5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are our tailgates sturdy enough to support ramps, for loading ATVs?

Raydar

Reaction score
You all know the ramps... Those aluminum things that are sold online or at Harbor Freight. They are hung on the edge of the open tailgate and the ATV is driven up into the bed.
Are our tailgates strong enough to support those ramps without bending or folding in half? (Our ATV is an old Honda 300 Fourtrax, but I expect a lot of people would have larger ones.)
And no... I haven't even measured to see if it will fit in the bed. I haven't gotten that far along. But I expect it would.
Thanks!

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I have a big bear 300 and although I haven’t loaded it in my ram yet, i have no concerns. I will be using the same loading technique.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
You all know the ramps... Those aluminum things that are sold online or at Harbor Freight. They are hung on the edge of the open tailgate and the ATV is driven up into the bed.
Are our tailgates strong enough to support those ramps without bending or folding in half? (Our ATV is an old Honda 300 Fourtrax, but I expect a lot of people would have larger ones.)
And no... I haven't even measured to see if it will fit in the bed. I haven't gotten that far along. But I expect it would.
Thanks!

I'll let you know in a week or so, when I pick up my #ALLBLACKARCTICCAT from storage, that matches my truck. I don't foresee a problem.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Good job Rick. I like that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdhays63

Reaction score
I’ve loaded and unloaded a couple of pallets that were at least 500 lbs. I unloaded them using a ramp made from 2x8 boards and a hand truck. The tailgate supported the pallet and my weight as I wrestled that pallet and hand truck onto the ramp. The tailgate held fine, no indication of weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddharris

Reaction score
I used those same tailgate supports on my Titan with many loads and offloads of my motorcycles. No issues and great piece of mind. Get them !

Users who are viewing this thread