5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone With E-torgue Kept It OFF Since Day One (or Maybe Day Two?! lol)

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Hey y'all! Even tho that dealer ordered me a loaded Big Horn, started looking at Laramie's that come out comparable or cheaper with a couple of additional options you can't equip a Big Horn with...

Its pretty dang near impossible to find an Ivory Tri-color with Sport Appearance 2 Wheel Drive equipped with 3.92 gears. Finally found one BUT On this one particular Laramie it also has an e-torgue which didn't impress me much when i drove it.

I know you can shut it off, and with the deal i'm being offered its not really costing any add'l, so i'm wondering if any owners "shut the system off after first few days and never looked back?!" Any issue with doing that?! Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Even tho that dealer ordered me a loaded Big Horn, started looking at Laramie's that come out comparable or cheaper with a couple of additional options you can't equip a Big Horn with...

Its pretty dang near impossible to find an Ivory Tri-color with Sport Appearance 2 Wheel Drive equipped with 3.92 gears. Finally found one BUT On this one particular Laramie it also has an e-torgue which didn't impress me much when i drove it.

I know you can shut it off, and with the deal i'm being offered its not really costing any add'l, so i'm wondering if any owners "shut the system off after first few days and never looked back?!" Any issue with doing that?! Thanks!
You can’t “shut eTorque off”. You can disable stop/start each time you hop in the truck, but that doesn’t turn off an integral part of your drivetrain.

(Personally, I never disable stop/start, or MDS, for that matter. I like having the systems work as designed.)

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve disabled start stop 2 or so times. Only cause it got annoyed on a few crawling traffic jams I was in. You do learn to play the “game” of creeping to avoid it. Other then that I enjoy the figures. It’s nice to have the engine shut down for those 5plus minute stop lights imo.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've kept my etourque start/stop engaged since day 1. For me, it's nice on my MPG to have that 20 sec shutdown when at two-way stops or an even longer shutdown at the long lights. I have also found it useful dropping my wife or daughter off to run into stores and just keeping it in drive, with brake engaged, to allow for continued enjoyment in the a/c and electronics without running fuel. I guess it depends on the type of situation you drive in. I never have the typical stop and go commutes on the freeways so I have to take the word of those that it is annoying and may actually be a fuel burner rather than a saver.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have only turned mine off a few times, maybe will be doing it more in the summer as the truck will shut off only turn back on 1 second later to keep the AC going on a hot day. But really I wouldn't buy a truck with Etorque if you are only going to turn it off all the time. Their are a lot of extra parts that go into the system and their is no reason to have them if your not going to use it.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
As stated you can't turn off eTorque. You can disable start/stop, which in my opinion is barely noticeable. For me I have only turned it off when stuck in massive traffic jams where I drive a few feet, stop, drive again for few more feet, repeat. I don't understand why someone would prefer the vehicle run while at a stop light burning fuel to go nowhere. I prefer to save the fuel, and reduce my fuel costs. Some other vehicles like our minvan that start stop is not as refined and can be annoying with how harshly it engages, but the Ram implementation with eTorque is very smooth.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
...... But really I wouldn't buy a truck with Etorque if you are only going to turn it off all the time. Their are a lot of extra parts that go into the system and their is no reason to have them if your not going to use it.

All great points : )

The only reason i would even consider buying a truck with an engine that i REALLY don't want after weighing all the pros & cons, is because it is the only (and i'm talkin' 50 states ONLY") ivory truck 4x2 with Level 1 Group equipped with an 8.4 Nav, NOT a 12 inch.

I have tried as hard as i might by repeated looking at trucks equipped with the 12 inch & futzing around with it , but for me, no matter HOW i slice it, that huge honking "portrait orientation implementation" of their screen is succccch a distraction and wayyyy too busy for this "simple gal's taste".....

Soooooo if it comes down to "getting a truck with a radio i'll hate & never get used to" or an engine that "might offer some benefits even if i won't use some of its features", i think i'd opt for the engine....

It ALSO has a sunroof i will n-e-v-e-r open, because UNTIL they make a setting that will, "automatically close it" when you shut the engine, i will n-e-v-e-r take the chance that i will remember to close it on my own every time i open it, & a blind spot monitor i will keep OFF as well, because the split second timing i need to remember every time if yellow arrow means okay or not okay to merge, & then once i process THAT, i'm so busy observing it & observing oncoming vehicles on the side, i begin to hit the accelerator HARD so i can merge & then sometimes neglect to check the vehicles ahead of me slowing down.... Yikes!!! (yes, i'm a mess....lol)

For sure i'm not ur average truck buyer, RAM owner, or driver, but one thing is for certain, this new technology was definitely NOT designed with me in mind, but i just can't find any new Yugo's out there...lol Seriously tho, i had a Genesis G80 for a few months (hated how small it was) but oh how i loved having blind spot & all other tech right there in the HEADS UP display...) Now THAT is something i fully used, i turned every single setting ON and had ever drop of info right there , it was awesome : )

again, thanks for the replies : )

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All great points : )

The only reason i would even consider buying a truck with an engine that i REALLY don't want after weighing all the pros & cons, is because it is the only (and i'm talkin' 50 states ONLY") ivory truck 4x2 with Level 1 Group equipped with an 8.4 Nav, NOT a 12 inch.

I have tried as hard as i might by repeated looking at trucks equipped with the 12 inch & futzing around with it , but for me, no matter HOW i slice it, that huge honking "portrait orientation implementation" of their screen is succccch a distraction and wayyyy too busy for this "simple gal's taste".....

Soooooo if it comes down to "getting a truck with a radio i'll hate & never get used to" or an engine that "might offer some benefits even if i won't use some of its features", i think i'd opt for the engine....

It ALSO has a sunroof i will n-e-v-e-r open, because UNTIL they make a setting that will, "automatically close it" when you shut the engine, i will n-e-v-e-r take the chance that i will remember to close it on my own every time i open it, & a blind spot monitor i will keep OFF as well, because the split second timing i need to remember every time if yellow arrow means okay or not okay to merge, & then once i process THAT, i'm so busy observing it & observing oncoming vehicles on the side, i begin to hit the accelerator HARD so i can merge & then sometimes neglect to check the vehicles ahead of me slowing down.... Yikes!!! (yes, i'm a mess....lol)

For sure i'm not ur average truck buyer, RAM owner, or driver, but one thing is for certain, this new technology was definitely NOT designed with me in mind, but i just can't find any new Yugo's out there...lol Seriously tho, i had a Genesis G80 for a few months (hated how small it was) but oh how i loved having blind spot & all other tech right there in the HEADS UP display...) Now THAT is something i fully used, i turned every single setting ON and had ever drop of info right there , it was awesome : )

again, thanks for the replies : )

Best thing would be to order the exact truck you want. I ordered mine and it came in less then 4 weeks.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Best thing would be to order the exact truck you want. I ordered mine and it came in less then 4 weeks.

Tried that : (
As of May 15, according to the dealer, no orders will process or configure with an 8.4 radio w/ Nav. I even had him reach out to Dealer Rep and was told they couldn't equip it that way anymore : ( : ( : (

i actually DO have a Big Horn w/ black appearance on order, the dealer (a different dealer : ) ordered it for me with zero deposit just 3 weeks ago and its almost in :):::quick like you said : ) but AFTER i ordered that with blind spot, LED's & 8.4 Nav, i realized i could have all of that plus a handful of other options / features (Leather/proximity key/remote tailgate/fender flares/rear reclining seats/memory seats ETC) for approx only $750 more, PLUS it books out almost 3 grand higher for resale....

But, like i said, the dealer just couldn't get any Laramie to configure with an 8.4 display w/ NAV : (

runamuck

Reaction score
I dont know why he would tell you that. I priced a 2500 and a 1500 on the mfr. website yesterday that had the 8.4 with nav.

tul9033

Reaction score
I was dead set on eTorque, but after some thought and reading posts I think I am going with the standard engine. I fear OK summers will keep the engine starting to run the AC and negate some of the benefits. Plus the thought of replacing the battery pack and other possible failures after warranty wipe away the potential benefits.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I was dead set on eTorque, but after some thought and reading posts I think I am going with the standard engine. I fear OK summers will keep the engine starting to run the AC and negate some of the benefits. Plus the thought of replacing the battery pack and other possible failures after warranty wipe away the potential benefits.

The AC does cause it to kick on sooner, so if you are like my wife with the AC blasting at 60 degrees anytime the temperature gets above 70 then you won't see that much of benefit. In the mornings I roll down the windows on the way to work and keep the AC off. Leaving work the AC is on

Users who are viewing this thread