5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know what size screw this is suppose to be?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Top screw fit okay. Bottom one can't even go in before the threads start.
Ive no idea what size it's suppose to be.
Seller claimed that this only fits classic not new body styles (after the fact).

Was only $13 and I got refunded. It still kind of fits but I feel like if there is any upward pressure or bouncing it would pop out.

Does anyone know why the bottom might not fit?
Should this fit?

2022-04-11 12.07.42.jpg 2022-04-11 12.08.45.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've read that some of the grommet kits on ebay come with the wrong sized bolts. Same with one of the Amazon kits. I bought mine from Mopar, and the bottom bolts are smaller than the top bolts. The kit I bought was specifically for 4th gens, since Mopar doesn't offer them for 5th gens. If the bolts are all the same size on your kit then you definitely have the wrong bolts. As for size, I couldn't tell you without measuring one. I'll try to remember to do that when I get home from work today, but I can't promise I'll remember.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've read that some of the grommet kits on ebay come with the wrong sized bolts. Same with one of the Amazon kits. I bought mine from Mopar, and the bottom bolts are smaller than the top bolts. The kit I bought was specifically for 4th gens, since Mopar doesn't offer them for 5th gens. If the bolts are all the same size on your kit then you definitely have the wrong bolts. As for size, I couldn't tell you without measuring one. I'll try to remember to do that when I get home from work today, but I can't promise I'll remember.
I THINK they were the same size as top.
I didn't have the T bit to install so I used a hex head and made the mistake of using my M18 impact driver... I have the correct bits now so ill take one off the top and see if the bottom threads in.
The bottom screw hole is defiantly smaller then the top I think.

I don't know if ill ever use it as a bed extender, but I use it as a divider all the time so I want to be able to have it mounted but I can't justify spending $100 bucks on 4 Mopar screws with plastic on them.
Are the 4th gens considered "classic" or is that different? I could try to find a listing for the 4th gen that doesn't stay classic like the ones I bought.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah. It's the same size screw, but it is a different screw. The tops are all threaded, the bottom one doesnt have thread for a quarter of the bolt, but is too large to fit into the hole.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't have time to measure that bolt yesterday. I'll try again today. My opinion of course, but at this point you might be better off just buying the Mopar part.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Removed one of mine and measured it. Surprisingly, it's not metric. It's 3/8" coarse thread. Two inches long, with about a 15/16" shoulder.

View attachment 127802
Thanks for checking.

I took the plunge and tried to order one on Amazon vs E-bay.

I found one that fits our trucks and it's only $26 bucks (all 4)

I figured I would try 1 more time before I went crazy and tried to get some odd screw shapes/sizes.
I find it interesting it's not Metric considering basically everything else on cars seem to be metric.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just going by eyeball, but the threads look like 10 x 1.5.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m just going by eyeball, but the threads look like 10 x 1.5.
That's what I thought it was too. But a 10x1.5 nut will not thread onto it. Like I said above, it's not metric, it's 3/8 coarse thread.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I thought it was too. But a 10x1.5 nut will not thread onto it. Like I said above, it's not metric, it's 3/8 coarse thread.
That’s very odd. I was under the assumtion that nothing on any modern vehicles with the exception of brakelines is sae-threaded.

Reaction score
djevox was close. The top bolt is actually a M12 X 1.50. Ask me how I know - been chasing that sob down everywhere. By top bolt, I mean the one with the swivel that locks the extender in place.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
djevox was close. The top bolt is actually a M12 X 1.50. Ask me how I know - been chasing that sob down everywhere. By top bolt, I mean the one with the swivel that locks the extender in place.
We were discussing the bottom bolt at that time, not the top one. I didn't check the top one. Were you successful in locating a top bolt?

Users who are viewing this thread