5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone with Flowmaster Outlaw Direct fit with rear/all resonators removed?

rob989_69

Reaction score
Anyone out there have the Outlaw direct fit muffler replacement with resonators removed that would be willing to post some audio clips? I'm most interested in drone while highway driving. I hate the raspy sound from the resonators. I also feel like they're stealing some of the sound that the muffler gives. I've found clips online with straight pipes and such but having a hard time finding any with in cab highway driving.

19TXLimited

Reaction score
Asiancarfooddude has in cab driving with muffler delete. I'm not sure whether it is just due to the speakers in my truck or if he is picking up something other than drone, but it sounds like it drones terribly. Of course, videos/sound clips don't do much for exhaust. Another problem that most in car videos have is that they are during city driving or on the highway on what seems to be a downhill slope. Here in Houston there are several areas along I10 that the truck is on the cusp of switching back to V8 from 4CYL. I don't feel any of the videos capture the sound or drone that would be present when at that throttle position.

I'm trying myself to hear several in person before deciding to go with a custom setup. I'd like to remove the rear-most resonators on my truck as well to avoid any "airy"/"woosh" sounds.

One thing to note is that you should be able to use a JPipe/Helmholtz resonator to combat all or the majority of the drone. Plenty of videos on youtube explaining them and even formulas to calculate length. Of course the best way to rid the drone is to get a frequency meter and eliminate the exact wavelength the drone is producing...if the meter wasn't so expensive I'd buy one and then figure out the exact length of resonator needed.

Users who are viewing this thread