5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone having water shorting / damage in door speakers?

LGBarnett

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with Alpine audio. I switched out the door speakers with Infinity Reference speakers back in October (rears) and December (fronts). I had one of my fronts go out recently and pulled it out to troubleshoot today. Found the speaker dripping wet and inside of door wet as well. It gets pretty rainy here in Louisiana in Winter. I dried the speaker with a blow dryer (on cool) and hooked it back up and sure enough it is working again. So, to prevent this from reoccurring I sacrificed a rain coat (with busted zipper) and used the fabric to create a shield behind the speaker. It only covers the top 2/3 so it should shed water and allow it to still breath.

Anyone else having similar issues? I searched for speaker, water, damage in multiple ways and have not found any postings. I am curious if I should bring to dealership to have the door better sealed. I am aware they do not expect window seals to be water tight, but man there was some water in there.

41magmag41

Reaction score
I would wonder if the dealer would even touch it since youve added different speakers and had the door apart twice, just a thought.

cmitchell734

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with Alpine audio. I switched out the door speakers with Infinity Reference speakers back in October (rears) and December (fronts). I had one of my fronts go out recently and pulled it out to troubleshoot today. Found the speaker dripping wet and inside of door wet as well. It gets pretty rainy here in Louisiana in Winter. I dried the speaker with a blow dryer (on cool) and hooked it back up and sure enough it is working again. So, to prevent this from reoccurring I sacrificed a rain coat (with busted zipper) and used the fabric to create a shield behind the speaker. It only covers the top 2/3 so it should shed water and allow it to still breath.

Anyone else having similar issues? I searched for speaker, water, damage in multiple ways and have not found any postings. I am curious if I should bring to dealership to have the door better sealed. I am aware they do not expect window seals to be water tight, but man there was some water in there.
Yes, same issue here, noticed when I pulled the stock speakers there was some moisture in the front doors and the speaker harnesses were damp. Didn't think much if it. Installed the infinity speakers and was on my way. About 8 months later driver speaker wasn't working. Pulled the interior door panel off and the speaker was wet and the connections were rusty. Today when it rained, I opened my passenger door and noticed the rubber seal at the bottom of the door was wet. I tugged on it and water was leaking g out of the seal. S8nce it was wet when I pulled the original speakers out, I dont imagine the OEM window visors I out on have anything to do with it. Let me know if you figure it out!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The doors on these Rams are definitely not waterproof. I realize many doors are not, but I don't recall ever seeing as much water get in past the window seals as on my truck. Best thing I can advise is to get (or make) a housing to go behind your speakers. Some a/m speakers come with a plastic case, or you could use some sound deadening material.

Users who are viewing this thread