5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone who has done a muffler delete and left resonators, how do you like it?

mac1983620

Reaction score
I'm really looking at doing this. The videos I've seen look like it sounds better than the aftermarket mufflers. My main concerns are crackling/raspy sound, and loss of power. Any suggestions or opinions?

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really looking at doing this. The videos I've seen look like it sounds better than the aftermarket mufflers. My main concerns are crackling/raspy sound, and loss of power. Any suggestions or opinions?
I deleted my muffler last week and left the resonators. Sounds great. No drone. I haven’t noticed any raspy sound. The local muffler shop only charged $80. They said if I didn’t like it, they’d weld a MagnaFlow on and just charge me for the muffler cost. I’m glad I went with their recommendation. I love it so far.

mac1983620

Reaction score
I deleted my muffler last week and left the resonators. Sounds great. No drone. I haven’t noticed any raspy sound. The local muffler shop only charged $80. They said if I didn’t like it, they’d weld a MagnaFlow on and just charge me for the muffler cost. I’m glad I went with their recommendation. I love it so far.
So it's not overly loud? Have you noticed any power changes? I put a 14" Magnaflow on a 2014 Hemi and feel like it never had the low end power it did before.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it's not overly loud? Have you noticed any power changes? I put a 14" Magnaflow on a 2014 Hemi and feel like it never had the low end power it did before.
I haven’t noticed any impact on power, positive or negative. It’s not overly loud. It’s fairly quiet at idle but you hear it when you have a heavy foot. I had a MagnaFlow on my last truck, Titan Pro4x, and I think loudness is comparable between the two.

mac1983620

Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any impact on power, positive or negative. It’s not overly loud. It’s fairly quiet at idle but you hear it when you have a heavy foot. I had a MagnaFlow on my last truck, Titan Pro4x, and I think loudness is comparable between the two.
Yeah I know it's pretty much the cheapest way to go, but from the videos I've seen it looks like it sounds good. Just hoping it won't be too loud, or raspy lol. Definitely want a powerful sound, but clean.

Genxeration

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The good thing about it, you can give it a go for little $$$. Take it around the block and test it out. If you don't like it, it's super easy to add the muffler afterwards. Good luck!

ErraticRebel

Reaction score
Mine had already had mufflers deleted by the short lived previous owner. Cant speak to power loss.

It sounds amazing under load. But at 55 or when it's at about 1400 rpm cruising it drones like a mofo.

R4M

Reaction score
I thought about removing the muffler, but I think it may be illegal in some places to not have a muffler but I’m sure it may also be illegal to modify the exhaust at all.

That being said, I kept everything stock other than replacing only the muffler with a 14inch magnaflow. It reminds me of how the Nissan titans sound from the factory; not too loud but now I can at least hear the exhaust with normal driving. Under a bridge under WOT it sounds very good.

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Deleted mine for only one day and it was terrible to me at idle it had this nasty exhaust leaky sound my buddy that owns a muffler shop done it for me and when I called to tell him about how I didnt like it already knew. Lol he said ya I was afraid it would have that sound said all the one's he has deleted have done that. I ended up installing a stock hellcat takeoff muffler he had laying around the shop sounds pretty sweet.

Huck

Reaction score
Do you have a part number for that Hellcat take off Muffler

mac1983620

Reaction score
Deleted mine for only one day and it was terrible to me at idle it had this nasty exhaust leaky sound my buddy that owns a muffler shop done it for me and when I called to tell him about how I didnt like it already knew. Lol he said ya I was afraid it would have that sound said all the one's he has deleted have done that. I ended up installing a stock hellcat takeoff muffler he had laying around the shop sounds pretty sweet.
got mine back today, and same exact problem. I think it's the resonators. I'm currently seeking more advice on it, and will most likely delete the resonators also.

mac1983620

Reaction score
but I did not do a delete, did a flowmaster

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Magna-Flo I put on an old Raptor I had seemed pretty quiet at first, but after 2 months, sounded really nice.

2020RamSport

Reaction score
put 6 inch exhaust and see how well that works out for you

An exhaust that's too large can be just as bad as one that's too small. A properly tuned system will help scavenge the exhaust gasses in the most efficient manner possible.

From a Road & Track article: "Basically, when people claim that a certain amount of backpressure is beneficial, they're mixing up backpressure and scavenging. The latter is a phenomenon where the movement of gases through the exhaust system creates a partial vacuum that can actually suck the exhaust out of the cylinder. A properly-designed exhaust system maximizes this effect across a wide RPM range, efficiently evacuating spent exhaust gases using a precisely tuned and shaped exhaust system."

RC51

Reaction score
I did an exhaust delete with a muffler that was rated by manufacture a 7 out of 10 for noise. Other options was complete exhaust delete 9/10 for loudness and one that was 5/10 for loudness.
Compared to my full cat back MagnaFlow on my 2018 the startup is much better with MagnaFlow. The delete is quieter on startup but acceleration is raspier than MagnaFlow. The sound from MagnaFlow was under front of the truck to the back but muffler delete sound is from back of the truck (resonators). 2500 rpm is boomer than MagnaFlow. As long as it doesn’t get louder on drone as truck only has 800 km. I also Volant CAI on both trucks

niftyguy239

Reaction score
If you kept the resos, easiest fix is a bit of high temp silicon on the weep holes (4 per can) and viola. Exhaust leak noise fixed. I put on a $40 Thrush Welded Performance muffler and plugged the weep holes with high temp silicon. My systems sound is identical to everyone spending $$$ on high priced systems. I often get a lot of compliments about the exhaust now.

Users who are viewing this thread