5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone thinking about adding 115 amp power outlet to the bed of the truck?

Bradleys

Reaction score
It does not have it and I do not see a punch blank for it - so I doubt MOPAR is going to offer a kit any time soon!

But I was wondering if anyone had taken this on or even just planned it out. Finding an aftermarket, automotive outlet shouldn't be a problem and then you just need to connect it to the Inverter.

I know the outlet comes stock in trucks with a Ram Box - but I would like it in my standard box.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought of it when I first got my truck, but after using the one that comes in my truck in the cabin I changed my mind. It seems like it took forever just to recharge a 12v lithium-ion DeWalt battery, even though I wasn't (or shouldn't have been) exceeding the outlet draw according to my drill specs. Originally I had planned I would use that outlet so I wouldn't ever have to bother bringing the drill inside, but it charged so slow I just ended up doing like I used to.

e55amg2

Reaction score
I thought of it when I first got my truck, but after using the one that comes in my truck in the cabin I changed my mind. It seems like it took forever just to recharge a 12v lithium-ion DeWalt battery, even though I wasn't (or shouldn't have been) exceeding the outlet draw according to my drill specs. Originally I had planned I would use that outlet so I wouldn't ever have to bother bringing the drill inside, but it charged so slow I just ended up doing like I used to.

My makita chargers seem to cycle on and off constantly. It's possible that it may have to do with needing pure sine wave...but it works just fine for the ac/dc converter for my cooler

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My makita chargers seem to cycle on and off constantly. It's possible that it may have to do with needing pure sine wave...but it works just fine for the ac/dc converter for my cooler
I think you're right.

Most small chargers for batteries are switching-type (transformerless) and don't like square wave inputs.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034688 miles.

Parkersama

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 Tradesman and would like to add the 115v power outlet to the instrument panel. Has any one done this yet that can give guidance? I found some part # but not all the mounting brackets yet.

Power Inverter Module - Mopar (68302053AE)​

Inverter Power Outlet - Mopar (68253394AA)​

Power Outlet Cap - Mopar (68467945AA)​

and I think this is the right panel.
Instrument Panel, Right
6QB50LC5AA
This is as much as I could fine out so far.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have a 2020 2500 Tradesman and would like to add the 115v power outlet to the instrument panel. Has any one done this yet that can give guidance? I found some part # but not all the mounting brackets yet.

Instrument Panel, Right
6QB50LC5AA
Your 2500 is going to be different than our 1500s. You ought to check out https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php

et_ram

Reaction score

Instrument Panel, Right
6QB50LC5AA

Did you ever get this done?
I have the super base model v6 Tradesman and I want a outlet in the bed and one outlet inside the cab.
Either a 1k or 2k pure sine wave.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the LEER 122 Cap installed at the LEER Factory Outlet in Milton PA on Monday.
I have an Inverter to mount in the Bed with switches and relays for better LED lights
and such. I will also mount PWM dimmer switches for the overhead LED lights and
a second one for two Noctura 140 mm Fans mounted to the windows for the times
I will be sleeping in the Bed.

I will also work on a switch panel mounted in the overhead Sunglasses Cubbie. There
will be 6 switches plus a 3 digit readout for the on-board air system.

The Switches are for:
1 - Fuel Xfer from an aux tank
2 - Front LED Light Bar
3 - Rear LED reverse lights
4 - Power to the bed and Inverter.
5 - Air Compressor - (Engine driven Sanden Conversion)
6 - Horn - Momentary (for my Nathan K5LA Train Horns)

There will also be an under dash switch between the stock horn
and the Nathan's with the steering button.

Malodave

et_ram

Reaction score
I got the LEER 122 Cap installed at the LEER Factory Outlet in Milton PA on Monday.
I have an Inverter to mount in the Bed with switches and relays for better LED lights
and such. I will also mount PWM dimmer switches for the overhead LED lights and
a second one for two Noctura 140 mm Fans mounted to the windows for the times
I will be sleeping in the Bed.

I will also work on a switch panel mounted in the overhead Sunglasses Cubbie. There
will be 6 switches plus a 3 digit readout for the on-board air system.

The Switches are for:
1 - Fuel Xfer from an aux tank
2 - Front LED Light Bar
3 - Rear LED reverse lights
4 - Power to the bed and Inverter.
5 - Air Compressor - (Engine driven Sanden Conversion)
6 - Horn - Momentary (for my Nathan K5LA Train Horns)

There will also be an under dash switch between the stock horn
and the Nathan's with the steering button.

Malodave
I'm thinking about mounting the inverter below my rear passenger seat them running a cable to an outlet mounted in the rear corner of the bed.
So I will have outlets under the rear passenger seat as well as in the bed.

Which inverter did you go with?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will have to get it out of the old truck to see what it is. If it is a
Modified Sine Wave Inverter than I will just get a Pure Sine Wave
model with more output too.

Malodave

laotudou

Reaction score
Did you ever get this done?
I have the super base model v6 Tradesman and I want a outlet in the bed and one outlet inside the cab.
Either a 1k or 2k pure sine wave.
Did you get it done? I want to add one outlet inside the cab too.

e55amg2

Reaction score
I think you're right.

Most small chargers for batteries are switching-type (transformerless) and don't like square wave inputs.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 034688 miles.
I came back to report what the actual issue is. On the dual rapid charger, the draw is 450W (the inverter inside can only do 400). The single battery rapid charger works fine. Would love to get some sort of inverter/2nd battery setup so I can have power in the bed.

Rileymk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about mounting the inverter below my rear passenger seat them running a cable to an outlet mounted in the rear corner of the bed.
So I will have outlets under the rear passenger seat as well as in the bed.

Which inverter did you go with?
Hey did you ever mount the inverter in the back seat then run wire to the rear coner of the bed?? I’m looking to do this too and wondering how that went!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online