5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have water in their catch can?

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I had the oil changed at a dealer yesterday, so I did not see what the engine oil looked like but definitely had some water mixed in the catch can. Has anyone had this happen?

Attachments

• 77F15BAA-A71E-4994-A271-9DABDA34011B.jpeg
    77F15BAA-A71E-4994-A271-9DABDA34011B.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 56

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's normal for shorter driving where you don't always get the oil up to operating temp long enough to burn all the moisture out of it.
If you checked it after a long trip, maybe an hour plus, it wouldn't look like milkshake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I would say that THAT doesn't look good.. That reminds me of a motor with a water leak inside the engine. Anyhow, I suspect that jdefoe0424's comments may be accurate. And short trips, are certainly not good for vehicles in the very long run. I always try to make sure I get everything up to operating temps and will drive a little out of my way, on occasion, to make sure. I live in AZ, so really doesn't take that much to get to full temps though. I'll check my catch can when I think of it now that you brought this to my attention.

RiskReward

Reaction score
Emptied my catch can after about a thousand miles just to get an idea of the amount of oil and it was a dark, oil look. Nothing like the peanut butter shake you’re looking at.

I suspect the dealer would have let you know if the oil looked off. If your oil looked like that I’d suspect coolant getting into the engine somehow or a head gasket issue.

Maconi

Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but I thought the 5.7 V8 Hemi didn't need a catch can (port injected, not direct injected)? Is there any benefit to using a can with a port injected engine?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but I thought the 5.7 V8 Hemi didn't need a catch can (port injected, not direct injected)? Is there any benefit to using a can with a port injected engine?
It will still catch oil, obviously. But the biggest reason for doing it with direct injection is that there is no fuel being sprayed on the back of the intake valve to clean off all the garbage that has deposited itself there.
While it's not necessary with the hemi it certainly won't hurt and it's just one more maintenance thing to do.
In the past there have been engines with notoriously terrible pcv systems and people may see it as necessary in that case as well

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you have it correct from what I can comprehend. It kinda falls into the same category as "engine break in, first oil change and how many miles between oil changes"

Users who are viewing this thread