5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using touch up paint?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I have the Delmonico Red pen and it works perfectly. You have 2 choices.

1) Follow the instructions on the pen. You dig out any impurities using the hard tip supplied. Then you add some paint from the paint end. Let it dry and then come back over the top with the supplied clear. It won't be perfect but it will hide the defect. It'll be a little rough around the edges.

2) Clean up the area really well and hit it with a cleaner/degreaser. Fill in with paint, let dry. Repeat until you have the chip built up where it's only slightly below surface. Then fill with clear and wipe smooth. Let dry. Come back later and clear again so that you are slighly above surface. You are wanting to build up a little mound that you can sand down. And I do mean little. Let dry for a couple days in the sun or just drive it around as normal. It'll cure. Come back and wet sand starting at maybe 600 grit and ending at 1500 or more. Then polish. You'll have completely restored the paint without a single trace of damage. Make sure to try to focus the wet sanding just on the new clear coat and only hit the original clear minimally to blend. The clear on these new cars is super thin. I've sanded thru it before in the past and had to have a section re-cleared to repair my mistake. Live and learn.

#1 I do for almost all minor dings.

#2 I save for something more substantial. I'd say once the ding is the size of a BB or bigger. I don't get these often and haven't had one this size on my current truck yet, thankfully. But I've done this method many times in the past and it always comes out looking perfect.

Scratches are entirely different. If you've gone down below the clearcoat with scratches, to the point you need paint touch up, this is going to do nothing more than cover up the metal / base coat. It'll still look pretty bad but it might take away enough of the scratch to not draw attention. Circular dings / nicks is where these pens really shine. Scratches, not so much. You can attempt #2 on a scratch if the paint isn't metallic. If it's metallic, which most of our paints are, it's really hard to get it looking good. The flakes don't line up and the line will be inconsistent. Usually will come out lighter or darker. Just depends on how close the paint pen matches up.

Metallic paints, in general, are very difficult to touch up once you go beyond a ding.

Oh, and one final note. There's absolutely nothing you can do with these pens that can't be undone. If you apply the paint and you don't like it, just use a little bit of paint cleaner/degreaser and wipe it right off and start over. You may have to polish a little afterwards as the chemical can haze the clearcoat a little.

Last edited:

RJS

Reaction score
I'll just add to the fine thoughts above ^^^, If you have small chips, use a pointed toothpick and a small amount of paint and fill the chip in a couple of steps. In many cases you can get away without the need for sanding and blending.

Bufo

Reaction score
When I bought my truck I got a package in the mail from Ram that included a touch up paint kit. Haven’t used it yet, but it was a nice thought.

shurik74

Reaction score
When I bought my truck I got a package in the mail from Ram that included a touch up paint kit. Haven’t used it yet, but it was a nice thought.
never heard of extra packages from RAM... Does everyone get it when buying new RAM?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the ram touch up pen and dr color chip. For my ivory tri coat the factory paint pen sucked with runny paint and was nowhere near a match. The dr color chip was much closer and easier to apply.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
It was supposed to be RAM that sent you the paint kit....at least I think that's where mine came from. Was part of some kind of welcome packet. Maybe they did away with it.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
It was supposed to be RAM that sent you the paint kit....at least I think that's where mine came from. Was part of some kind of welcome packet. Maybe they did away with it.
OK Maybe it on its way as I have only had the truck for 2 months.

RJS

Reaction score
OK Maybe it on its way as I have only had the truck for 2 months.
It could be a while as my 19 Laramie is 14 mo old and no paint kit yet.
Secondly, there was a previous poster that wasn't satisfied with the color match of the touch up paint. Just for the record, I bought the Mopar touch up paint for my 14 Brilliant White Sport and Delmonico Red 19 Laramie from the dealer and the match is excellent in both cases.

Bufo

Reaction score
never heard of extra packages from RAM... Does everyone get it when buying new RAM?
Not sure. It just came in the mail one day. Also came with some coupons for oil changes. But unfortunately I lost those.

Tony Boyd

Reaction score
I've used Dr.ColorChip touch-up paints on 3 or 4 different cars for small chips and it does a great job. I'll never use the "classic" enamel touch up paints again.

834k3r

Reaction score
I've used Dr.ColorChip touch-up paints on 3 or 4 different cars for small chips and it does a great job. I'll never use the "classic" enamel touch up paints again.
A couple weeks ago I had some pretty whippin' winds as I traveled. As I crested the top of a pass, the nost of the truck got blasted with grit, rocks (post spring melt), and trash; I grimaced as the truck was blasted for 30 seconds or so. Got home and saw the bumper covered with a peppering of chips.
Step 1: touch-up paint.
Step 2: PPF so it doesn't happen again.

For Step 1, I found and visited this thread, found not just Tony's recommendation but others for the Dr. ColorChip paints. I thought about getting a high-end paint, but the Dr. ColorChip product was $20 less so I ordered it--and I'm glad I did. For anyone unfamiliar with the product (like I was) it's a two-stage product. Paint the chips with the paint (stage 1) and then even out the paint with their leveler (stage 2), then hand buff with microfiber. Folks, I'm telling you: it looks flippin' fantastic.

So thanks to everyone on this thread that recommended the Dr. ColorChip product.

Now on to Step 2. :cool:

edit: spelling corrections.

Last edited:

834k3r

Reaction score
Not sure. It just came in the mail one day. Also came with some coupons for oil changes. But unfortunately I lost those.
I can personally second this experience. I bought my Ram in March 2021 and received a bottle of touch-up paint in the mail today. 3 months later seems a bit odd, but it is what it is.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just forgo the touch up. Once it gets chipped up, break out the Sawzall so you can actually fit decent sized tires on it then do a Home Depot run for the real paint kit.
71iO-LEsoGL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread