5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are our windshields prone to damage?

Nicksta43

Reaction score
Less then a week into ownership and under 800 miles I got a nice nickel sized bullseye with a couple inch long crack off of it.

Just wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem or was I just super unlucky.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you are the 2nd person I’ve heard of that had a windshield problem

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, it's just the nature of trucks with huge windshields. Before the Ram, I drove Nissan Titans for 15 years. My first one I went through 4 windshields and the second I went through 2. So I always keep comprehensive deductible at zero on my trucks so I can get "free" windshields :p

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, it's just the nature of trucks with huge windshields. Before the Ram, I drove Nissan Titans for 15 years. My first one I went through 4 windshields and the second I went through 2. So I always keep comprehensive deductible at zero on my trucks so I can get "free" windshields :p

Yea, I always been pretty lucky with windshields until I had a Titan, couldn't keep the rocks off it. On my second Ram and both have taken a couple good rock hits without damage.

mrbullred

Reaction score
While replacing my second one on my Longhorn another fella was there getting his second one installed. Mine was months apart and he only had his truck for two months at the time.... They're either weak or just the aerodynamics of the vehicle make it prone to rocks hitting the windshield.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Nicksta43

Reaction score
Any issues getting factory glass put in? I know it's a little thing but I'd hate to lose that little ram logo in the passenger corner.

Gs72174

Reaction score
Just got a rock chip. Thinking it can be repaired without replacing windshield. I’ve had multiple trucks and have never had a damaged windshield.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a rock chip. Thinking it can be repaired without replacing windshield. I’ve had multiple trucks and have never had a damaged windshield.
You must be really lucky or have low mileage! I've had trucks all my life and they're rock magnets. I have over a million miles in truck seats and I'd guess probably 10 windshields in that time. I have noticed the problem getting worse as the trucks got bigger - my earliest GMC S15s/Chevy S10s never had a busted windshield. First Nissan hardbody didn't get one either. After that it was all downhill!

It's a little worse where I live because we have a decent amount of rock quarries and they never clean off the trucks before they hit the highway; some of them don't even tarp even though they're supposed to by law. So there's always pieces of granite gravel lying on the roads. I try to stay far enough back from everyone that it doesn't become an issue but impossible to do on the interstate. My Ram has already taken one direct hit, which chipped but didn't break the windshield. Unfortunately, I scratched the windshield worse trying to use a Scotch-brite to clean the debris out of the chip, which was mud-colored. So don't use a Green Scotch-brite on these windshields, they will scratch! I think a good glass guy can buff these scratches out, so I'm going to try that before going the windshield route.

Jako

Reaction score
Off topic, just an FYI
Scotch-Brite pads come in different grits and colors, green is pretty aggressive. Can't recall reading it but scotch-brite pads can be more aggressive than steel wool to a finish depending on grade. I believe it was a woodworking magazine.

Gs72174

Reaction score
You must be really lucky or have low mileage! I've had trucks all my life and they're rock magnets. I have over a million miles in truck seats and I'd guess probably 10 windshields in that time. I have noticed the problem getting worse as the trucks got bigger - my earliest GMC...

I guess I’m lucky. I’ve put on an average of 20,000-35000 miles a year on my vehicles and the last time I got a chipped or cracked windshield was over 10-15 years ago.

Now if only I was lucky enough to not get my front bumpers all chipped up. That’s a different story.

Jako

Reaction score
Vehicles: 1994, 2001, 2006, 2017, 2019 all hits on windshield to different degrees. My brother lives in NJ and said only 1 insurance company will cover windshields. Ram took the hit on Rt 75 in Georgia at about 65 mph, OUCH.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Mine got a rock chip the first month i had it. Safelite did a repair, but its still noticable. Put up a dashcam to cover the spot so it doesn't drive me crazy anymore

ldoh

Reaction score
As we would expect, a larger frontal surface area increases the chance of windshield damage along with how much traffic on the road. We tend to have multi lane freeways and lots of growth and new development in our territory so lots of semis carrying rocks or heavy off road equipment.

I regularly fix our vehicle window chips with packaged kits from the local auto part store. I've owned the 2019 Ram almost a year and already fixed 4 or 5 windshield rock chips to date with good results. I don't self-fix cracked windshields though. The kits are about $14 locally but Amazon probably has cheaper options.

ldoh

Reaction score
I've heard about windshield coating protectants but am a bit skeptical. Maybe someone has tried them and would like to share their results?

Nicksta43

Reaction score
I was just thinking back today. I've been driving for 26 years. Owned well over 30 different cars and trucks, lived in Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Florida and I've never gotten a rock chip until this one. I've had rocks bounce off windshields plenty of times but they have never damaged one. Maybe I've just been super lucky.

Jako

Reaction score
I was just thinking back today. I've been driving for 26 years. Owned well over 30 different cars and trucks, lived in Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Florida and I've never gotten a rock chip until this one. I've had rocks bounce off windshields plenty of times but they have never damaged one. Maybe I've just been super lucky.
My advice is to play lotto and stay inside if there is lightning. I'm on the other side of that coin. I've been driving 48 years and the last 26 hasn't been good to my windshields. I think me and the wife are 50/50 on the windshields.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same....

QUOTE="Gs72174, post: 280231, member: 19268"]
[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online