5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using a retractable cover?

kingkasc

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm ready to order a cover for my 5'7 bed. How do you like the retractable cover so far and what brand did you go with? I really like the cover usa brand but they're a bit pricey.. $1700. Thanks fellow Rammer's

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Retrax one and love it. Especially since I can open the tailgate with the cover still locked in place.

Avid6eek

Reaction score
I had a RetraxPro MX on my previous 2500 and am looking to get another one for my new 1500, but they aren't yet available for the rambox. The quality was second to none, though it was a little pricey - $1700.

kingkasc

Reaction score

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any benefit of the retractable over a rollup? I’m not sure if I like that you are losing all that room for the retractable box that goes inside the bed. Too bad no rambox verison yet that Yakima rebate is a good deal those looking for a cover.

natehawes

Reaction score
im going with retrax sister company Titan.. same exact thing but cheaper! $930
If you plan on getting the XR type cover that allows a trax rail system you really can’t beat the current promotion. I paid $1220 for the One XR (that included shipping). The promo for the Yakima bars plus all the required mounting parts would cost $550 to buy separate. I actually did price this out on backcountry.com to confirm the cost. So I look at it as if I paid $670 for the cover (1220 - 550).

If you don’t care about the above cover mounting system then another option might indeed be less expensive.

kingkasc

Reaction score
Oh
If you plan on getting the XR type cover that allows a trax rail system you really can’t beat the current promotion. I paid $1220 for the One XR (that included shipping). The promo for the Yakima bars plus all the required mounting parts would cost $550 to buy separate. I actually did price this out on backcountry.com to confirm the cost. So I look at it as if I paid $670 for the cover (1220 - 550).

If you don’t care about the above cover mounting system then another option might indeed be less expensive.
Oh nice! This is my service truck so hopefully the only thing I'll be mounting up too is a ladder Thank you!

kingkasc

Reaction score
Any benefit of the retractable over a rollup? I’m not sure if I like that you are losing all that room for the retractable box that goes inside the bed. Too bad no rambox verison yet that Yakima rebate is a good deal those looking for a cover.[/QUOTE
What I like a about the retractable Is that it's more theft proof than the folding or roll covers, with those you can cut a hole with a exacto knife and use a hook wire to pull the relief lever. With the retractable they are a lot harder to cut and they open by key!

kingkasc

Reaction score
Any benefit of the retractable over a rollup? I’m not sure if I like that you are losing all that room for the retractable box that goes inside the bed. Too bad no rambox verison yet that Yakima rebate is a good deal those looking for a cover.

What I like a about the retractable Is that it's more theft proof than the folding or roll covers, with those you can cut a hole with a exacto knife and use a hook wire to pull the relief lever. With the retractable they are a lot harder to cut and they open by key!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've been thinking about that for the MX4. I plan to install some aluminum L channel behind the cables so that you can't grab them with a coat hanger like this. You'd still be able to reach under the cable and pull it down to open, but no longer pull it back to open.

xo151

Reaction score

Would you mind listing where you got this price? I'm thinking of getting the One XR too.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Love my Retrax...it does take up a foot of space practically. I'm going to get the amp bed extender so if I need a little extra room I can flip that out.

Also just did a 2K mile trip with it hitting highway speeds of 90 with no issues with noise or water.

natehawes

Reaction score
Would you mind listing where you got this price? I'm thinking of getting the One XR too.
I got it from Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet.com

I've had it installed about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it! On my last truck (Silverado 2500) I had the Truxedo LoPro QT, but I wanted something a bit more secure this time.

I sent in the rebate form to get my Yakima bars last week. I'll report back to everyone when they come in and how they work.

xo151

Reaction score
D
I got it from Morrie at TonneauFactoryOutlet.com

I've had it installed about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it! On my last truck (Silverado 2500) I had the Truxedo LoPro QT, but I wanted something a bit more secure this time.

I sent in the rebate form to get my Yakima bars last week. I'll report back to everyone when they come in and how they work.
Thanks for the info. Did you think about getting the Pro XR? Any concerns between polycarbonate and aluminum for durability?

natehawes

Reaction score
D

Thanks for the info. Did you think about getting the Pro XR? Any concerns between polycarbonate and aluminum for durability?
The price difference made it so I didn't really consider the Pro. It does allow more weight to be on the cover (500 lbs vs 200 lbs i think) but that's not an issue for me. In regards to security I feel like the one I have would be tough to get into. Anyone determined enough could do it, but it would take a few minutes and some tools. Prob the same story with the Pro. Overall, just didn't want to pay that much more for something already pretty expensive.

cubsflfan

Reaction score
Ordered a Bakflip X2 today. Like being able to roll it with cargo and still being able to see out back window. Anyone know if it’ll work with the OEM bed utility rails? Thinking about ordering them.

xo151

Reaction score
The price difference made it so I didn't really consider the Pro. It does allow more weight to be on the cover (500 lbs vs 200 lbs i think) but that's not an issue for me. In regards to security I feel like the one I have would be tough to get into. Anyone determined enough could do it, but it would take a few minutes and some tools. Prob the same story with the Pro. Overall, just didn't want to pay that much more for something already pretty expensive.

I pulled the trigger and ordered from Morrie just now.

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Looking at getting the Retrax One XR. I have a rhino liner spray in bed liner. Is that going to complicate the install at all? Also, how is it on water leakage?

xo151

Reaction score
Looking at getting the Retrax One XR. I have a rhino liner spray in bed liner. Is that going to complicate the install at all? Also, how is it on water leakage?

I plan on installing over a Line-x spray in bedliner so I'm interested in this answer too. I'm pretty sure it can be done. Line-x sells a rebranded Retrax that can go with their bedliners.

Users who are viewing this thread