5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are stock tires on 20" black edition crap?

JeremyFOwens

Reaction score
I have stock tires on my 2019 1500 big horn night edition with 15k miles. The roads are a bit wet today and I was getting on the interstate and fishtailed when I started getting on the gas. Also when I we getting back on the gas going up a hill after slowing down for someone who pulled out in front of me. Is it just my driving style or do these tires slip a lot? I also want to change those tires our for something with a bigger sidewall. Feel like if I run over a curb with this wheel/tire combo I would damage the truck but with my old truck it wouldn't. Thoughts/suggestions?

MFALRAM

Reaction score
If they are the duellers they are garbage. I hated mine . I have nitto ridge grapplers on now.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came with Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA tires and they're pretty awesome for street driving.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Are they the NEXEN? They are the worst tire I have ever had on a vehicle...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they the NEXEN? They are the worst tire I have ever had on a vehicle...

I don't really have an issue with the Nexans other then they are nothing to look at. They are decent in the wet and I'm at 22K and they still have more then half the tread. My last two trucks came with Goodyears and they were shot by 20K. I usually switch to Michelin's when the stock tires wear out and will do the same when these are shot.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Should have insisted on keeping my Wildpeak AT3Ws from my traded truck. Dealer admitted the BFG would not look good on the F150 I traded, so they unfortunately we're unwaivering about me keeping the tires if I wanted my payoff. I will go back to Wildpeaks when these start wearing out or after the first snow, I have no traction.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BFG Dueller's
BFG doesn’t make the Dueller’s, they are Bridgestones. I like them. I’ve had them on most of my vehicles from my ‘92 XJ, ’11 RAV4, ’15 RAM 1500, and my current DT. Too bad you don’t care for them, good luck with your next set.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
Around 11k miles with the stock duelers 275/55/r20 and honestly, I think the tire compound is pretty good for grip and tread-wear rating is going well SO FAR for a daily street truck occasional sand warrior. My last set of tires were the extreme opposite. like 85lb 35x12.5xR22 Fuel m/t's on 14' ram 1500.
Even though I want to hate everything about them, so I can justify replacing them while they are still usable they have been good to me so far.
If you specifically want rain traction, pick a tire in size you want, that is designed for wet traction.
Was looking for wet traction rating for these tires for this comment and found this instead, as one of the paragraph"auto google responses".

Mavis Discount Tire has received 148 tire reviews for the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza Plus. This tire has received a 4 out of 5 Star rating with 90% of the respondents saying they would buy again. Dry Traction and Wet Traction received the highest marks and total mileage that as been reviewed is 616,082

take that with a grain of salt obviously, as how many other tires had they tried if it comes stock? I'd fall into the 10% of not buying again. There are a ton of quality options it seems.

Stats say they are 800-tread-wear rating A-Temp A-Traction. Which is a really good rating obviously, tread-wear could be better but that's at expense of traction usually.
Although I cant find info on what ply they are. I'm guessing 2 ply.
This helps with fuel mileage, low weight helps with making truck quicker too... (although they still missed the preferred "under 5000lb" mark for registration classification)
For offroading involving sidewall rubbing, not a good tire choice.
Main gripe for me is the fronts look overloaded even at 39psi because they are so thin, tires weighing only 38lbs a piece which is like the lightest they come.

I've been planning on what I'm going to replace them with, knowing whatever i pick probably wont have the "roll" or bounce that these low ply dueler tires have.
I was thinking a hybrid all-terrain like Cooper Discoverer at3 4S or Hankook dynapros maybe even ko2's. 33-34" if under 55lbs a piece.

My truck looses traction too depending on surface when wet, but not as bad as m/t's would imo..
I chalked that up to having no weight in back end (truck design) and giving it too much power.
Also, have duelers have done pretty well in sand for me surprisingly... x2 Better traction than I thought it would have in some sandy trails

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no issues with the Bridgestones and living in Florida we get plenty of torrential downpours. Never once had the truck even think about breaking loose. I also drive carefully in the rain so that probably has something to do with it.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Bridgestone Duelers so far, driven on I-65 and around town in very heavy rain and they did just fine and we generally don't get much snow. Comfortable ride, and mine seem to be balanced perfectly. I haven't had them long enough to predict how long they'll last but for now I have no complaints.

Tirerack has 1,479 reviews on them and all rating categories are green, ranked 9th out of 32 in the crossover/SUV touring all-season tires they sell.

JeremyFOwens

Reaction score
Around 11k miles with the stock duelers 275/55/r20 and honestly, I think the tire compound is pretty good for grip and tread-wear rating is going well SO FAR for a daily street truck occasional sand warrior. My last set of tires were the extreme opposite. like 85lb 35x12.5xR22 Fuel m/t's on 14' ram 1500.
Even though I want to hate everything about them, so I can justify replacing them while they are still usable they have been good to me so far.
If you specifically want rain traction, pick a tire in size you want, that is designed for wet traction.
Was looking for wet traction rating for these tires for this comment and found this instead, as one of the paragraph"auto google responses".

Mavis Discount Tire has received 148 tire reviews for the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza Plus. This tire has received a 4 out of 5 Star rating with 90% of the respondents saying they would buy again. Dry Traction and Wet Traction received the highest marks and total mileage that as been reviewed is 616,082

take that with a grain of salt obviously, as how many other tires had they tried if it comes stock? I'd fall into the 10% of not buying again. There are a ton of quality options it seems.

Stats say they are 800-tread-wear rating A-Temp A-Traction. Which is a really good rating obviously, tread-wear could be better but that's at expense of traction usually.
Although I cant find info on what ply they are. I'm guessing 2 ply.
This helps with fuel mileage, low weight helps with making truck quicker too... (although they still missed the preferred "under 5000lb" mark for registration classification)
For offroading involving sidewall rubbing, not a good tire choice.
Main gripe for me is the fronts look overloaded even at 39psi because they are so thin, tires weighing only 38lbs a piece which is like the lightest they come.

I've been planning on what I'm going to replace them with, knowing whatever i pick probably wont have the "roll" or bounce that these low ply dueler tires have.
I was thinking a hybrid all-terrain like Cooper Discoverer at3 4S or Hankook dynapros maybe even ko2's. 33-34" if under 55lbs a piece.

My truck looses traction too depending on surface when wet, but not as bad as m/t's would imo..
I chalked that up to having no weight in back end (truck design) and giving it too much power.
Also, have duelers have done pretty well in sand for me surprisingly... x2 Better traction than I thought it would have in some sandy trails

I have had both the Dynapros and Discoverer AT3 and both worked great for me. They never last to the warranty though. I trade them in and get credit from discount tire. Both had great traction.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
I don't really have an issue with the Nexans other then they are nothing to look at. They are decent in the wet and I'm at 22K and they still have more then half the tread. My last two trucks came with Goodyears and they were shot by 20K. I usually switch to Michelin's when the stock tires wear out and will do the same when these are shot.
I have plenty of tread left...but I haven't had traction since about 4k miles (10k ago)

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Falken at3w dose very well in the rain and even better in the snow.

Boston

Reaction score
Factory tires are price dependent with a doze of epa mpg compliance.

In other words pretty cr@p

sawyer84

Reaction score
I have a 2019 w/ Black Appearance Package as well and have the same tires. They have performed surprisingly well, although I don’t want to like them so I can get new tires. I want some performance tires though. I also want to have the white letters, like the tires currently have since black tires on black rims kinda look washed out, in my opinion. Haven’t found what I’m looking for yet. But yeah, my OEM Duelers have held up great.

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC | Black Appearance Package | 3.92 Anti-Spin | DS InTune w/ Jay Greene Custom Tune | B2 Fab. Magnaflow w/ Resonator Delete | S&B CAI | Hellwig Swaybar | 2” Rear Lowering Springs

Users who are viewing this thread