5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using a retractable cover?

natehawes

Reaction score
Looking at getting the Retrax One XR. I have a rhino liner spray in bed liner. Is that going to complicate the install at all? Also, how is it on water leakage?
I can’t see any possible reason the spray in bed liner would be an issue. I have the factory spray in liner and there was no issues I had during the install.

xo151

Reaction score
I can’t see any possible reason the spray in bed liner would be an issue. I have the factory spray in liner and there was no issues I had during the install.

Are there any specific holes we shouldn't cover up when spraying? Like the ones needed for the drain hoses?

natehawes

Reaction score
Are there any specific holes we shouldn't cover up when spraying? Like the ones needed for the drain hoses?
I just fed the drain hoses out the holes where the front tie down hooks are. I never really noticed before that there is a hole there, but I think I saw it on a YT video and it was super easy. The other option is to drill holes where the plastic caps are and feed the drains out there. Even with the spray in liner you would still be able to drill those holes. I honestly can't think of any other areas to be worried about. When I get back to my truck and look again to make sure I'm not missing anything.

mikeofokc

Reaction score
On my Avalanche I had the 3 piece hard covers you could stand on and remove all or just one. I wanted the ease of retractable so I got a $1800 manual retrax. The drain tube was put through a hole they either drilled or it had a knock out cover. The retrax mx works great but it takes up like 9" of space in my 5'4" bed, so I would have been better off with a hard 3 piece cover for about half the price. The fold ups black the back window and the rollups partially block it. Removable hard covers can be store in the bed or left at home or shop. Just my perspective.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my Avalanche I had the 3 piece hard covers you could stand on and remove all or just one. I wanted the ease of retractable so I got a $1800 manual retrax. The drain tube was put through a hole they either drilled or it had a knock out cover. The retrax mx works great but it takes up like 9" of space in my 5'4" bed, so I would have been better off with a hard 3 piece cover for about half the price. The fold ups black the back window and the rollups partially block it. Removable hard covers can be store in the bed or left at home or shop. Just my perspective.

Could you post a pic of the Retrax open on your bed so we can get a feel for how much it blocks the bed when open?

djwdjw

Reaction score
I've been on the fence on which cover will work for me and I think I have settled on the Peragon aluminum folding cover painted to match the ivory on my truck for a couple of reasons... hard locking, possibly some better heat control of stuff in the bed during summers being white vs black like everything else (to be confirmed but logically reasonable), and how easy it appears to be removed. The video with the guy stowing a bike sold me :). there are times I need the full bed length for powersports.

https://www.peragon.com/

https://vimeo.com/user19439892

Seems to be pretty well thought out.

xo151

Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the Retrax open on your bed so we can get a feel for how much it blocks the bed when open?
The Retrax canister is 11" x 11" so that's how much space you lose when it's fully open.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread