5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the led healights worth the $1,000 upgrade cost?

Fugitive

Reaction score
I'm spec-ing out a Bighorn and have chosen everything but the headlights. Halogen for free or LED for $1,000 more. Are the halogens fine or no? Thoughts?

BNeal

Reaction score
Wow! They came on my Limited and I love them, but I don't think I would option them for $1000.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They produce more light/lumens than the halogens, no question. However they are costly to buy, costly to replace, and look bad (design wise) in non limited trim (IMHO); the halogens have a clearer look, and just look better all around, like a "big rig" light. I don't know what is so badly off in the LED lights but that design is one of the worst I've seen. The limited LEDs look best though.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a 20 Laramie with the LEDs and a 20 Lone Star with halogens that I switched over to LED bulbs. Although the LED bulbs helped the Lone Star, they are nothing compared to the Laramie LEDs. The $1000 is money very well spent!!!!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep when in mind that there are three types of headlights available: halogen (standard on Tradesman, Big Horn/Lone Star), reflector LED (standard on Laramie, available on BH/LS), and projector LED (standard on Limited and Longhorn, not available on anything else).

So when you read people’s take on their Limited LEDs, remember you won’t be getting the same lights. That said, I’d pay for the upgrade.

JbVt

Reaction score
They produce more light/lumens than the halogens, no question. However they are costly to buy, costly to replace, and look bad (design wise) in non limited trim (IMHO); the halogens have a clearer look, and just look better all around, like a "big rig" light. I don't know what is so badly off in the LED lights but that design is one of the worst I've seen. The limited LEDs look best though.
I actually disagree that they look bad, although I have the night edition so they are black backgrounds. I think they look 10x better than the halogen light housings.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually disagree that they look bad, although I have the night edition so they are black backgrounds. I think they look 10x better than the halogen light housings.
I think so, too. My take: Limited/Longhorn projector LEDs, look the best, then Laramie reflector LEDs, then Big Horn halogens.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
The Halogen lights look goofy on these trucks. The aesthetics alone make the $1000 cost to upgrade worth it. Not to mention if you upgrade later, you will certainly spend more and they won't be covered under warranty if they go bad.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You can always upgrade your Bighorn and Laramie lights to the limited. Just requires some work and money.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

silver billet

Reaction score
Nope; the halogens look tough, the Big Horn LEDs have that bottom frosting that is badly designed; it looks likes its been sitting in the texas sun for 15 years and is all cracked, faded, and really old. Just 1 inch solid frosting and a little wave going through it, I've seen better design on a $20,000 Kia.

Each to their own; for me, the answer is "no, the LED's are not worth the upgrade". But I've said my piece and won't continue arguing about it either :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just spend some time in the Exterior section of the forum and you'll see threads filled with all kinds of posts where people either want to or have upgraded from the halogen lights. And lots of people saying they wished they had gotten the LED upgrade. The other thing you get is LED tail lights, which a lot of people are also wanting to upgrade.

The main concern I would have is what happens when one burns out. With the halogen housings you just replace the bulb. With the LED housing you replace the entire headlight assembly. So replacement cost is a definite consideration.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Keep when in mind that there are three types of headlights available: halogen (standard on Tradesman, Big Horn/Lone Star), reflector LED (standard on Laramie and Rebel, available on BH/LS), and projector LED (standard on Limited and Longhorn, not available on anything else).

So when you read people’s take on their Limited LEDs, remember you won’t be getting the same lights. That said, I’d pay for the upgrade.
^^You forgot the Rebel :p
And the TRX headlights look very similar to the Limited and Longhorn lights, but I'm not sure if they are the same or not.

Users who are viewing this thread