5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are software updates part of PDI?

smonska

Reaction score
Buying a new '19 that's been on the lot for many months. Being that there have been a lot of updates since my truck was built, I can see that 3 recalls were done to it, but no way for a buyer to see if the software updates were done. Are doing updates to all the various modules part of the PDI before delivery?

I know FCA isn't doing them for free as part of service visits any more, and in fact charging for them if you request it.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Buying a new '19 that's been on the lot for many months. Being that there have been a lot of updates since my truck was built, I can see that 3 recalls were done to it, but no way for a buyer to see if the software updates were done. Are doing updates to all the various modules part of the PDI before delivery?

I know FCA isn't doing them for free as part of service visits any more, and in fact charging for them if you request it.

The dealership that I use doesn't charge me for any updates. I ask them everytime I go in for an oil change and if they are any they just update it and hasn't charged me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smonska

Reaction score
That's awesome. Apparently it's not just FCA anymore, my buddy just told me he brought his Powerstroke in for an oil change, and the Ford dealer tried to charge him .5hr labor for doing updates, which he didn't even request (they took it off his bill).

Klute

Reaction score
1/2 hour for a tech to make a setting and then watch the update download, what a crock of crap.

geotex1

Reaction score
The process is clearly changing. The average tech, not even the master, can download flash updates. The service manager now has to request them and obtain the download file, which apparently is not a sure thing, and cam then hand the tablet to the tech to actually complete the flash. Probably partly to control wasted productivity time and partly to avoid generating unintended consequences from trying to fix something not broken (i.e., did not come in with a real compliant and able to be duplicated).

Firebird

Reaction score
My dealer does them automatically when I am in for any kind of service, but not at PDI

Grayman5752

Reaction score
The process is clearly changing. The average tech, not even the master, can download flash updates. The service manager now has to request them and obtain the download file, which apparently is not a sure thing, and cam then hand the tablet to the tech to actually complete the flash. Probably partly to control wasted productivity time and partly to avoid generating unintended consequences from trying to fix something not broken (i.e., did not come in with a real compliant and able to be duplicated).

Don’t know where you got this info from, but definitely incorrect. Any tech with an FCA log in and access to WiTech can flash a module. FCA just won’t necessarily pay the tech to flash it if the customer didn’t have an issue that the flash addresses. There are “essential” (recalls, rapid response transmittal) and “non-essential” (customer specific concerns). We used to make a killing on performing software updates before they cracked down on them.

geotex1

Reaction score
Don’t know where you got this info from, but definitely incorrect. Any tech with an FCA log in and access to WiTech can flash a module. FCA just won’t necessarily pay the tech to flash it if the customer didn’t have an issue that the flash addresses. There are “essential” (recalls, rapid response transmittal) and “non-essential” (customer specific concerns). We used to make a killing on performing software updates before they cracked down on them.

Just reporting what I observed at my selling dealer in Delaware, and then observed and discussed with my servicing dealer's Service Manager here in PA. These dealers have no relationship, but doing the exact same process. Maybe it's just them, maybe not.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's awesome. Apparently it's not just FCA anymore, my buddy just told me he brought his Powerstroke in for an oil change, and the Ford dealer tried to charge him .5hr labor for doing updates, which he didn't even request (they took it off his bill).

Took it off his bill, wonder how they removed them from his truck ;) .

Grayman5752

Reaction score
Just reporting what I observed at my selling dealer in Delaware, and then observed and discussed with my servicing dealer's Service Manager here in PA. These dealers have no relationship, but doing the exact same process. Maybe it's just them, maybe not.

Not sure man. Maybe it has to do with their warranty status. My dealership is a Premium status shop, so we have a lot more freedom in what repairs we can do without getting FCA’s approval or involvement.

Users who are viewing this thread