5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone with a non-nav system and other options...

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
I've seen threads on here about swapping out the radios and all that, but has anyone looked into just getting an aftermarket auto start system put in to control from your phone? Not talking about replacing the stereo but just getting a unit put in so we can start, unlock and all that fun stuff through our phones? Thanks for any info!

KLodge74

Reaction score
I've looked into it and they are a few out there. But the one thing you have to remember is if you want to start and all from your phone you will have a monthly fee connected to it. Due to most of them having some type of wireless connection to them. The shop near me dose them starting around 450. Plus the monthly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Btdpi007

Reaction score
I've looked into it and they are a few out there. But the one thing you have to remember is if you want to start and all from your phone you will have a monthly fee connected to it. Due to most of them having some type of wireless connection to them. The shop near me dose them starting around 450. Plus the monthly.

Which options have you found? Viper and Compustar don't have any options for the 2019 Ram on their respective sites. I called a local installer which installs Directed Electronics, and they said they have no options for 2019 Ram until firmware is updated or new products are released. Obviously I can wait, but I really miss the iPhone app remote start I left behind when I upgraded to the 2019 Ram from my Chevy.

I find it strange Ram doesn't install this on all their trims. This is a recurring revenue source (i.e .subscription if you will) for them. While the phone app remote start was covered in my Chevy for 5 years, I gladly paid the $20/month for unlimited wifi and I am certain others found value in the Onstar options (I did not aside from the 'basic' remote start and vehicle diagnostics). Strange a brand new $50K+ truck doesn't have the same options I had on a 2012 sedan we had in the past. Aside from the 'connectivity' things, I LOVE this truck.

KLodge74

Reaction score
Which options have you found? Viper and Compustar don't have any options for the 2019 Ram on their respective sites. I called a local installer which installs Directed Electronics, and they said they have no options for 2019 Ram until firmware is updated or new products are released. Obviously I can wait, but I really miss the iPhone app remote start I left behind when I upgraded to the 2019 Ram from my Chevy.

I find it strange Ram doesn't install this on all their trims. This is a recurring revenue source (i.e .subscription if you will) for them. While the phone app remote start was covered in my Chevy for 5 years, I gladly paid the $20/month for unlimited wifi and I am certain others found value in the Onstar options (I did not aside from the 'basic' remote start and vehicle diagnostics). Strange a brand new $50K+ truck doesn't have the same options I had on a 2012 sedan we had in the past. Aside from the 'connectivity' things, I LOVE this truck.
I agree it is nuts that it is not just standard these days. But it was a compustar unit they quoted me. They said they have installed it on a few already.

Btdpi007

Reaction score
I agree it is nuts that it is not just standard these days. But it was a compustar unit they quoted me. They said they have installed it on a few already.

Out of curiosity, sounds like you decided to not get the Compustar... if my assumption is correct is there a reason? Didn't like the recurring costs/subscription model? The features weren't great? Something else?

KLodge74

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, sounds like you decided to not get the Compustar... if my assumption is correct is there a reason? Didn't like the recurring costs/subscription model? The features weren't great? Something else?
Nope I didn't want the extra cost and didn't need all the other options. I just want a basic remote start where I can use the factory fob.

Users who are viewing this thread