5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Car Play not working after 2021 Ram Software Update

mcampbell627

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday, I got a prompt on the 12" screen to update software. After that, I have been having issues with connecting my iPhone through the USB and recognizing the phone. Sometimes it will connect and oscillate between charging and not, but won't recognize phone and launch CarPlay. Other times, it doesn't recognize it at all. I've tried hard rebooting, restarting phone, different phone, different USP, unpairing and re-pairing the phone. This morning, it reconnected and I was able to use CarPlay for an hour, but when I came back to my truck to return home, it wasn't working again. I've tried to see if there is a way to re-push the software update to see if that is the issue, but nothing obvious. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

mcampbell627

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday, I got a prompt on the 12" screen to update software. After that, I have been having issues with connecting my iPhone through the USB and recognizing the phone. Sometimes it will connect and oscillate between charging and not, but won't recognize phone and launch CarPlay. Other times, it doesn't recognize it at all. I've tried hard rebooting, restarting phone, different phone, different USP, unpairing and re-pairing the phone. This morning, it reconnected and I was able to use CarPlay for an hour, but when I came back to my truck to return home, it wasn't working again. I've tried to see if there is a way to re-push the software update to see if that is the issue, but nothing obvious. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Sorry. To be clear, the truck is a 2021. The update was Sep 30 2023.

DennisY

Reaction score
Is your iPhone on the latest IOS? I believe I've read of several CarPlay bug fixes in the past year. I'm on IOS 16.7 and not having any issues.

brandomc

Reaction score
For what it's worth... I got the new iPhone 15 Pro and had connectivity issues with CarPlay in my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. I'm connecting USB-C to USB-C, and it would connect sometimes and not connect sometimes. I read in an Apple form that another Ram owner was having the same issue. He stated to go logo up (on the cable) when plugging into the car and logo up plugging into the phone. Since trying this, my iPhone has connected to CarPlay flawlessly. "Polarity" shouldn't matter when plugging in a USB cable, but for some reason, it does.

Users who are viewing this thread