5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone towing 7000+ with 5.7 e torque 3.92?

Jeremybj

Reaction score
Hello.

I am wondering if anyone has towing experience with a 5.7 with etorque and 3.92 gears pulling a camper (8000 pounds) any other mederate loads of 7000+ pounds. Any mpg report at specified speeds would be nice also.

Thanks for any help,
Jeremy

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few threads about this already...in this section, take a look, not that we don't like talking about how well the new Ram is towing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I missed the etorque part...not sure if we have info on that yet...someone will be along soon I am sure...this now interests me more...gonna take a look

Jeremybj

Reaction score
Yeah I saw it, not e torque though. He did say in the video they are gonna do an e torque as soon as they can get one. So hopefully soon.

skittle power

Reaction score
I just bought the 5.7 w/etorque and tow a 20x8.5 cargo trailer. The trail dry is 4600lb and I load it up with anything from 1500 lbs to 3500lbs It gets up off the line real easy with no hesitation at all. I have yet to calculate any kind of MPG yet.

secondfloor

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 5.7L w/e-Torque and 3.21, trailer tow & off road pkg. I am towing my 27' Airstream, which is around 7200 fully loaded. We full time RV travel, and have 6000 miles with this tow vehicle. My mpg is 13.5mpg@55mpg, 11.5mpg@65mph, all on flat ground. When I was traveling through Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado on more hilly terrain, I got closer to 10mpg@65mph. Unhitched, I get around 19-23.5mpg. I hope this helps. BTW, the truck has more than enough power towing 7k+lbs, as it seems the 8-speed plus the tow/haul mode makes the gear ration a non-issue. It is a real pleasure to drive both unhitched and hitched. I have the Limited pkg, and am using a BlueOx Pro for weight distribution and sway control. The whole rig tows great.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My mpg is 13.5mpg@55mpg, 11.5mpg@65mph, all on flat ground. When I was traveling through Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado on more hilly terrain, I got closer to 10mpg@65mph. Unhitched, I get around 19-23.5mpg. The whole rig tows great.
That’s not bad mileage with the 27’ airstream. From the direction of travel implied, you were in headwinds in the four flyover states.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 5.7L w/e-Torque and 3.21, trailer tow & off road pkg. I am towing my 27' Airstream, which is around 7200 fully loaded. We full time RV travel, and have 6000 miles with this tow vehicle. My mpg is 13.5mpg@55mpg, 11.5mpg@65mph, all on flat ground. When I was traveling through Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado on more hilly terrain, I got closer to 10mpg@65mph. Unhitched, I get around 19-23.5mpg. I hope this helps. BTW, the truck has more than enough power towing 7k+lbs, as it seems the 8-speed plus the tow/haul mode makes the gear ration a non-issue. It is a real pleasure to drive both unhitched and hitched. I have the Limited pkg, and am using a BlueOx Pro for weight distribution and sway control. The whole rig tows great.

It's good to hear that even with the 3.21:1 rear differential and you're towing 7,200 lbs you like the way it tows and say it has plenty of power. Which model/trim level do you have. How is your truck equipped (4x4, etc.)? What's the build date? How does the air conditioning perform? Thanks!

secondfloor

Reaction score
It's good to hear that even with the 3.21:1 rear differential and you're towing 7,200 lbs you like the way it tows and say it has plenty of power. Which model/trim level do you have. How is your truck equipped (4x4, etc.)? What's the build date? How does the air conditioning perform? Thanks!

It seems that a 3.21 with the 8-speed transmission and the tow-haul mode is quite capable. I have a Limited, 5'7" bed, 4x4 with the off-road package, panoramic sunroof. Build date is 7/18. Air conditioning is performing fine.

Laz

Reaction score
I've got a Laramie crew cab w 3.21 gears 5.7l hemi (no e-torque). I tow a 20x8.5ft enclosed trailer w 2 side by sides w ease as well as my 33ft travel trailer that's about 7300lbs dry and about 10,500 fully loaded....also tows w ease. Gas on the uphill is about 8-9mpg and anywhere from 10-15mpg on flat depending on wind direction.

Users who are viewing this thread