5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone hearing “pinging” on WOT?

Krootz

Reaction score
That’s what I needed to hear. I’m ordering an oil catch can, I’m hoping that solves the problem. Based on others, seems like the blow by gasses can really mess with the air/fuel intake

jjhall8

Reaction score
That’s what I needed to hear. I’m ordering an oil catch can, I’m hoping that solves the problem. Based on others, seems like the blow by gasses can really mess with the air/fuel intake
Hope it helps. This is my 3rd Hemi and all have had catch cans. Never had any pinging. I accidently filled my Scat Pack Challenger with 87 once and it didn't ping and you are only suppose to run 93 octane in the 6.4L

Krootz

Reaction score
Wow, that explains a lot. I’ve never had a Hemi, never ran a catch can either. Can’t wait to see the results

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Would like it if a ram engineer got on board.

My deduction is that as much as this is an old motor and design, the on board diagnostics with knock/detonation sensors would retard timing and this "pinging" would be near non existent. Its no 1971 ford LTD. Ram would state 89 or better if it was a requirement, but I believe their terminology says 87 is acceptable.

I dont think its pinging, i think its valvetrain noise, injectors, exhaust manifolds and or a combination of them all.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would like it if a ram engineer got on board.

My deduction is that as much as this is an old motor and design, the on board diagnostics with knock/detonation sensors would retard timing and this "pinging" would be near non existent. Its no 1971 ford LTD. Ram would state 89 or better if it was a requirement, but I believe their terminology says 87 is acceptable.

I dont think its pinging, i think its valvetrain noise, injectors, exhaust manifolds and or a combination of them all.

I would love to hear an engineers input as well. Whatever the cause may be, it sure sounds like a “ping” that many of us are familiar with on older engines. I know that in my Titan’s, as quick as I’d hear it under certain conditions, the computer would pull timing and it would go away. Sure this is considered a “band-aid” by many, but on a daily driver it’s generally the simplest way to address it if it’s intermittent. With my Hemi its pretty easily repeatable, although the actual sound isn’t consistent while happening. There are a few noticeably louder pings mixed in with the pretty consistent less audible ones. And if it’s fuel related, I can’t believe that the computer and sensors wouldn’t work to correct it given it happens over such a large range and continuously, even with running higher octane fuel. If it’s some other combination of noises, I am definitely intrigued to learn about it.

Krootz

Reaction score
This is exactly why I think that the PCV valve dumping crankcase fumes into the intake is causing the issue. To me, it makes sense if it’s oil vapor getting introduced at WOT when the intake is drawing through the PCV pipe. I don’t hear anything abnormal or remotely clacky until I open her up all the way. I’m really interested to see what happens after I install the catch can.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is exactly why I think that the PCV valve dumping crankcase fumes into the intake is causing the issue. To me, it makes sense if it’s oil vapor getting introduced at WOT when the intake is drawing through the PCV pipe. I don’t hear anything abnormal or remotely clacky until I open her up all the way. I’m really interested to see what happens after I install the catch can.
The catch can is very interesting, please definitely post back here with your results!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have never heard pinging in our 2019 and 2020 Rams but that may be because I have catch cans on all of them.

Plus, it would be almost impossible for me to hear any pinging at WOT as all I can hear is the screams of “When are you ever going to grow up?” coming from the passenger seat...

Krootz

Reaction score
Hahahaha! Yes! I get yelled at all the time

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Rebel never pinged with 87, pulled several WOT to speed limiter in 90+F weather. Started using 89 with no improvement in MPG or noticeable gains in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread