5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone recognize this noise?

Hamco8520

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this noise by chance? In the videos, I am parked and slightly moving the steering left to right. I also hear it when hitting bumps or going over uneven roads. It seems to be on the passenger side front only.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize this noise by chance? In the videos, I am parked and slightly moving the steering left to right. I also hear it when hitting bumps or going over uneven roads. It seems to be on the passenger side front only.
No, have not heard that.
Upper or lower ball joint, inner or outer tie-rod ends.
Should not be the sway-bar/links.
That is loud enough that a friend with a stethoscope should be able to pinpoint it.

edit: lacking friends, a chassis microphone can come in handy...

Hamco8520

Reaction score
No, have not heard that.
Upper or lower ball joint, inner or outer tie-rod ends.
Should not be the sway-bar/links.
That is loud enough that a friend with a stethoscope should be able to pinpoint it.

edit: lacking friends, a chassis microphone can come in handy...
Thank you! I'll definitely check both over the weekend. Not sure how urgent I need to get this done, hasn't changed the feeling of the truck at all, it's just a noise at this moment.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll definitely check both over the weekend. Not sure how urgent I need to get this done, hasn't changed the feeling of the truck at all, it's just a noise at this moment.
Your rubber bushings are dry. Spray with a good rubber lube.
How old and how many miles?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I would spray all the bushings. For safety sake do check all your ball joints it could be one of them also.
Of course they don't put grease fittings on anything any more.

23RAM

Reaction score
I concur...sounds like a dry or worn bushing/fitting.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same exact thing. It was doing it before and I swapped the Motofab spacers with RC. Lifted struts and replaced the upper control arms with RC as well and the noise stopped. Fast forward 5 months and it’s back. I looked under the truck and nothing is obvious. Probably jack it up and dig into it this weekend because it’s driving me nuts to be riding around in a newer truck that sounds like an old horse n buggy

Hamco8520

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same exact thing. It was doing it before and I swapped the Motofab spacers with RC. Lifted struts and replaced the upper control arms with RC as well and the noise stopped. Fast forward 5 months and it’s back. I looked under the truck and nothing is obvious. Probably jack it up and dig into it this weekend because it’s driving me nuts to be riding around in a newer truck that sounds like an old horse n buggy
I park in a parking garage every morning and I sound like a rust bucket driving in lol... Time to spend some time over the weekend looking over it.

Hamco8520

Reaction score
I sprayed all the bushings and it's still making the noise. I was thinking it could be the steering link but there is no play in the steering or any vibration.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I checked mine out this weekend. I can’t see any play in the upper or lower ball joints, tie rod ends, A arm bushings, or sway bar links. It sounds like rubber being dragged against something making a squeaking sound, but I can’t seem to narrow it down. Might just bite the bullet and pay someone with a hoist to diagnose it.

Hamco8520

Reaction score
I checked mine out this weekend. I can’t see any play in the upper or lower ball joints, tie rod ends, A arm bushings, or sway bar links. It sounds like rubber being dragged against something making a squeaking sound, but I can’t seem to narrow it down. Might just bite the bullet and pay someone with a hoist to diagnose it.
Yeah, I'll keep looking until Thursday and if nothing, I'll drop it off at my local shop Thursday night. Don't want to create a bigger problem by ignoring it. Definitely sounds terrible though, and it's gotten louder in the past few weeks.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I just saw a new thread on here that may be related to your problem, not sure. Check out "Clunk no-more"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_085055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_085055_Chrome.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread