5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone swap to newer rearview camera mirror?

Texas_Ram

Reaction score
Watching TRX vids on YouTube and noticed it had the rearview mirror camera, I’m assuming it’s on the 21 rams as well. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 8.5 nav/backup cam option. Has anyone installed the newer rearview camera Mirror? Could they just tap into reverse cam and have it always on on the rearview mirror? Possible plug and play kit out?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps I’m missing something but with the issues some folks are having with the 12” screen, rear tailgate cameras, other electrical issues, etc., (admittedly is is a small percentage of owners) why would you want to have a camera for your rear view mirror? It is a critical safety item like the outside mirrors...personally I will never buy one that has it even if it means switching brands.

No offense intended as I’m old and have always used my eyes and don’t understand the fascination of depending upon something like this. The tailgate camera is nice but I still turn my head to look as well.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a whole tread about it.

[/URL]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
404 error on that link.

Perhaps I’m missing something but with the issues some folks are having with the 12” screen, rear tailgate cameras, other electrical issues, etc., (admittedly is is a small percentage of owners) why would you want to have a camera for your rear view mirror? It is a critical safety item like the outside mirrors...personally I will never buy one that has it even if it means switching brands.

No offense intended as I’m old and have always used my eyes and don’t understand the fascination of depending upon something like this. The tailgate camera is nice but I still turn my head to look as well.
From what I understand you can use the mirror as either a camera or a normal mirror. Also, the rear view mirror is not as important as the side mirrors. You could honestly drive without one if your side mirrors are adjusted properly. It happens all the time if whatever you're hauling/towing blocks your rear view mirror. The side mirrors aren't as good as the other brands with the larger top mirror and a convex bottom mirror, but they still provide some view behind the truck.

Adonis_1111

Reaction score

It has a toggle switch that turns it into the standard rear-view mirror. It's a great feature if you have people/items in the back seat that obstruct your view or if you have a rigid tonneau cover that flips up blocking the rear window. My wife likes the traditional mirror when she drives, I prefer the screen as you can see all lanes of traffic without effort.

Users who are viewing this thread