5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Line-X their Running Boards?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Not sure I'm stating that correctly. But I'm not a big fan of the stock power running boards that came with my truck. I personally don't think they look all that nice. I was wondering if anyone has done anything with them like coat them with Line-X or something like that to give it a different finish. I really wish mine didn't have them to begin with. I actually prefer the look of a nice pair of rugged running boards that are always visible. If I can't do anything to improve the look, I may see about removing them and selling them. Only had the truck a week. Anyone in the Northern Virginia area interested?

Hustleman216

Reaction score
You can’t swap them out with a different type of running board? I was considering doing so but hadn’t researched it yet

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I asked about this at some point too but never got any response. I don’t like how slick mine are when wet is why i asked though

Yellotsacul

Reaction score
I have line-x'd sets on my previous trucks but i don't think I've ever seen anyone do the power boards. I actually bought a set from go rhino for my 19 that were coated from the factory. They have a ton of foot space and I never have to worry about the kids slipping. You are probably better off taking your boards off and selling them and buying a set you really want. Someone would snatch those power steps up quick I bet.

Cazoey

Reaction score
I have been considering Line-X on my factory running boards or upgrading them to the power running boards. I have the standard chrome ones. Where in NOVA are you located? I'm in Gainesville. If you are interested in swapping yours out maybe we can work something out.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
@Cazoey I live in Manassas and have the power running boards. I'm not a big fan of the look of them, and like the original poster, I would almost prefer a nice rugged looking set. I still haven't heard if anyone has done anything to their stock power running boards to make them look better. I'm assuming Line-X would work? Are there any after market power running boards that look more rugged that I could simply swap out with the stock ones?

Anyways, I too may be interested in selling mine if I cannot do anything. However, I'm also concerned about what happens when you remove the power running boards? The Uconnect software is programmed with the setting for it, etc. Is it as simple as removing them and calling it a day, or do you also have to flash something to tell the truck you no longer have power running boards installed?

Chavez98

Reaction score
@Cazoey I live in Manassas and have the power running boards. I'm not a big fan of the look of them, and like the original poster, I would almost prefer a nice rugged looking set. I still haven't heard if anyone has done anything to their stock power running boards to make them look better. I'm assuming Line-X would work? Are there any after market power running boards that look more rugged that I could simply swap out with the stock ones?

Anyways, I too may be interested in selling mine if I cannot do anything. However, I'm also concerned about what happens when you remove the power running boards? The Uconnect software is programmed with the setting for it, etc. Is it as simple as removing them and calling it a day, or do you also have to flash something to tell the truck you no longer have power running boards installed?
You'll get an error code but it goes away after a few failed deployements or after shutting them in off in Uconnect.

Users who are viewing this thread