5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have the 2nd to 1st “BUMP” ?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Sounds like you are dealing with the same type of dealership I did when I first brought my truck in, after having it for 2 days. In addition to a very hard bump from 2-1, it would also slam into gear so hard it caused the truck to jump forward. This was with just 122 miles on it, and it did not do it when I drove it off with lot with 44 miles. They had the truck for 3 1/2 weeks and gave me the runaround every time I called for an update until I finally got Ram Cares involved. Finally, they ended up just putting a whole transmission in it since apparently they could never figure out the cause. It will occasionally bump from 2-1 still, but it is not very frequent and not bad enough I worry about it anymore. My Titan would make a pretty good clunk while slowing down every time the converter unlocked.
Mine does this too. Bump on 2-1. Jumps forward on some upshifts. I baby the hell out of my vehicles and don't run them hard so it was surprising to experience this. The fact that you got a whole new transmission and it still bumps is disheartening. Are all RAM transmissions just s#!t? I literally only got into a RAM this year because my Frankentruck Tacoma's transmission finally waved the white flag... after 350,000+ Kms. My brother's 4th gen has no issues at all so I'm frustrated mine does.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this 'bump' on my 2011 F-150. It ended up being not enough grease on the driveshaft splines up toward the front of the driveshaft where it connected near the transmission. There's usually a rubber boot over this connection. The driveshaft actually moves forwards and backwards maybe a half inch or so when power is applied and removed. The bump was because the connection where they mate was dry and would stick until enough pressure forced it forward that 1/2 inch, hence the 'bump'. The TSB called for adding a special grease to the splines and when i did that the bump stopped and never came back. The connection glided back and forth with no sticking.
Not saying this is what it is on your truck, but if my 2020 Limited starts doing it I will look there first.

2020Limited

Reaction score
Sorry about long delay of any update. I sent an email to head of service department about a month ago saying that something has to be done or I was going to start contacting lots of people higher up on the food chain. That seemed to garner some attention. Got a response from him about a week later saying Chysler said to install new transmission. Took it in Friday and just picked it up. Driving home, it didn’t seem to “bump”. Time driving will tell more. 5,345 miles on odometer.

2020 Limited

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry about long delay of any update. I sent an email to head of service department about a month ago saying that something has to be done or I was going to start contacting lots of people higher up on the food chain. That seemed to garner some attention. Got a response from him about a week later saying Chysler said to install new transmission. Took it in Friday and just picked it up. Driving home, it didn’t seem to “bump”. Time driving will tell more. 5,345 miles on odometer.

2020 Limited
Thank you for following up to share this update, @2020Limited! If you ever happen to need any support down the road, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM.

Mark
RamCares

Reaction score

2020 Limited
New transmission fix the problem for good?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I can say that after having my transmission replaced the bump still persists. If I lower the truck(air suspension) when it is in gear at a stop, I replicate the issue with sometimes multiple “bumps”. I’m going to try lubricating the driveshaft splines next.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had it on my 19' Ltd. I thought there was a TSB cause' that was the only time I ever took it to service other than 3 oil changes. It was fixed and never happened again. I'm pretty sure it was 2 - 1...

KrustyKush

Reaction score
Mine does it, too. 2021 1500 5.7 with just over 5k on it. Used mostly for trailering an RV. While on its first trip away from home last month, the transmission "glitched" twice at two different times and days, by failing to shift up from 1st while accelerating from a stop. Both times I stopped, put the trans into Park, and then back to Drive a couple times, and problem disappeared. As for the slowing-to-a-stop "bump" yes it does it and it is noticeable, but I don't mind it. As I coast down to a stop I can feel the trans shift down thru the gears until it gets to first. I kind of like that.

Users who are viewing this thread