5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are our windshields prone to damage?

gwarrior4u

Reaction score
Had a rock hit mine while I was out on the freeway (sounded pretty bad, but the window was starred), got home and with it sitting in the sun there were 3 cracks 6" long radiating from the ding in a 1/2 an hours time. Insurance picked up a chunk, but Safelite quotes it as a $1100 windshield. (Limited with all the bells and whistles). Damn!

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there is something to be said about creating the right amount of distance between you and the vehicle or truck in front of you. Also, if I ever pass a big rig I gun it and get out of it's rear and side vicinity as quick as possible. When you are driving on a two lane road and dealing with oncoming traffic, it is a roll of the dice of when a rock will just skip the right way and get ya.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there is something to be said about creating the right amount of distance between you and the vehicle or truck in front of you. Also, if I ever pass a big rig I gun it and get out of it's rear and side vicinity as quick as possible. When you are driving on a two lane road and dealing with oncoming traffic, it is a roll of the dice of when a rock will just skip the right way and get ya.

Yes, I try to keep a good following distance on the highway and I don't ride behind big trucks or trailers if I can help it. It's especially bad during pothole season when the crappy roads are coming apart the worst.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Already replaced it once with two chips and now have a new chip, keeping my deductible at $50 because the retail cost of this windshield is cra cra! On a side note my Motor-home windshield has taken around 9 hits to the windshield and I always carry a windshield repair kit in it so they don't spread. Motor-home windshield is huge compared to the Ram so I am sure it would be around $2K to replace and they don't do the same deductible type insurance on a motor-home unless you pay big $$$

Lize

Reaction score
Finally had the screen replaced, I'm in the UK and having already paid £220 ended up having to pay a further £110, so all in all the replacement has cost around £1150. Windscreen limit is something to take note of when taking out insurance, slipped up with the £800 limit on current policy.

Mine has blind spot detection and rain sensing wipers but not adaptive cruise control so can anyone confirm that after its fitted I'll get a warning light on the dash and will need to get it recalibrated please?
No calibration was necessary.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Driving cross country (instead of flying to see the grand kids) and first day out caught a rock that hit lower driver’s side and chipped and cracked.

bought some super glue to seal it and the crack has stopped at least.

have to wait until I get back home for new windshield from dealer (I like the little ram symbol on the lower passenger side).

good thing for 0 deductible.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My weathertech bug and stone deflector has caught and thrown off two large rocks thus far without it landing on my windshield. I have two large gashes into the plastic, so I think it's paid for itself 20 times over so far, lol. But a lot of it I think is luck of the draw. You need to have the rock or stone hit a certain way for it to catch that front hood guard.

Grouper

Reaction score
Made it 10 years on my previous Silverado with no damage to the windshield. I've had the 2021 Ram for a year and got a chip, right in my line of site, last week. Just lucky, I guess :(

I haven't contacted Progressive yet. The truck has the technology package with the HUD, so the windshield is specific. It's a dime size chip. Not sure if they'll attempt a repair or replace the windshield.

FL has no deductible for windshield claims. We'll see how this goes.

Users who are viewing this thread