it isn't a popular option for that trim.

Note that if you're ordering vs buying a lot truck you're looking at a 2022 model year with as of now unknown pricing.
This is what I was going to say. If you get the Halogens and just want LED bulbs you're looking at at least $300 if you want bulbs that have high output and last longer than a year. Factor in labor even if you do it yourself and you're at least at $500. So it's not spending $1000 on LED's, it's spending $500 +/- 150 or so on LED's and housings. As you've seen in this thread it's debatable, but my neighbor's Big Horn with the big, clumsy halogens sitting next to my Rebel with reflector LED's is no comparison. I also prefer the reflector LED's compared to the projector looks on these trucks. Go look at all 3 types of housings on the lot (including tail lights) and decide for yourself.

One last thing: Halogen fog lights are round if I'm not mistaken. The rectangle fogs were another appearance factor for me since they flow so much better with the rest of the front end.

vincentw56

Reaction score
This is what I was going to say. If you get the Halogens and just want LED bulbs you're looking at at least $300 if you want bulbs that have high output and last longer than a year. Factor in labor even if you do it yourself and you're at least at $500. So it's not spending $1000 on LED's, it's spending $500 +/- 150 or so on LED's and housings. As you've seen in this thread it's debatable, but my neighbor's Big Horn with the big, clumsy halogens sitting next to my Rebel with reflector LED's is no comparison. I also prefer the reflector LED's compared to the projector looks on these trucks. Go look at all 3 types of housings on the lot (including tail lights) and decide for yourself.

One last thing: Halogen fog lights are round if I'm not mistaken. The rectangle fogs were another appearance factor for me since they flow so much better with the rest of the front end.
That is correct. Halogen fogs are round and LEDs are rectangle.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

silver billet

Reaction score
Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Ok, lol, you can just move on without my permission ;) . I'm here though because I enjoy the discussion.

If you keep the halogens, you'll want to upgrade to aftermarket LED bulbs for the headlights, fog lights, and taillights.

Why? I certainly didn't want to upgrade to LED bulbs, and it's not a requirement. Like I said in a previous post, we've used halogens for decades before LEDs, somehow we all survived.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regardless of which way you go and the opinions offered by all of us, I'm relatively certain we can all agree halogen or LEDs are far superior to these that some of us grew up with (my GI Joe combat flashlight was brighter than these things!):

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of which way you go and the opinions offered by all of us, I'm relatively certain we can all agree halogen or LEDs are far superior to these that some of us grew up with (my GI Joe combat flashlight was brighter than these things!):

When I was a kid, we had two candles strapped to the front of our Edsel. They weren’t very bright, and would easily blow out, so my dad made my sisters and me run several yards ahead of the car, cupping our hands over the flame to prevent them from blowing out. He’d beep the horn if we didn’t run fast enough.

And we liked it, just fine!

JbVt

Reaction score

I’m guessing the “huge amount” of tradesman and bighorn with halogens you see are dealer lot trucks not factory ordered. I know almost every single bighorn around me sitting on the lot had the halogens. So not a lot of weight in that statement. You’d have to find out how many halogens were specifically ordered vs the LED. Just saying. I ordered my LEDs and don’t regret it one penny.

vincentw56

Reaction score
When I was a kid, we had two candles strapped to the front of our Edsel. They weren’t very bright, and would easily blow out, so my dad made my sisters and me run several yards ahead of the car, cupping our hands over the flame to prevent them from blowing out. He’d beep the horn if we didn’t run fast enough.

And we liked it, just fine!
That's the best. Yeah, what ever they did before this new fangled technology has to be better. I mean they don't build them like they used to (and I'm really glad they don't).

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

silver billet

Reaction score
I’m guessing the “huge amount” of tradesman and bighorn with halogens you see are dealer lot trucks not factory ordered. I know almost every single bighorn around me sitting on the lot had the halogens. So not a lot of weight in that statement. You’d have to find out how many halogens were specifically ordered vs the LED. Just saying. I ordered my LEDs and don’t regret it one penny.

The higher trims can only be ordered with LED's, guess that's kinda skewing the results too; works both ways my friend.

Reaction score
LED's all the way!!! Far better light output. I specifically like my reflective housing in my Canadian Sport model which is a black housing. My truck was a dealer lot truck, had all the options I wanted so I took it. Even if I was ordering custom, I would have spend the money on the LED's. Can't put a price on better safety.

I'm not sure I would spend the extra money between LED reflective vs LED projector. While the projectors are nice, I don't need the turning headlights (lights slightly turn when in a curve) more moving expensive parts to break down the road (out of warranty probably too!!). If I lived in the Country on dark backroads I may have a different opinion on that.

As others have said, it's not just the headlights for $1000 it's the LED fog lights and the LED taillights in that group. So it comes down to: Do you want better light output ? and What design to you like best?.

Silver Billet has stated we have been using Halogen for decades without issue, while he/she is correct on this statement that doesn't mean they can't be replaced with someone better. Otherwise you could also say we got along fine without seatbelts or all these sensors helping with parking, or backup cameras, power windows, power door locks you get my point. Positive progress to make our life easier and safer is always a positive in my mind. Why get by with what we used decades ago, when we can improve on outdated stuff.

LED all the way!! (until the next best light system comes out)

flyfingers

Reaction score
I went through the same angst re; halogen v. LED and in the end I just couldn't justify the extra grand to upgrade to LED. I've never had a vehicle with LED so I really don't know what I'm missing I guess but the factory halogens work just fine in my opinion. I've never been driving and thought I needed more light except for the back roads maybe and in that situation I simply use the high beams. I do have very good night vision though and perhaps people that don't see all too well in the dark benefit from the LEDs? I dunno.

For me, as always, it boiled down to the $1,000 and whether or not I wanted to afford it and I opted to put the money toward the Level 2 package as the heated seats were more of desire than the headlights but to each their own. As far as looks go, meh whatever. If others don't like the look of it, well, that's too bad as I don't much care what the guy in the car next to me thinks.

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
I'm spec-ing out a Bighorn and have chosen everything but the headlights. Halogen for free or LED for $1,000 more. Are the halogens fine or no? Thoughts?
“Man I wish I would have kept the halogens instead of upgrading” said no one ever! Pricey, yes. Worth it, yes. Buy factory with the warranty. Better than trying to find a good quality replacement with the possible issues of connectors, not playing well with factory controls, etc. and limited warranty. If possible, test drive both at night. Seeing is believing.
Another consideration. Don’t be the jack*** that puts LEDs into a halogen reflector and blinds everyone with the glare. If you go that route, do your homework and make sure the bulbs are compatible. Very few LEDs are designed to work in a halogen reflector.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Silver Billet has stated we have been using Halogen for decades without issue, while he/she is correct on this statement that doesn't mean they can't be replaced with someone better. Otherwise you could also say we got along fine without seatbelts or all these sensors helping with parking, or backup cameras, power windows, power door locks you get my point. Positive progress to make our life easier and safer is always a positive in my mind. Why get by with what we used decades ago, when we can improve on outdated stuff.

Funny you mention that; because I leave my parking sensors permanently turned off, I turn of my MDS everytime I hit drive, and am not a fan of the other nannys/safeties. However the backup camera is great, as are the power doors and locks and AC. So I'm not against progress, and I think LED's can look great, I'm just not a fan of this particular implementation and I don't feel it's worth the upgrade cost. Anyway... I don't believe I'll be changing anybody's mind so perhaps its best for me to head out this thread too.

Users who are viewing this thread