5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Car Play - Truck Speed - Waze Question

luckydog125

Reaction score
So I have an odd question that I hope someone can help me understand. I put larger tires on my new 2021 RAM 1500. I have not had a chance yet to calibrate the speedometer so I know that I am going faster than the speedometer indicates. I was using Waze and a "Speedometer" app on my iPhone and I see a difference of about 4-5mph. No problem - I expected that. What is odd and confusing me is when I am plugged in to Apple Play using a cord, Waze and the seperate Speedo app are showing the same speed that the truck shows. When I unplug from Apple Play, it shows the 4-5mph difference. How is this possible? When plugged in, am I not on GPS and the Apple Car Play is somehow tied to the speedometer? I found this to be very odd!

Techna

Reaction score
“They don’t think it be like this, but it do.”

:)

The truck changed Waze rather than Waze changing the truck. I eventually recalibrated.

Last edited:

Tmsmedic

Reaction score
For factory CarPlay systems, Waze's speedo is synchronized to the vehicle's speedometer. I realized this a few years back when Waze in CarPlay Ford Sync was 10 mph over what was displayed. Contacted Waze and they told me it was because Sync was sending an error through CarPlay displaying the wrong speed.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea if the 'roid does this?
You'd think if the truck can override the speed signal from a GPS on an external device that they could at least let Waze adjust the speed limit displayed on the HUD.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and recalibrate the speedo... problem solved. My OCD was gonna drive me nuts not seeing my true speed displayed on the speedo. I did it through my dealer who also gave me a nice discount at $130 for the whole shebang... including updating my VIN.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of Waze and Carplay...anyone else have issues with it the first time you try to use it? I have to close the app and restart it to get it to work properly. Not sure if a Waze issue or Apple IOS issue.

Reaction score
Speaking of Waze and Carplay...anyone else have issues with it the first time you try to use it? I have to close the app and restart it to get it to work properly. Not sure if a Waze issue or Apple IOS issue.
The last couple of updates I have had this issue. I just do it automatically now. Does it on my Harley, too.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last couple of updates I have had this issue. I just do it automatically now. Does it on my Harley, too.

I guess at least we know it is not a Ram issue. Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread