5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone tried the new BFG Trail-Terrain T/A?

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Time for my first set of new tires on the Ram. I'm 99 percent on road, but I do drive across a creek once a week, and spend some time on a farm where I need to drive on wet grass and light mud sometimes... so something with a little more grip that an all highway tire would be nice but I don't want road noise and poor handling.

So, anyone running the new Trail-Terrain? They look very moderate.

My other option looks like the MICHELIN LTX® A/T2

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't even know they existed until you mentioned them... what sizes do they run? Are they an LT tire?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing for 275/70 R18... looks like a SUV/Mid-Size Truck tire IMO

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they had larger than 285/45/22.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be the target audience... The marketing really has them pointed at Suv's and mid-size pickups. You want some big honkers you gotta go to the K02

Bob.

Reaction score
Time for my first set of new tires on the Ram. I'm 99 percent on road, but I do drive across a creek once a week, and spend some time on a farm where I need to drive on wet grass and light mud sometimes... so something with a little more grip that an all highway tire would be nice but I don't want road noise and poor handling.

So, anyone running the new Trail-Terrain? They look very moderate.

My other option looks like the MICHELIN LTX® A/T2
10 Years ago I had something like this, same name. So it was the first generation of these tires. I believe they dropped them in a few years. The set I had was not sniped so they were very poor in the ice. Before the 2nd winter, I ripped them off and went with KO2's These tires were so bad I couldn't back up a level driveway with a coating of snow on it. Flurries out, better lock it in 4X4. These where just garbage tires. Certainly not quality you would expect from BFGoodrich. Major let down.

Now yours look like they are sniped and they are rated for snow (with that symbol molded to the tire) so you should have excellent traction.

I've learned several years ago living in the snow belt. If I want good winter traction I have to look for the maple leaf symbol on the sidewall of the tires. These are rated for snow. M + S on the sidewall are NOT snow tires! Don't let anyone tell you different.

Last edited:

LVLAaron

Reaction score
Yep - These are "3 peak snow rated" Which is an actual certification/test/standard. Anyone can just put M&S on their tires. Many highway tires say M&S... I know the factory tires do.

Not much snow here... Maybe a couple days a year and I usually prefer to just stay home than go out with a bunch of rookie dopes on bald tires.

Bob.

Reaction score
Why do I always say "maple leaf"? I guess I think Canada.... But yes they have the 3 peak symbol for snow. At the very least steer for that symbol living in the snow belt.
I believe you must have that symbol in Canada at certain times of the year or they park your car and give you a fine. I've heard a few northern central or western states are the same. It's not just for your safety running these types of tires, it's for the safety of the other guy you crash into too.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
I wish more states would care about that. I used to have a fairly capable Jeep and on snow days I'd just drive around for fun... More than a few times I'd find people stuck somewhere and stop to help. I'd look at their tires and if they were bald or super poor condition I'd refuse to pull them out so they aren't out driving around.

Bob.

Reaction score
When you get these mounted give us a review on how they are. I'm curious on how wide the tread is and if they like to pick up every stone they ride over and toss them into the air or into your fenders.

I ran KO2's and they don't catch stones like other tires out there. Also they are excellent in snow, or ice. I hardly ran 4X4 with them. It was fun to drive home at 5am with 4X4 off, with 12" of snow tracks in the road to see If I can make it home. LOL
Other than the stiffer tire, they are the best tire I ever ran.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
I definitely will. I am the most picky person you'll ever meet when it comes to tires on my daily driver. I demand quiet and I demand smooth. I've always wanted K02's but never known anyone that has a pair and didn't want to take the risk on noise.

Bob.

Reaction score
I definitely will. I am the most picky person you'll ever meet when it comes to tires on my daily driver. I demand quiet and I demand smooth. I've always wanted K02's but never known anyone that has a pair and didn't want to take the risk on noise.
They are quiet. At least on my last truck they were. They are 8 or 10 ply tires so they are stiffer. You can lower the air pressure to help. Too bad BFGoodrich don't make a 4 ply version of them. They would ride so smooth down the highway.
maybe your tires are it??

LVLAaron

Reaction score
I really hope so.

I'm thinking about getting a set of "wet season" wheels and tires.. Probably get some 18" Rebel wheels and put K02's on those.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
22-01-03 10-55-39 6717.jpg

In and on. As always big shout-out to Discount Tire for being a professional pit crew.

10 mile ride home this morning in 20 degree weather (dry)

Comfortable. Very quiet. Not as quiet as the factory Nexen, but still very quiet. Probably can't find a quieter tire unless it's a strict summer highway tire. Tiny bit more noise going over expansion joints but overall very pleased. Balanced perfectly. I'll get them in the dirt/grass/water in the next week or two and report back.

But they look and ride great so far. Two thumbs up from me!

Bob.

Reaction score
They look nice. Possibly a more P rated version of LT KO2 tires. Let us know how they preform in snow when you get some.

LVLAaron

Reaction score
They look nice. Possibly a more P rated version of LT KO2 tires. Let us know how they preform in snow when you get some.

Supposed to get 3 inches thursday... fingers crossed

LVLAaron

Reaction score
We got some snow and two days completely below freezing. I didn't go out in the fresh snow because traffic was chaotic and I like my truck. But we had a super hard freeze (5f) over night so the roads were icy and still had a lot of snow. These tires are outstanding. I put it in 4 wheel auto and drove 15 miles stepping on the gas and brakes hoping to slide or break traction - no such event. These tires rock!

Users who are viewing this thread