5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone swap to newer rearview camera mirror?

Challa

Reaction score
Watching TRX vids on YouTube and noticed it had the rearview mirror camera, I’m assuming it’s on the 21 rams as well. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 8.5 nav/backup cam option. Has anyone installed the newer rearview camera Mirror? Could they just tap into reverse cam and have it always on on the rearview mirror? Possible plug and play kit out???

Edit by moderator: Removed spam link.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Watching TRX vids on YouTube and noticed it had the rearview mirror camera, I’m assuming it’s on the 21 rams as well. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 8.5 nav/backup cam option. Has anyone installed the newer rearview camera Mirror? Could they just tap into reverse cam and have it always on on the rearview mirror? Possible plug and play kit out???
https://showbox.bio/ https://tutuapp.uno/
Can't answer your question but I can say that the rearview mirror is showing the camera in the third brake light as opposed to the reverse cam in the tailgate. So if nothing else, you would have a different view than a stock setup on a 21, and not as good of a vantage point.

That being said, it might be possible to upgrade to that third brake light with the camera in it, but I'm not sure.

Highertechnology

Reaction score
There is a huge thread about this and it has been done. You’d need the mirror and the new 3rd brake light and a long cable to connect. Depending on your package it can be plug and play without OBD inputs. The thread has more info. I’ll try and find it. It’s around 8-900 all in.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For a 2021, its plug and play. For 2020 or 2019, It has not been done 100% successfully yet. The mirror will plug in, everything will hookup together nicely, but you'll lose auto-dim function. And then the camera may work, it may not; its wonky.

If you don't have auto-dim function to begin with, it may not even work at all, if I recall correctly. Its a lot of reading, I may have forgotten some of the things they tried.

One guy was going to buy the computer it all plugs into from a 2021, get it programmed to his VIN, and see if swapping that in allowed it all to work; but his truck was totaled (hail damage) before he did it. He sold all his stuff, not sure if that guy will pick up where he left off or not.

Rossi396

Reaction score
Geesh. Sorry and thank you. I saw the third brake light information and quit reading. Should have known they were linked together!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honestly, after buying a truck with the digital mirror I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble and cost of adding it. It's more of a novelty for me than something that's actually useful. The only time I would actually use it is if my rear window is blocked and I'm not able to use the conventional mirror. People who ride with me think it's cool though LOL. I'll list my pros and cons about it. These are my observations, your observations may differ.

Pros:
Allows better visibility when conventional mirror view is obstructed.
I'm not staring at rear passengers whenever I check the mirror.

Cons:
The resolution is decent, but nothing is as good as an actual mirror (full-definition).
Details are difficult to make out while driving.
Image in digital mirror appears a little further away than in conventional mirror.
Need to change focal point when moving my eyes from the road in front to the digital display (mirror).
Takes a while to get used to using it.
None of the truck is visible in the image so there is no point of reference.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, after buying a truck with the digital mirror I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble and cost of adding it. It's more of a novelty for me than something that's actually useful. The only time I would actually use it is if my rear window is blocked and I'm not able to use the conventional mirror. People who ride with me think it's cool though LOL. I'll list my pros and cons about it. These are my observations, your observations may differ.

Pros:
Allows better visibility when conventional mirror view is obstructed.
I'm not staring at rear passengers whenever I check the mirror.

Cons:
The resolution is decent, but nothing is as good as an actual mirror (full-definition).
Details are difficult to make out while driving.
Image in digital mirror appears a little further away than in conventional mirror.
Need to change focal point when moving my eyes from the road in front to the digital display (mirror).
Takes a while to get used to using it.
None of the truck is visible in the image so there is no point of reference.

I'll play devils advocate this time, I've actually really liked that feature and it has been in that mode since I got the truck. No issue with conventional mirrors that I've had in the past, but I find it nice to be able to see everything unobstructed at all times. I also glance at my side mirrors very frequently, and with the tow mirrors it gives me a good view of the sides of the truck to the back of the truck for point of reference. I didn't have any issue getting used to it (was surprised by this) and so far I haven't found it to be a distraction otherwise.

Will agree the definition could definitely be better and details can be difficult to make out, so could be better. Overall though I still much prefer it to the normal mode.

That being said would it be worth it to add it? I'm not sure, it was an easy call when ordering for what you got with the tech package, but I'm not sure I would want to spend the money and effort to add it otherwise.

Edit: Oh and also agree, anyone who rides in the truck thinks it's very cool!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that people do like it. The wife and I both agree that it wouldn't be worth adding, but we like the rest of the features that come with that package.

I find it interesting that you took to it right away. Just curious, do you wear prescription glasses or contacts Joe?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that people do like it. The wife and I both agree that it wouldn't be worth adding, but we like the rest of the features that come with that package.

I find it interesting that you took to it right away. Just curious, do you wear prescription glasses or contacts Joe?

Funny contrasts! Both my lady and I love it, she's had lasik and I'm fortunate enough to be on my stock eye balls currently. No glasses or contacts, however, maybe I'll try out my polarized ray bans and see how things look through those. Those are my back up pair of sunglasses that I rarely wear and haven't yet in this new truck.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The biggest problem I'm having with it is my eyes adjusting when I look at the mirror in camera mode. No issues when looking at it in normal rear view mirror mode but that camera does something with my old eyes and it takes a couple second to refocus on the camera image. And agree, it's a novelty that works but if I had a choice, I'd recommend going with blind spot monitoring over the rear digital brake light camera.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll add my two cents. My Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover blocks the rear window when folded open, so the digital mirror has already come in handy several times.

As to the detail. I feel it's a wider angle than the standard mirror, so better rear visibility. And when at a stop light, I could see what direction the motorcycle rider behind me's eyes were looking. I think that's pretty good resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread