5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone installed lights under truck?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am looking at installing LEDs underneath the truck and am deciding between just under the running board area that come on with the running boards deploying or maybe that and more lights that are different colored that can be turned on and off with a switch. Anyone that has done this can you share insight and install pics?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been thinking to do this as well - Bought some LED strips to use in the bed and the cab; still deciding on the underbody set being LED strips or pod style lights.

I'm planning to to switch them but as well, have them trigger off the cargo lights, that way they're on when I've unlocked + loading the bed

borden72

Reaction score
I have stationary running boards on my truck. I installed these lights at the bottom of the cab and wired them into the lights in the front foot wells so they turn on when I unlock the truck.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have stationary running boards on my truck. I installed these lights at the bottom of the cab and wired them into the lights in the front foot wells so they turn on when I unlock the truck.

How long have you had these installed? Any issues? From the reviews on Amazon they don't seem to last very long before there are problems.

borden72

Reaction score
How long have you had these installed? Any issues? From the reviews on Amazon they don't seem to last very long before there are problems.
I've had them on for about 2 months. So far no issues. For about $25 I figured I'd give them a shot.

borden72

Reaction score
Did you stick them with the sticky tape backing alone or use additional adhesive?
I used the sticky back tape that comes with the lights. They are stuck on pretty good. No issues loosening up so far.

Dsimas510

Reaction score

Where did you find the wiring diagram? I have magnum running boards with the light kit but can’t seem to find the wire I can connect to that would kick on the lights on the running boards when I unlock the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

borden72

Reaction score
Where did you find the wiring diagram? I have magnum running boards with the light kit but can’t seem to find the wire I can connect to that would kick on the lights on the running boards when I unlock the truck.

Someone had posted in here how to do it. I used a test light and locked and unlocked the truck to verify the power wire. Under the dash, there are 2 lights on each side for the floor board. You want the light that only lights up when you unlock the truck. The other comes one when your driving lights are on and is dimmable.

Dsimas510

Reaction score
Someone had posted in here how to do it. I used a test light and locked and unlocked the truck to verify the power wire. Under the dash, there are 2 lights on each side for the floor board. You want the light that only lights up when you unlock the truck. The other comes one when your driving lights are on and is dimmable.

Thank you for your help. I just picked up a test light to give this a shot. I peeked under the dash and it seems like there are a million wires. Any idea which specific area the wire is to narrow it down? Thank you again for your help.

borden72

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I just picked up a test light to give this a shot. I peeked under the dash and it seems like there are a million wires. Any idea which specific area the wire is to narrow it down? Thank you again for your help.

The lights are along the edge of the dash, about knee or shin area. there's about 4 wires. 2 for the lights that light up when unlocked and 2 for the lights that come on with running lights if I remember right. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

Dsimas510

Reaction score
The lights are along the edge of the dash, about knee or shin area. there's about 4 wires. 2 for the lights that light up when unlocked and 2 for the lights that come on with running lights if I remember right. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

Still able to send a photo? Still haven’t been able to find it. Haha

WildWildWest

Reaction score
I did color changing bed lights and white rock lights on my last Ram. 2 Rock light pods in each wheel well. They were fun to have on that truck! Also had the amp steps which has less that light up when deployed.

Attachments

• A9825BB4-7886-4AB2-ABE9-256FD65E4AAB.jpeg
    A9825BB4-7886-4AB2-ABE9-256FD65E4AAB.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 86

borden72

Reaction score
Still able to send a photo? Still haven’t been able to find it. Haha

Sorry, I had forgotten. This is the passenger side.

Attachments

• 20200517_122359.jpg
    20200517_122359.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 76

drew7811

Reaction score
Naive question, but can you even drive with those on? I figured they'd be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread