5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here have a bedrug? Do you like it?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought my first truck. Mine did not have the spray in liner. Do folks recommend doing a spray in first and then applying the bed rug or does the bed rug work well? My truck buddies are saying water can get underneath and rust away the floor over time. Don't need that! I'd get the impact bed rug. I'll be getting a tonneau cover as well. Thanks for sharing any opinions!

I only had my Bedrugs for four years each, but neither one of my previous trucks had any damage because of them. The underside of the Bedrug is a semi-soft material and from what I can tell, non-abrasive. There were no signs of rubbing through the paint on mine. In fact, the beds looked like brand new out of the factory.

I would not recommend getting a spray-in first. Not only do I think it isn't neccesay, but the Bedrug is held in place using velcro strips and I know of a person that had problems with the tape sticking to the spray-in material.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020666 miles.

tobyw

Reaction score
Would be interested in additional feedback from those who have run one of these WITHOUT a canopy or bed cover? Do these hold up to the elements, car washes, etc? Interesting tidbit regarding the tailgate freezing in place due to the 1-piece construction, that isn't something I had ever considered...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would be interested in additional feedback from those who have run one of these WITHOUT a canopy or bed cover? Do these hold up to the elements, car washes, etc? Interesting tidbit regarding the tailgate freezing in place due to the 1-piece construction, that isn't something I had ever considered...
The Bedrug is very, very durable. Both of mine were open to the elements for four years on two different trucks, and I've had an unlimited car wash program with Delta Sonic which gave me about 300 washes a year. I had spilled oil, anti-freeze, and even gasoline on it and it never hurt it. Bedrug says it'll hold up to battery acid, although I never gave it that kind of test. Oddly, the only thing that did stain it was an old brake rotor that I carried around for several weeks.

They clean up very easily with soap and water. I had even vacuumed it a few times, although that generated some laughs from a couple of my neighbors.

My work around for the frozen tailgate problem was to sever the tailgate portion from the bed portion and to ensure there was enough material cut away so that the two sections didn't meet when the tailgate is closed. Never had a problem after that.

I would recommend it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020666 miles.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals!

I'm considering buying a bed rug for my Ram. I have a truck shell on the back, which I love. I also have a spray-in bedliner, which is nice, but really hard on my knees and ankles when crawling up in there to get stuff in/out. It's also a little abrasive on some stuff you might want to slide in and out of the bed without scratching it all up.

So I'm looking at the bedrug bottom only, as well as the gator one bottom only. I'm curious how those of you who have this thing like it or don't like it. I carry mostly power tools and supplies in the back of my truck - chop saw, table saw, etc. Also plumbing/electrical supplies, sometimes lumber (I have a hitch extender). Once in a while leftover trash. Sometimes I leave the tailgate down to carry the longer stuff.

How well does this thing work to hold things in place? Can you slide stuff in easily without worrying about it sliding all over the place when you *don't* want it to move? How easy is it to clean when you do get stuff in there - I don't carry much dirt or stuff like that but sawdust tends to accumulate because of the saws.

If anyone has any pics of this in their truck that would be great too!
doesn't this cause moisture to build up under the bed rug or the bed rug to stay wet we've had a very rainy summer this year and my truck bed is wet half the time now

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
doesn't this cause moisture to build up under the bed rug or the bed rug to stay wet we've had a very rainy summer this year and my truck bed is wet half the time now

The material itself will not pass water, however I had found water under both of my Bedrugs due to leaks at the seams where the sides meets the bottom. This did not affect anything as far as I could tell and it does seem to dry out over time.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020672 miles.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It wouldn't be an issue for me because I have a cap on my truck.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not an issue anyway. It's a bedliner. It's meant to be outside. It won't trap in water anymore than a traditional drop in bed liner does.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bringing this back live, because I'm about to do this but I realized I forgot to ask a question for those who have one: how much space does it take up? Can you still comfortably slide a sheet of plywood or sheet rock between the wheel wells with room to spare?

I need to know because I'm going to install a couple of custom plywood tool corrals on the wheel wells when I'm done. Ram says the width between the wheel wells is 51". The plywood is 3/4" so that puts me at 49.5" without the bed rug. If the bed rug takes up more than 1" total on either side of the wheel well I would be SOL.

Does anyone know what the measurement is with one installed, or can anyone take a measurement for me if you already have one? Thanks a ton!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bringing this back live, because I'm about to do this but I realized I forgot to ask a question for those who have one: how much space does it take up? Can you still comfortably slide a sheet of plywood or sheet rock between the wheel wells with room to spare?

I need to know because I'm going to install a couple of custom plywood tool corrals on the wheel wells when I'm done. Ram says the width between the wheel wells is 51". The plywood is 3/4" so that puts me at 49.5" without the bed rug. If the bed rug takes up more than 1" total on either side of the wheel well I would be SOL.

Does anyone know what the measurement is with one installed, or can anyone take a measurement for me if you already have one? Thanks a ton!
Well, let me break out my trusty RAM tape measure!

B04C7E58-9E11-48CA-AD37-16167947FFFC.jpeg

It sits nice and tight to the wheel wells.. you should be good. When I first installed it, it was a little loose but it settled and tightened up nicely.

C5080942-5CBB-4076-8DC0-49F21678B4D9.jpeg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, I've had two Bedrugs and really liked them. You will be able to fit a 4x8 sheet between the wheel wells with the Bedrug installed.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025767 miles.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! That helps a ton - thanks for going out and measuring that for me!
No problem. Be aware, I have the Impact Liner which has the “rug” material on the sides and bulkhead, and a composite floor. However, I suspect the traditional BedRug fits similarly.

Rick J

Reaction score
I would not recommend getting a spray-in first. Not only do I think it isn't neccesay, but the Bedrug is held in place using velcro strips and I know of a person that had problems with the tape sticking to the spray-in material.

Best regards,
Dusty
I got the floor only bed rug because I have the spray in bed liner from the factory. The spray in bed liner is quite abrasive so I put in the bed rug. The Velcro strips stick fine to the spray in bed liner when you use the preparation fluid they send with the bed rug.

MF2020

Reaction score
Bed Rug, Spray in bed liner... Love it!!! Bed Rug purchased over 5 years ago for my 2011 Ram fit my 2020 Ram and it still looks like new! Easy to clean, easy on the knees and keeps stuff from sliding all over.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should have updated this, but I forgot :eek: I ended up buying the bed rug and I really like it - I didn't bother using the velcro, and it doesn't move inside the bed even when I'm sliding really heavy crap on it. I had 9 80 lb bags of concrete on it the other day sliding them in and out and it didn't budge. Then I hauled an old heavy stove from one of the properties to the dump and slid it all over the place inside and it didn't budge. I like the fact that it's easy to slide stuff, but paradoxically stuff stays in place once you put it there. How it works like that is beyond me, but it does.

Barney556180

Reaction score
I believe the Velcro attachment strips are to keep the lightweight Bedrug from lofting in an empty bed from the back draft.

Since I always have the bed covered if not carrying something, I never attached the Velcro.

MF2020

Reaction score
I should have updated this, but I forgot :eek: I ended up buying the bed rug and I really like it - I didn't bother using the velcro, and it doesn't move inside the bed even when I'm sliding really heavy crap on it. I had 9 80 lb bags of concrete on it the other day sliding them in and out and it didn't budge. Then I hauled an old heavy stove from one of the properties to the dump and slid it all over the place inside and it didn't budge. I like the fact that it's easy to slide stuff, but paradoxically stuff stays in place once you put it there. How it works like that is beyond me, but it does.
I would velcro it down because it could possibly lift right out of the bed and start flying down the highway. You wouldn't want it to end up on the windshield of another vehicle, could be disastrous for all involved. Anyway, enjoy your new Bed Rug, worth every penny!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had one each in my two 4th gens. Great surface. Easy to keep clean and very durable.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 027777 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread